Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizen; Which Passport to Use when Traveling between Third Countries?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone... I am basically a newbie when it comes to travelling to third countries as a dual citizen. I've read through some similar threads, but have not figured out any answers to questions relating to my own situation. Hope some posters will be able to help me out.

So here goes:

I am a dual citizen of the UK and Philippines, currently residing in Singapore. I hold passports from both countries, but my Singapore work pass is linked to my Philippine passport. I am planning to visit the US to attend a friend's wedding this year, and was wondering whether I would be eligible to use my British passport and the Visa Waiver program.

I have always used my British passport in Europe, and my Philippine passport in Asia. I know the US is possibly one of the trickiest when it comes to immigration policies, so I just wanted to make sure all my plans are aboveboard. In the past, I have travelled to the US on the Philippine passport but my visa expired in 2009.

I was considering travelling on my British passport because of the convenience provided by the Visa Waiver Program, but I'm worried that since I have entered on a different passport before, it may cause some confusion. Is this really a problem? How should I go about check-in / immigration?

I'd really appreciate some comments if anyone on the board has had similar experiences.

Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:01 pm

Pretty common question.

General rule are simple

1) If you are a citizen of a country or hold a visa for that country then you enter the country on that passport
2) Otherwise you enter on the passport that causes least hassle / visa fees / etc
3) Always leave a country on the passport you entered it with.

In your case you would leave Singapore on your Philippines passport as that's the one you entered Singapore with and enter the US on your British one as you only need ESTA if you wish to use the VWP.

On your return you use the UK passport to leave the US and enter Singapore on your Philippines passport.

If questioned about your eligibility to enter Singapore then you produce your Philippines passport with the visa in it
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

^Thanks for the reply. That all seems pretty straightforward.
So, it shouldn't matter that I have entered the US with different documents in the past? I am just worried that it might cause confusion if they pull up my old record or something like that...
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

I also JUST realized that I have an old I-94 stapled to the Philippine passport I used to enter the US in 2004!!!! Will this affect my use of the Visa Waiver Program in any way? If I send it in to the London, Kentucky address given on US embassy websites, should everything be ok???

I feel like I suddenly have more cause for worry. Anyone?
Old Mar 28, 2010, 1:37 am

So, even if they pull you to the secondary, you will just explain this situation to them and they will let you in... eventually. CBP agents cannot force you to use one citizenship and not another to enter the USA. What if you did not have your Philippine's passport at all with you?
Old Mar 28, 2010, 2:26 am

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
I also JUST realized that I have an old I-94 stapled to the Philippine passport I used to enter the US in 2004!!!!

Eligibility issue

If the US immigration did not have a record of you getting out of USA in 2004, they might consider that you have overstayed and will be refused entry/visa for 5-10 years. Be prepared to show evidence of your flight out USA.

To be safe, I would apply for another US visa. The US consulate will let you know whether you are eligible for entry or you need to proof that you left in 2004 before your I-94 expiration date.

Also, Singapore immigration normally check where you come from. If you left with Philippines passport and no other country stamps, they may question it when you return to SIN.
squeakr likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 3:34 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
There is no question. Whether or not you have an I94 attached to another passport you are entering the USA on your British passport (remember the British passport must permit UK residency to be used for visa waiver to the USA. There are several categories in which UK passports are NOT valid for UK residency. Those require a US visa. Otherwise you're fine. You'll not be using the Philippine documents so no issue at all.

I recommend against asking anything on this issue at a US Consulate. There is no question about your eligibility for visa waiver and the US Consulate, if given an opportunity, may well attmpt to cloud the issue, not clarify it.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 8:42 am
Original Poster

^Thanks for the input everyone. I am a British citizen, with right of residency so using the British passport should be no problem. I'm not too sure about Singapore immigration re: stamps, but I have an employment pass that shows them that I am a resident. Can anyone help clarify this?

I'm collecting documents to prove that I did not overstay in 2004. I no longer have the boarding passes, but I do have transcript of records from my university that shows I attended from 2001-2005... I mean, how could I have graduated in 2005 without actually being there, right?? I also have arrival stamps on my passport that show I came back to the Philippines. I am also trying to look for bank statements that might show some activity in 2004.
If I send all these to the London, Kentucky address given, should I got ahead and use the British passport?

Also, I saw this on the visa waiver website:
"If your admission is denied, you have no right to appeal a determination as to admissibility."

Does this mean that they may not even hear me out at secondary?

Last edited by starlette; Mar 28, 2010 at 8:55 am
Old Mar 28, 2010, 7:28 pm

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Thanks for the input everyone. I am a British citizen, with right of residency so using the British passport should be no problem. I'm not too sure about Singapore immigration re: stamps, but I have an employment pass that shows them that I am a resident. Can anyone help clarify this

You will have no problem returning to Singapore since you have a pass. SIN immigration might just enquire where have you been, and how you entered that destination since you have no indication (stamps) on your PH pasport.

