Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizen; Which Passport to Use when Traveling between Third Countries?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dual Citizen; Which Passport to Use when Traveling between Third Countries?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2020, 5:23 am

Op isn't clear if he has 1 country with 2 passports or 2 countries with 1 passport each.
GUWonder and farci like this.

Last edited by TGarza; Dec 2, 2020 at 11:16 am
Old Dec 2, 2020, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The thing is, after an overnight flight, it's easy to make a mistake and present the wrong passport when arriving in a third country.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 7:22 am

Buy a passport case/sleeve for the passport being used on the trip
Old Dec 2, 2020, 7:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It would be much easier if you disclosed which passports and countries are involved. That way people could give better advice.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 1:17 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by TGarza
Op isn't clear if he has 1 country with 2 passports or 2 countries with 1 passport each.
It's also unclear whether any of the passports (A-B) were issued by any of the countries (1-4)
Old Dec 2, 2020, 5:46 pm

Some of the advice above is not good.

US for instance requires its citizens to enter and depart the US on a US passport.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 6:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

Based upon the posting history, the OP is flying Emirates and connecting in Dubai and then transferring to Iberia in Madrid after spending overnight there.

Please don't speculate and refrain from quibbling about whether the United States requires its citizens to depart the country using a US passport. Until we have more information from the OP, this is off topic for this thread.

Let's wait for the OP to provide additional details about his/her passports, citizenship and itinerary before offering additional advice.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
DManzaluni likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 7:37 pm

Programs: Sky team, hhonors, Marriott
Mwenenzi's response is the correct one.

Also, there is nothing wrong/illegal about showing 2 passports if unsure which one is needed.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by TGarza
It didn't even occur to me; the passports are from 2 different countries. I already know which I will use for immigration purposes (thus designating them as A and B, as I wrote out in my 2nd post).

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
It's also unclear whether any of the passports (A-B) were issued by any of the countries (1-4)
This I did mention, in my first paragraph: "(none of the countries in this trip are the ones I have passports for)"
Old Dec 4, 2020, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by GotMeFlying
It didn't even occur to me; the passports are from 2 different countries. I already know which I will use for immigration purposes (thus designating them as A and B, as I wrote out in my 2nd post).
This I did mention, in my first paragraph: "(none of the countries in this trip are the ones I have passports for)"
I know some people here asked for details about where my passports are from and what countries I'm coming from and going to in the end (@TWA884 is right about Dubai and Madrid being 2 of my connections - Country 2 and 3 respectively); I hope that my paranoia desire for anonymity didn't come across as a lack of appreciation.

I know which passports I will use to enter each country as far as immigration goes (I've researched that part), but it's precisely that I will be alternating them which confuses which I should show to the airline.
GUWonder likes this.

Last edited by GotMeFlying; Dec 4, 2020 at 7:48 pm
Old Dec 4, 2020, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GotMeFlying
I know some people here asked for details about where my passports are from and what countries I'm going to; I hope that my paranoia desire for privacy didn't come across as a lack of appreciation.

I know which passports I will use to enter each country as far as immigration goes (I've researched that part), but it's precisely that I will be alternating them which confuses which I should show to the airline.
When it comes to dealing with what to show the airline:

The dual-citizens in my travel parties hand over the passport to the airline that was either previously used in the ticketed booking earlier or that makes it easier to check-in with the airline (via online self check-in or otherwise). Then they sometimes flash or hand over the passport from the other country of citizenship if it appears that the passengers would otherwise be subject to an additional document check for visas, residency cards, disease testing, vaccination proof, onward travel proof, etc in order to be cleared for check-in/boarding. This is of course for people who are dual-citizens of countries that legally allow for dual-citizenship to be maintained by their citizens.

When it comes to what passport to show to government authorities: your second paragraph above suggests you already know what to do with physical government passport control checks.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 6:43 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
When it comes to dealing with what to show the airline:

The dual-citizens in my travel parties hand over the passport to the airline that was either previously used in the ticketed booking earlier or that makes it easier to check-in with the airline (via online self check-in or otherwise). Then they sometimes flash or hand over the passport from the other country of citizenship if it appears that the passengers would otherwise be subject to an additional document check for visas, residency cards, disease testing, vaccination proof, onward travel proof, etc in order to be cleared for check-in/boarding. This is of course for people who are dual-citizens of countries that legally allow for dual-citizenship to be maintained by their citizens.

When it comes to what passport to show to government authorities: your second paragraph above suggests you already know what to do with physical government passport control checks.
this is correct. Where possible I will provide the airline with the passport I will be arriving with just in case the airline shares this information with the arriving country (such as the US).

this becomes a little more complex with a multi-leg trip eg. A return. In my case I am Australian/Italian. I buy my ticket using my Australian passport so I show Australian at check in, Australian to immigration leaving Australia and Italian when arriving in the eu. If the gate agent picks up that my Australian passport isn’t sufficient to enter my destination (this has only happened once during covid eu restrictions) then I am asked questions by the agent to prove residency or show my other passport. Whatever is required to meet the timatic requirements.

continuing my journey I show Australian at return check in, Italian to exit eu and Australian to enter Australia.

yes - it can get confusing after a long flight when woken out of your sleep cycle so I track it in my phone calendar appointments and have my next passport to be used in my ready pocket.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 7:04 am

It's a little off topic, but interesting. I recently had to fly to Canada. As a dual US/Canadian residing in the US, I always use my US passport. But checking in to this latest flight, the agent would not allow me to fly to Canada on the US passport. I had to use my Canadian because of the Covid-19 border closings.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Realize that in most cases the immigration officer is completely aware that you possess two passports. At least for the countries where such a thing is legal.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
I have two passports, and when I'm at an airline check-in desk I always show the passport I shall use for the next country I'm going to enter. Once in a blue moon when I've entered a country on one passport, but will be using the other to enter the next country, the computer says no, and I'm then asked if I have another passport. I show my other passport, which is then visually checked or run through the reader (presumably to make sure I have legally entered the country that I'm about to depart) and then I'm on my way. It's never been a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.