Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Since announcement on shoe removal I have taken off shoes every time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Since announcement on shoe removal I have taken off shoes every time

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2003, 11:36 pm

Location: Huntsville AL, previously Kwajalein - Republic of the Marshall Islands
Programs: CO Plat, DL Plat
Try wearing flip-flops. After my last fiasco at FLL & HNL I decided to do what the "locals" do here in the islands. Last week I wore 'em and did not have to take them off (or get the "secondary") at HNL or HSV. Guess they figure you can't hide anything there!
Old Aug 11, 2003, 6:02 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
"Nothing made you suspect, it's just random. Screeners don't have the time, training, or inclination to figure out if someone is suspicious or not."

That comment is scary, really scary!!!! I really hope my tax money is paying the TSA for something better that in the above comment!

Old Aug 11, 2003, 7:21 am

No, CATSAscreener is right. TSA did not put us screeners through training to detect suspect people/shoes. I agree that we should have undergone much more extensive training. Otherwise, why not just keep the private companies. We basically did the same training they had to go through except more hours of it. That's why so many people complain, because it is window dressing security. If we were properly and thoroughly trained you would be able to see a large improvement in security. But the TSA decided they could hit that NOV deadline in 2002 so they could prove a point and not train their people as well as hire ex-cons. It doesn't make me proud of the agency I work for, but it does put bread on the table.....for now.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Yesterday at CVG I refused to take my cheap sandals off.(Which I wore intentionally, as I knew they wouldn't set the detector off.)

Sure enough, he sends me for the full body cavity check, where they couldn't even get anything to beep on me...
Old Aug 11, 2003, 12:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by OrlandoFlyer:
"Nothing made you suspect, it's just random. Screeners don't have the time, training, or inclination to figure out if someone is suspicious or not."

That comment is scary, really scary!!!! I really hope my tax money is paying the TSA for something better that in the above comment!

</font>
Sorry to frighten you, but that's the way it is. We have the exact same training regime up here as the TSA does and it's a joke with padded hours just to make it look good to the casual political oversight type.
I personally think that screener training should be a two week intensive course with real standards held a centralized location. Law, ethics, customer service and weapon/explosives identification would be emphasized to a much greater extend and at a centralized location they could actually show us a collection of real bombs and firearms and test them through x-rays. Weeding out of undesirables could also be done on a two week course.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 5:45 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
So why does the TSA tell us otherwise?
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">TSA's increased focus on screening shoes in recent months reflects a necessary reaction to information gathered by federal intelligence agencies.

In order to provide a high level of security with the least amount of inconvenience, TSA has produced the following policy for the screening of footwear:

*TSA does NOT require that passengers remove their shoes prior to proceeding through the security checkpoint.
*However, any person that alerts while proceeding through the checkpoint will be subject to a secondary screening to determine the source of the alarm.
*TSA screeners have also been trained to look for suspicious footwear that may require secondary screening regardless of whether the metal detectors alarm.

If you know that your shoes will alarm the metal detector, you may choose to take them off prior to entering the checkpoint and place them in a TSA provided bin so they may be cleared through the x-ray machines.
</font>
(emphasis added)
From http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=1&content=583
Old Aug 11, 2003, 6:22 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pdhenry:
So why does the TSA tell us otherwise?</font>
Because the management of the TSA are filthy liars.

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Aug 11, 2003, 7:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pdhenry:
So why does the TSA tell us otherwise? </font>
The "training" consisted of a vague memo telling screeners to check out shoes with one inch or thicker soles... or something to that effect. We got a similar memo up here a couple days later. I can't remember exactly what it said.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 7:30 pm

If you would refer to my previous post, it is also a loophole so the airports can use the excuse that your shoes "looked suspicious" and they can't be blamed for anything. It's just a way for them to have everyone remove their shoes and get away with it.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
I haven't taken my shoes off once, nor will I for this nonsense.

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin
Old Aug 11, 2003, 9:03 pm

The only time that you absolutely have to take off your shoes is if (1)you alarm the walk-through metal detector and (2)your shoes subsequently alarm the hand-held metal detector.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 11:33 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Fenito:
If you would refer to my previous post, it is also a loophole so the airports can use the excuse that your shoes "looked suspicious" and they can't be blamed for anything. It's just a way for them to have everyone remove their shoes and get away with it.</font>
Well of course, the "looked suspicous" or "we think it might be dangerous so it can't go" loopholes are just assumed.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 3:54 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
I haven't taken my shoes off once, nor will I for this nonsense.

</font>
With you all the way on this one.

Old Aug 25, 2003, 2:47 pm

Pretty the shoe policy is this,

1) Do not instruct passengers to take off their shoes.
2) You may "suggest" the passengers to take them off if you feel they may ring or have a 1" sole or bigger.
3) If the sole is not 1" or bigger and you dont ring then you are techinally allowed to go.
4) SOP policy though is for screeners to screen people on a random basis.

Why do you see a lot of screeners standing around now? A lot are lazy or a lot are tired of having to call for a supervisor when a passenger gets ticked off at them for being screen for pretty much no reason.

I honestly still do screening be it random or because someone rings. I dont like the idea of people coming through and seeing me standing there like Im a trained ape.

But one idea that I honestly like is counties(sp?) bag checks with a ETD. It only takes a short time and most the time that I do it most people are still trying to put jeweler and stuff back on when I get down. Really doesnt waste your time.

But a few otheres have said it here, the training we recieved when joining TSA was no different from the training I got with the private company I was with before.

I would the US to go and talk to other countries and put that kind of securtiy into affect, at least at that point I would feel I was doing something to keep people safe.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Screener:

4) SOP policy though is for screeners to screen people on a random basis.

Why do you see a lot of screeners standing around now? A lot are lazy or a lot are tired of having to call for a supervisor when a passenger gets ticked off at them for being screen for pretty much no reason.

I honestly still do screening be it random or because someone rings. I dont like the idea of people coming through and seeing me standing there like Im a trained ape.
</font>
You'd get a lot more respect if you did not randomly harass people without probable cause. If you have to "look busy", I am sure there are a lot of other things you could be doing instead of randomly harassing people. It's a shame your management has no regard for people's civil liberties and I hope they or your entire organization is terminated soon. Your SOP is un-American and an affront to the principles upon which this nation was founded.

Welcome to FlyerTalk, BTW.

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.