If I send all these to the London, Kentucky address given, should I got ahead and use the British passport?

As indicated on their web-site, it may take up to 4 months for USCIS to update their data.

Also, I saw this on the visa waiver website:
"If your admission is denied, you have no right to appeal a determination as to admissibility."

Does this mean that they may not even hear me out at secondary?

Most likely you have no problem using British passport with Visa Waiver. My suggestion before was to prevent worst case scenario. For most people whose I-94 did not get collected when they left, they had no problem re-entering since USCIS also use airline manifest to check their travel.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; SPG Plat;Hertz Pres Circle; Jelly of the Month Club - Marmalade Level
Don't make things too confusing -

Keep it simple and don't have both passports in your hand when you present the one that is to be used. Have the other one available in case you have to explain anything in response to questions, but don't invite questions by holding on to two very different looking passports.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Most likely you have no problem using British passport with Visa Waiver. My suggestion before was to prevent worst case scenario. For most people whose I-94 did not get collected when they left, they had no problem re-entering since USCIS also use airline manifest to check their travel.

I do hope that my record is clear as per the airline manifest, as I no longer have access to the old boarding passes / tickets. It was so long ago... I bet even if I had them on-hand they would have faded by now. I think I will just proceed with the VWP and bring a copy of the documents I send to London, Kentucky with me when I travel. Here's hoping I don't have any problems at the port of entry.

Keep it simple and don't have both passports in your hand when you present the one that is to be used. Have the other one available in case you have to explain anything in response to questions, but don't invite questions by holding on to two very different looking passports.

Will do. I don't plan on bringing up the other passports unless I am asked.

Thank you both for the info!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Dual citizens, please help? Which passport to use?

Hi everyone,

I hope some posters with experience in traveling as dual citizens can help me out. Some background info:

I am a dual citizen of the UK and the Philippines, currently living and working in Singapore. I have a Singapore employment pass that is linked to my Philippine passport. In the past, I have only ever used my British passport to travel within the EU. I have used my Philippine passport for travel within Southeast Asia and to the United States. My US visa has since expired, so I now plan to travel to the US for the first time on my British passport via the Visa Waiver Program.

I have already received ESTA authorization approval, so I am planning to buy a ticket soon. I may fly via Delta from Singapore - Narita - Cincinnati. Here are my questions:

1. I will be showing the airline my British passport for check in, but will depart from Singapore using my Philippine passport and Employment Pass. Which passport should I show officials at Narita?

2. Will the US officials find it irregular that I have no stamps whatsoever on my British passport? Is it ok to show them my Philippine passport if they ask any questions?

3. I tried asking the British consulate for advice, but naturally they could only speak for UK immigration procedures. Should I enquire elsewhere?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 5:16 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by starlette
1. I will be showing the airline my British passport for check in, but will depart from Singapore using my Philippine passport and Employment Pass. Which passport should I show officials at Narita?
If you are making an international transfer at NRT, will you even encounter any immigration controls? If so, show them your UK passport.

2. Will the US officials find it irregular that I have no stamps whatsoever on my British passport?
Probably not. If they ask, just show them your Philippines passport.

Is it ok to show them my Philippine passport if they ask any questions?
Yes.

3. I tried asking the British consulate for advice, but naturally they could only speak for UK immigration procedures. Should I enquire elsewhere?
Yes. Contact the US embassy in Singapore. They are the only ones authorised to speak about US entry procedures. The UK authorities were doing the right thing in refusing to answer.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 5:37 am
Original Poster

^Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not too sure if I will encounter immigration at Narita, but just in case I thought I would ask... I hope others who have travelled this route can share their experiences. Would it matter to the Narita officials that I have no Singapore exit stamps on my British passport?

I actually emailed the US Consulate here a few months ago, enquiring whether I could use my British passport and the VWP, even if I entered in the past on my Philippine passport. Their response was as follows:

"If you meet certain criteria on the VWP, you may use your British passport to travel for less than 90 days stay in the U.S. Please read and follow the information at http://singapore.usembassy.gov/how_to_apply2.html. Please consult with the following website for information on the VWP at http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wi...hout_1990.html for your eligibility to travel on the VWP."

I know it sounds rather like an automated response, but will it help at all for me to bring a copy of this email on my travels?
Old Jun 11, 2010, 5:51 am

Carry both passports and use the UK one for everything EXCEPT when leaving & reentering Singapore when you should use your Phillipines passport. You have to do this as many countries require you to leave the country on the passport you entered - and on return you want to use the passport that.

If you get queries when leaving Singapore then produce the UK passport.

It won't be unusual that the UK passport doesn't contain stamps as many trips from the UK are to European destinations where stamps aren't issued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.