Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Current liquid rules in the USA and Singapore?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I will be flying between SIN-EWR soon and have a few question about the current security rules:

* Is it possible to buy bottles of water airside at USA airports and take them to the flight? (specifically at LAX, SFO, EWR, JFK)

* Is it possible to buy bottles of water airside at SIN and take them onboard a flight to the USA? I understand there is a secondary screening directly at the gate. Are bottles in tamper-proof bags allowed through?

* Would the TSA usually confiscate 100ml bottles? (they are slightly larger than 3oz)

Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:09 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
* Is it possible to buy bottles of water airside at USA airports and take them to the flight? (specifically at LAX, SFO, EWR, JFK) << yes

* Is it possible to buy bottles of water airside at SIN and take them onboard a flight to the USA? I understand there is a secondary screening directly at the gate. Are bottles in tamper-proof bags allowed through? << last I tried, yes

* Would the TSA usually confiscate 100ml bottles? (they are slightly larger than 3oz) << 3.4 oz is acceptable, and you shouldn't have any problem. but YMMV due to ignorance
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:10 am

* Is it possible to buy bottles of water airside at USA airports and take them to the flight? (specifically at LAX, SFO, EWR, JFK)

Yes, once you clear security there are almost always stores that sell water bottles. Usually they're overly expensive.

* Is it possible to buy bottles of water airside at SIN and take them onboard a flight to the USA?

I don't know specifically about SIN.

I understand there is a secondary screening directly at the gate. Are bottles in tamper-proof bags allowed through?

You may be able to buy bottles once you clear security but I doubt you could bring a "tamper-proof" bottle through as it would be pretty easy to fake the tamper-proof seal.

* Would the TSA confiscate 100ml bottles? (they are slightly larger than 3oz)

If it's important to you I wouldn't risk it. My experience with TSA is that they would be stringent about this, even to the point of disallowing 4 oz containers that are obviously only half full.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Unhappy War on Liquids is Far-Reaching

Is it possible to buy bottles of water airside at SIN and take them onboard a flight to the USA? I understand there is a secondary screening directly at the gate. Are bottles in tamper-proof bags allowed through?
In SIN, the security screening is right at the departure gate, and they will almost certainly not allow you to take liquids onto flights that are headed to the States. Other destinations, there is a slim possibility of them allowing a bottle of water through.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

How is the duty free to the USA handled then? Or is it not allowed at all?
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:14 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
How is the duty free to the USA handled then? Or is it not allowed at all?
The airline delivers your duty-free in the cabin. However, if you have a transfer at LAX or SFO, you won't be able to bring it onto your onward flight(s).
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Wilbur
In SIN, the security screening is right at the departure gate, and they will almost certainly not allow you to take liquids onto flights that are headed to the States. Other destinations, there is a slim possibility of them allowing a bottle of water through.
I flew last month SIN-HKT (Phuket) and they would not allow a bottle of water past the checkpoint.

Keba
Old Apr 16, 2008, 4:16 am

In SIN, you go through immigration, then you enter the duty free area. Security screening for ALL flights take place at the departure gate.

SIN security are pretty strict on the liquids ban, they even managed to notice an half-opened bottle of water in my bag that I left there by accident.

Duty free will be placed in a SIN-approved sealed tamper-proof bag, with receipt clearly shown. These bags will be approved to go through security. Some shops however deliver the goods directly to the gate holdroom, past the security checks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.