Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Since announcement on shoe removal I have taken off shoes every time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:06 am
Original Poster

I was under the impression that the removal of shoes at security was now optional?
I have been forced to remove them more now than before.(Every time as opposed to almost never) Anyone else found that to be true???

[This message has been edited by jimc_usa (edited 07-25-2003).]
Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This isn't In The News stuff, but let's continue the discussion in the Security forum. Thanks for posting!

--richard, moderator
Old Jul 25, 2003, 12:32 pm
Suspended

I must be very lucky, this week ( 7/20 to 7/24)I went through security in TPA, MIA (twice) ORD, LAX and SFO and did not have to take my shoes off once ( though it was suggested in most places) and even more surprising did not once get the secondary either.

Reports here had said that at SFO they had been ordering everybody to take shoes off, but TSA guy only glanced at them and let me through.
I have two pairs of ECCOs I always use when I fly, could it be that they now can recognise them?? We can only hope.
mike
Old Jul 25, 2003, 6:46 pm

SMF - Terminal B (Alaska Airlines) yesterday - "We STRONGLY encourage EVERYONE to remove their shoes and pass them through the x-ray machine."

Since I walked through Terminal B (United) 3 days ago with the exact same shoes and no problem I walked through with them on at the Alaska checkpoint. Bingo! We have a winner! Off to secondary with you, citizen!

This afternoon at SEA, "N" gate checkpoint. Same shoes - I walk through with no problems.

By the way, SEA's security lines weren't bad today at "N" but it looked like a zoo over at "C"/"D".
Old Jul 26, 2003, 3:46 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MIKESILV:
I have two pairs of ECCOs I always use when I fly, could it be that they now can recognise them?? We can only hope.
mike
</font>
I can't speak for other screeners but I can say that I've never taken note of what brand of shoes passengers are wearing. I'm also so confused up here by conflicting procedures from different supervisors and leads that I honestly could not tell you what our official shoe policy is.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 6:42 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I would prefer to walk through the metal detector with my shoes on and then be wanded down, than to take my shoes off and walk through barefoot.

Besides, there are so many screeners standing around on the other side of the X-ray machine, I figure, heck, might as well 1) keep my shoes on 2) get some use out of my tax dollars and 3) watch the screeners do some work for once.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 9:40 am

I wear Bass soft-soled slip-ons, rather European in appearance, when I travel. I had a screener at IAD wand them, they're metal-free, but I just slip them off and dump them in the tray regardless. Don't like the whole thing but it saves time.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 6:58 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
At SMF this week, you were given 2 options:

"We STRONGLY ADVISE YOU to put your shoes thru the metal detector.

or

You don't, and you are automatically directed to secondary screening, where they take off your shoes and run them thru the metal detector
Old Aug 1, 2003, 7:42 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DADISGARYK:
You don't, and you are automatically directed to secondary screening, where they take off your shoes and run them thru the metal detector</font>
God@#$% punks.

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Aug 1, 2003, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Last week in HNL, it was the same choice--take off shoes or go through secondary screening. I really regretted that I did not have time to go through secondary screening. But, I did get them to agree to allow me to put on house slippers which I had in my carry on.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 9:51 pm

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=1&content=583

You are NOT required to take off your shoes before entering the checkpoint. Now listen carefully next time. Did they say "We suggest" or "We encourage" or did they say, "Hey You! Take your shoes off!" ?

However, note the following phrase: "TSA screeners have also been trained to look for suspicious footwear that may require secondary screening regardless of whether the metal detectors alarm."

This is true, the TSA has been trained to screen certain footwear, regardless. Are they going to tell you what they are? No. Intelligence analyst don't just gathter intell to spread around to the general public.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 10:30 pm

Actually that's a loophole created in that policy so that if someone does want to complain to TSA about removing shoes, they can say well "We thought they were supsicious".
Old Aug 8, 2003, 8:29 am

I'm finding the policies more inconsistent than ever. Last weekend, a screener at BDL told me that all sneakers were fine. However, at ONT, they were "suggesting" that shoes with a 1" thick sole be removed. I asked the screener whether I would be pulled for secondary if I wore the sneakers I had on through the metal detector and she said I would.

Same shoes, two different airports, two different policies.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 6:16 pm

I could be wrong - but, accustomed to "having" to take my shoes off at NY airports - I VOLUNTEERED to do so in SAN. Got an immediate second screening. Perhaps my "wilingness" made me suspect?
Old Aug 8, 2003, 6:38 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by freshair:
I could be wrong - but, accustomed to "having" to take my shoes off at NY airports - I VOLUNTEERED to do so in SAN. Got an immediate second screening. Perhaps my "wilingness" made me suspect? </font>
Nothing made you suspect, it's just random. Screeners don't have the time, training, or inclination to figure out if someone is suspicious or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.