Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizen; Which Passport to Use when Traveling between Third Countries?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dual Citizen; Which Passport to Use when Traveling between Third Countries?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2010, 6:03 am
Original Poster

^Thank you so much for your responses. I am just a bit nervous about it as it's the first time I will be using the British passport outside the EU. And I'm just a newbie at travelling to third countries as a dual citizen overall. I'd hate to travel all that way, only to be turned away over confusion due to dual citizenship. But it should be a fairly common thing nowadays, I imagine?

Last edited by starlette; Jun 11, 2010 at 6:14 am
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Also... may I ask...

If I am booking my tickets, I will specify my British passport number. Will this present a problem at check-in on the way back to Singapore? For instance, should my return trip list my Philippine passport??
Old Jun 11, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Basically, the rule of thumb is to show the airline officials the passport you are intending to use to enter your final destination (they don't want to have to pay to transport you back if you are refused entry).

If there are exit checks (eg Singapore), use the same passport that you entered the country on. Exit checks are generally there to make sure no one has overstayed - they will want to see your entry stamp etc.

(This can mean that you have to switch your passport several times - eg UK passport at check-in, Philippines passport at immigration, back to UK passport when boarding the plane.)

I've used different passports to check-in for different segments of the same itinerary, so it should be no problem for you to use a different passport to check-in on the way back.

Having said that, in some situations (like yours), you may be able to get away with checking in with your UK passport on your flight to Singapore. The airline just needs to know that you are qualified to enter Singapore. If Singapore allows UK passport holders in without a visa and does not require proof of onward travel, then the airline is happy to see your UK passport. Just make sure you actually clear immigration in Singapore with your Philippines passport.

On the US side - just show them the stamps on your Philippines passport if they wonder why you have no stamps on your British passport.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
There is no passport check for transit passengers at NRT just a security screening of you person and carry on's.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by tentseller
There is no passport check for transit passengers at NRT just a security screening of you person and carry on's.
Although the airline will generally want to see your passport when boarding (use the passport you are going to enter your destination country).
Old Jun 11, 2010, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

^That all seems quite straightforward, thank you both for the advice!

So... I guess this kind of thing has been done many times before and I have nothing to worry about?

Last edited by starlette; Jun 11, 2010 at 10:52 pm
Old Jun 12, 2010, 5:09 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by starlette
So... I guess this kind of thing has been done many times before and I have nothing to worry about?
This kind of thing has been done many times before and you have nothing to worry about.

Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

^Phew! Thanks.

I may be changing my itinerary a wee bit and might fly Delta SIN-NRT-LAX-CVG.I will only have an hour to transit LAX to make my connecting flight to Cincinnati. I imagine LAX immigration should be familiar with dual citizenship and this kind of travel situation? Any additional advice would be much appreciated.

For instance, might I be asked about who I am traveling with? I want to be honest of course, but will traveling with my American boyfriend present any complications? What would be the least 'sketchy' way to answer? I'm just afraid of saying the wrong thing. Our actual purpose for travel is to attend a friend's wedding.

Thanks again to all the posters who have responded so far.

Last edited by starlette; Jun 12, 2010 at 12:37 pm
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:47 pm

I will only have an hour to transit LAX to make my connecting flight to Cincinnati.
This will likely be the biggest problem you encounter during the entire trip. Count on missing your connecting flight, especially if you have to go from one terminal to another. Two to three hours would be much more reasonable.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by okazon69
This will likely be the biggest problem you encounter during the entire trip. Count on missing your connecting flight, especially if you have to go from one terminal to another. Two to three hours would be much more reasonable.
My only other option would be to fly through Seattle for a 3 hour layover. Better? But would they be just as used to international dual citizenship travel?
Old Jun 12, 2010, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
1 hr transit in LAX arriving from NRT is impossible.

TPAC flights arrives at one terminal and domestic departs from another. You need to clear immigration, customs, TSA security check. Baggages are slow even with my priority tags. The Alien entry line is long and everyone needs full processing.
One hour was pushing it even flying BE and having Nexus/Global entry.

I would take a 3 hour transit via SEA over LAX any day.

Another option is SIN NRT DTWorMSP CVG. DTW or MSP is such a better airport getting off a TPAC flight.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 9:24 pm

But would they be just as used to international dual citizenship travel?
You give too much significance to your dual citizenship status. You will come to the USA as a citizen of UK, and my bet is that they will not even ask you any questions about your other passport.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

I only worry about it because in the past I have entered the US as a Philippine citizen. Does it not make a difference?
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:18 pm

I only worry about it because in the past I have entered the US as a Philippine citizen. Does it not make a difference?
If the spelling in both passports is the same, they may ask about your previous entries. Simple explanation might be enough because you are not even required to carry your Philippines passport with you. If the spelling is a bit different, you may not even be asked your previous entries. Either way, I do not think you will have a problem or be sent to secondary because the dual citizenship is a well-known concept in CBP circles.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 5:03 am
Original Poster

I see. Well, that's a relief. My name is not spelled differently on my Philippine passport, but it does include my mother's maiden name as my middle name. So the naming conventions are different. In any case, I trust that explaining my dual citizenship should be enough explanation. Thanks for the info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.