Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA Distasteful Dual Standard For Shoe Inspections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2004, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I think walking on filthy hard marble floors is not only totally unsanitary; it is also difficult for many people to do (including me). At LAX Term D you get the usual “We recommend you remove your shoes…..”. Most sheepeople grudgingly de-shoe but many refuse. So these shod people are immediately put in the “holding pen” for DE-SHOEING and WANDING.

As I was l in the “holding pan” and later being wanded and ordered to do the search routine, I noted 4 TSA people each wearing tennis-type shoes walk through the line WITHOUT being told to remove their shoes.

It appears a dual standard does indeed exist. And why the wanding and crap if no metal was detected by the metal detectors, ADM Loy?

Oh yeah, the TSA Martinette "proudly" in charge sneered "All soles or heels over 1 1/4" must come off".

MisterNice

Old Feb 16, 2004, 2:41 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
In Texas
At LBB seems like they make everyone take off there shoes and now putting them outside the tray. But at DAL I was able too keep my tennis shoes on.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think we assume that a TSA employee would never use their access to a secure area to sneak a prohibited item or weapon past the checkpoint and give it to an accomplice on the other side....we just assume that would not happen.

In my opinion, if the pax and crew have to remove everything to cross the checkpoint, then the TSA staff should do exactly the same thing - every single time they cross from a non-secure partition to a secure area, and that includes shoes.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 4:18 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">In my opinion, if the pax and crew have to remove everything to cross the checkpoint, then the TSA staff should do exactly the same thing - every single time they cross from a non-secure partition to a secure area, and that includes shoes. </font>
Crew doesn't have the shoe rule applied to them either. They fit into the group of people that are excluded from that procedure.

Old Feb 16, 2004, 4:33 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bocastephen:
In my opinion, if the pax and crew have to remove everything to cross the checkpoint, then the TSA staff should do exactly the same thing - every single time they cross from a non-secure partition to a secure area, and that includes shoes.[/B]</font>
TSA personnel are screened just like everyone else and if I am wearing shoes with metal I take them off.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 9:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by screenerx:
Crew doesn't have the shoe rule applied to them either. They fit into the group of people that are excluded from that procedure.
</font>
Maybe @ your airport.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 10:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Maybe @ your airport.</font>
I honestly hope your kidding, or that just sets the bar for how stupid TSA is.

Old Feb 16, 2004, 10:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
well, in my opinion, the rules should be applied to everyone equally. At PBI and BWI I have seen flight crews remove their shoes for screening - crews should not have an exemption, nor should TSA staff.

The purpose of this oft controversial process is to screen for prohibited/threatening items, not decide who should be granted easy access to sterile airport areas by deciding some people are "safer" than others by virtue of their employment.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 7:27 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">well, in my opinion, the rules should be applied to everyone equally. At PBI and BWI I have seen flight crews remove their shoes for screening - crews should not have an exemption, nor should TSA staff.
The purpose of this oft controversial process is to screen for prohibited/threatening items, not decide who should be granted easy access to sterile airport areas by deciding some people are "safer" than others by virtue of their employment.

</font>
Flight crew at my airport remove their shoes to, but not because of the shoe policy rule. They remove them because of the shanks inside the bottom of the shoe. If a FC walks through with shoes that meet the height requirement, they don't get pulled over for screening, because there exempt.

Screeners also sometimes remove their shoes because of shanks, but again we're exempt from the height rule.

At least this is what happens at my airport.

[This message has been edited by screenerx (edited Feb 17, 2004).]
Old Feb 17, 2004, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I love the "height requirement."

My experience has been that the shoe fetish is much stronger in CA than anywhere else. This is the only state where I have been told to remove my shoes. Somehow, they are a threat in CA, but not in NY. I don't get it.

Most recent shoe removal order (order is the correct term, there was no suggestion involved), the SAN Commuter Terminal. Fortunately, the screener at LAX T4 had some common sense and did not require me to de-shoe.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
As a follow-up, let me say what is obvious to everyone with an ounce of common sense, but that never gets said:

"THERE IS SPECIFIC INTELLEGENCE REGARDING THE POSSIBILITY OF SHOE BOMBINGS AT CALIFORNIA AIRPORTS."
Old Feb 17, 2004, 9:42 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PresRDC:
"THERE IS SPECIFIC INTELLEGENCE REGARDING THE POSSIBILITY OF SHOE BOMBINGS AT CALIFORNIA AIRPORTS."</font>
I think that is a lie. The TSA is perpetuating this lie to keep their useless jobs. There is nothing that can be hidden in shoes that cannot be hidden on or in a person. The terrorists chatter, we act like imbeciles. The terrorists laugh their asses off.

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Feb 17, 2004, 4:08 pm

The TSA shoe fetish is a load.

"Not @ MY Airport"...

This and some other posts on this topic prove a GIANT problem with the TSA. They are INCONSISTENT from airport to airport and even from between Security areas at any given airport.

Make a point whenever you are jerked around because of your tennis shoes to ask for the Supervisor and complain. Then engage him/her in uncomfortable conversation and questions regarding the Shoe policy and inconsistency. Be courteous but try to occupy their time for 15 minutes if you have the time. If everyone did this, it might help avoid shoe abuse.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 4:16 pm

Another example of reactionary practices designed to falsely re-assure the general public...rather than spending resources averting danger on our flights.

The IRONIC thing:...either someone is hiding metal or they are hiding something non-metal.

If they are hiding Metal:
THEN THE DETECTOR WOULD GO OFF! (So no need to remove shoes)

If you are hiding NON-Metal (plastic explosives?):
THEN THE TERRORIST WOULD STICK IT IN HIS JOCK STRAP AND WALK THROUGH LIKE NORMAL! (So no point in removing shoes)
Old Feb 17, 2004, 5:31 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PresRDC:
"THERE IS SPECIFIC INTELLEGENCE REGARDING THE POSSIBILITY OF SHOE BOMBINGS AT CALIFORNIA AIRPORTS."</font>
If shoe-hell is an indicator of "specific intelligence," I'll bet all the threat data points to LEX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.