Wiki Posts
Search

Full Gate Screening to Return

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Full Gate Screening to Return

According to this Yahoo Article link full gate screening is on its way back. This article coupled with information from some contacts here at MSP indicate that this screening will be for all flights and all passengers. In otherwords your bag and person will be searched for a second time completely. There will be no randomness in this process and the flights will not be allowed to leave until every person has been screened. Their current estimates are that it will take approximately 2 hour for a two person team to screen a flight of 100 people.

My contacts indicate this is most likely the precurser to an absolute ban on all carry on luggage.

Gee I am glad I am not flying tomorrow.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:54 pm

Why a second screening? Because the sterile area isn't? How about going for the trifecta?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:54 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
I landed in DAY around 5:00pm today.

I saw extra TSA employees at the gates screening departing pax.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Looks like the terrorists have won this round without actually doing physical damage.

We are paralyzed with fear.

Commerce will slow down. This will be a huge blow to the economy. Coupled with the other negative news in the economy, look for a significant downturn.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
My contacts indicate this is most likely the precurser to an absolute ban on all carry on luggage.
Agreed. The TSA will claim that it's impossible to completely screen all the carryons in a reasonable time and thus, they must be banned.

What fools.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:00 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Has anyone actually calculated the cost of the measures implemented after the British non-incident? It might have been Al-qaeda best move so far, from a cost/benefit point of view. They did, well, nothing except leak their plans, and whooosh, all the world, fear ensues.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:02 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
A ridiculous example of overreacting. I really think that they've gone overboard with this. Any bets on which airlines will fold once travel demand plummets?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:06 pm

This will destroy business travel. Which will destroy the airlines. Which they won't allow.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
I hope they all fold, the airlines deserve it for allowing the government to set such ridiculous standards. The only we as citizens can send the message that we won't stand for this is with our wallets. I hope and pray that demand for air travel plummets, and these airlines are forced into bankruptcy, and eventually go out of business. Maybe our government will actually give a damn then.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Richelieu
Has anyone actually calculated the cost of the measures implemented after the British non-incident? It might have been Al-qaeda best move so far, from a cost/benefit point of view. They did, well, nothing except leak their plans, and whooosh, all the world, fear ensues.
Agree. And the two dozen arrested were probably the waterboys. Easy to sacrifice the interns, especially when it hits a home run in western world paranoia.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Such an absolute ban is not sustainable over the longer-term.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:19 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Such an absolute ban is not sustainable over the longer-term.
I remember the time where airlines were state-owned and provided public service with no concerns for profitability. Maybe it's the direction we're slowly taking: if they are truly implementing five-hours security scanning like that moron security experts in the CNN news advised, I can't see private companies providing air transport making any money. The main advantage of airplanes, speed and convenience, is going to disappear except for long flights where no other option is available. Longer delay in small airports will make the hub strategy that keeps airlines profitable unpractical if they do that. I don't see this policy enforceable in the long term, unless the government don't care about the air travel industry.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:00 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by rebadc
I landed in DAY around 5:00pm today.

I saw extra TSA employees at the gates screening departing pax.
We flew into BHM this afternoon. Same deal--TSA setting up secondary bag check tables at all the gates. The reason is that you can buy items no longer allowed onboard the plane inside the sterile area. At least in ATL they posted signs saying the toothpastes, gell deodorants etc are not for sale.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Originally Posted by jonesing
We flew into BHM this afternoon. Same deal--TSA setting up secondary bag check tables at all the gates. The reason is that you can buy items no longer allowed onboard the plane inside the sterile area. At least in ATL they posted signs saying the toothpastes, gell deodorants etc are not for sale.
economic impact of the loss of sale of legitimate goods? $100 million.

economic impact of loss of airline tickets? $100 billion.

economic impact of stupidity of the TSA? priceless
Old Aug 10, 2006, 9:04 pm

Programs: Delta MM
To be truly secure, why don't they search people as they depart the airport just to get a head start? Those people will eventually have a return flight, right? And random traffic stops to search for people with airline tickets and toothpaste might be a good next step. We can never be too careful, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.