Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Full Gate Screening to Return

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2006, 9:31 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Another point. Uric Acid (present in urine) can be distilled and made into an explosive compound (so says the Poor Man's James Bond, I haven't tried it).

Maybe the in-flight lavatories will be shut down now, too.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 9:39 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enthusiastic flier
While I'm not completely denying what you're saying, I feel compelled to repeat what I said on a different thread in the same forum a couple of days back: It doesn't take a lot to buddy up w/a janitor or whatever who's going to be on duty the same time you're gonna be airside. And that's not even being creative.
For that matter, it probably doesn't take much to buddy up with the caterers for the flights, either. Guess we WILL have to ban in-flight beverage services after all.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 9:41 am

Programs: UA MP, Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by UMassCanuck07
Ummmm....have you read the news? The terrorists were going to use liquid explosives. That is why. While the vendors and products are screened in the X-Ray machine, they are not checked more thoroughly. While it is unlikely, someone could sneak something through for someone else that way.
Yes, I have be reading and watching the news and I know they were using liquid explosives and I know they are afraid the bottled beverages sold after security in the terminal could have been tampered with, but the terrorists cannot magically turn a bottle of water or coke into explosives. But that brings me back to my main point...This threat was mainly based around threats taking place in the UK and a certain UK sports drink and while I know we must take precautions here and I am more than happy to not take my own drinks on the plane for the immediate future it just is hard for me to understand them not allowing people to buy bottles of water or diet coke in the terminal after security and take them on the plane. The whole thing doesn't bother me a whole lot because I never drink much while I am flying anyway, but I know alot of people either want to or need drink alot of water while flying for health reasons and such.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 9:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Dave8481
Yes, I have be reading and watching the news and I know they were using liquid explosives and I know they are afraid the bottled beverages sold after security in the terminal could have been tampered with, but the terrorists cannot magically turn a bottle of water or coke into explosives. But that brings me back to my main point...This threat was mainly based around threats taking place in the UK and a certain UK sports drink and while I know we must take precautions here and I am more than happy to not take my own drinks on the plane for the immediate future it just is hard for me to understand them not allowing people to buy bottles of water or diet coke in the terminal after security and take them on the plane. The whole thing doesn't bother me a whole lot because I never drink much while I am flying anyway, but I know alot of people either want to or need drink alot of water while flying for health reasons and such.
Like has been mentioned a few times over the last 30 hours, not all workers in the terminal go through the background searches. At most airports only the SIDA workers go through the background checks and FBI fingerprinting. An unsavory person could be working at Hudson News helping the terrorists. Better to be safe.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by exerda
For that matter, it probably doesn't take much to buddy up with the caterers for the flights, either. Guess we WILL have to ban in-flight beverage services after all.
Just another hole in the system. There is nothing preventing someone with a bomb package from waiting along an airport perimeter road, have their colleague, perhaps a catering or ramp worker stop their truck for a moment, toss the package over the fence undetected, then it will get loaded on the aircraft.

I could sit here all day long coming up with holes the TSA will never plug.

We need to face some facts - we will never be fully safe and risk is part of the equation.

By now, with more information at hand, the TSA should be preparing to unwind these screening procedures and return things to normal. If there is evidence the threat is still out there, we should be notified.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 9:55 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by etch5895
Another point. Uric Acid (present in urine) can be distilled and made into an explosive compound (so says the Poor Man's James Bond, I haven't tried it).

Maybe the in-flight lavatories will be shut down now, too.
I have an idea -- let's just ban passengers.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
There are some obvious things here.

1. An absolute ban on carryons is a non starter. It may be fine for grandma and grandpa, but not for business travelers. I need my papers while aboard the airplane and cannot afford the risk of delay or loss of those materials and my computer, Blackberry, cell phone etc if they are placed in the hold.
Grandma and Grampa probably have important medicines. It's certainly not fine for them!
Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Axey
We don't need to go that far off the cliff. First we can have virtual strip searches; then the full-monty; then body cavity searches; then medication to flush the digestive and excretory system; then chained passengers; then naked only passengers; then sedated passengers; and only then no passengers.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:43 am

Programs: Lots
I'm really just waiting for the underwear bomber. You guys just wait'n'see what the TSA has in store for us then!!
Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
We don't need to go that far off the cliff. First we can have virtual strip searches; then the full-monty; then body cavity searches; then medication to flush the digestive and excretory system; then chained passengers; then naked only passengers; then sedated passengers; and only then no passengers.
"Virtual strip search"? Help me out here, the imagination isn't up to speed today.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:49 am

Thats what the Onion said.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:51 am

Programs: UA MP, Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by UMassCanuck07
Like has been mentioned a few times over the last 30 hours, not all workers in the terminal go through the background searches. At most airports only the SIDA workers go through the background checks and FBI fingerprinting. An unsavory person could be working at Hudson News helping the terrorists. Better to be safe.
No, I totally agree I was just seeing what it's like to play devils advocate. I was telling everyone who would listen yesterday in cases like this I would always error on the side of caution. The only thing I don't like is that if there is some indication US domestic flights are at risk then I would appreciate them letting us know something since this operation is no longer a secret.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:55 am

I'm really just waiting for the underwear bomber. You guys just wait'n'see what the TSA has in store for us then!!
They'll be looking for Weapons of ... Destruction ...
Old Aug 11, 2006, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by etch5895
"Virtual strip search"? Help me out here, the imagination isn't up to speed today.
Backskatter X-Ray -- Supposedly only strong enough to get through your close, but not penatrate the skin. Safety of this is questionable.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by enthusiastic flier
While I'm not completely denying what you're saying, I feel compelled to repeat what I said on a different thread in the same forum a couple of days back: It doesn't take a lot to buddy up w/a janitor or whatever who's going to be on duty the same time you're gonna be airside. And that's not even being creative.
Exactly what you have said. The primary is rendered pointless if you have a secondary for everyone at the gate. In that senario, I could care less if people were getting guns from the janitor, the clerk at the water bottle store, or anywhere else, because it should be caught at the gate screening, and you are not airside until after the gate screening. Thus the main checkpoint is pointless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.