Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizen; Which Passport to Use when Traveling between Third Countries?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dual Citizen; Which Passport to Use when Traveling between Third Countries?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2010, 6:04 am

Programs: KLM FB, BA EC, Miles&Mafia, Delta SM, Mile High Club
Originally Posted by starlette
What would be the least 'sketchy' way to answer? I'm just afraid of saying the wrong thing.
Telling the truth might be a good idea. Anything else can be used against you.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Haha of course I will tell the truth. But I wonder if "boyfriend" is a necessary thing to share and whether I will avoid further questioning if I just say I am traveling with a friend. We are both actually traveling so we can attend a mutual friend's wedding.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 6:24 am

Why would the word "boyfriend" trigger further questions? "A friend" might trigger pickup lines from the immigration officer, especially if you're a starlette. "Boyfriend" makes 'em wave you through so they can prey on the next in line.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Haha! :P

It's just that I've heard stories about people who a grilled in secondary inspection because the officers become somehow convinced that they are not just traveling as tourists, but perhaps have plans to stay with their American partners in the US. My boyfriend and I are both residents of Singapore though, so that definitely is not the case with us.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 6:58 am

Imagine what's gonna happen if "a friend" turns out to be your boyfriend upon further questioning. That'll be a one way ticket to Guantanamo Beach for you. Without your boyfriend, and no cuba libres either.

Maybe you could tell the drooling immigration officer with the bulging eyes that he's just one of your boyfriends? That should take away any suspicions.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Ok, well I was just wondering that's all. Here's hoping for a trip free of any travel hiccups.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:28 am

Hi there,

I have a question along similar lines and was hoping someone would be kind enough to help me confirm my thinking.

I am a dual New Zealand/Canada citizen and am travelling to Canada from New Zealand via LAX shortly. I want to travel on my Canadian passport, because I understand it is easier through LAX.

My thinking on how to do that is:

New Zealand:
At Check-in: Canadian Passport
At Customs: New Zealand Passport
At Security: New Zealand Passport

Arrival at LAX
At Customs: Canadian Passport

Departure at LAX
At Check-in: Canadian Passport
At Security: Canadian Passport

Arrival at Calgary

Departure at Vancouver (bound for New Zealand)
At Check-in: New Zealand Passport
At Security: Canadian Passport

Arrival at New Zealand
At Customs: New Zealand Passport

Is that right?

I have never used my Canadian passport before - that will not be problematic will it?

Also, am I right in thinking that if I travel on my Canadian passport, I do not need a visa (or the visa waiver program VISIT stuff) to go through LAX.

Many thanks in advance
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by vips
Is that right?
Yes, that is 100% right. I use the same combination when I travel with my two passports via third countries. Never had a problem.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 3:14 am

Programs: Asia Miles
Lol I just randomly choose what passport to use. I have italian and filipino passport as well and have a hkid but that's linked to my BNO status.
But occasionally i sometimes i use my passport on a cost basis.

Filipino passport is cheap it will cost at max 20 eur if you renew it in the philippines or 50-60 eur or usd if you renew it abroad. Issuing of Philippine passport is hassle free and fast.
But filipino who wish to travel abroad have to pay a travel tax which is around 29 euros if travelling economy for biz and first is much more expensieve.
If you are also a citizen/resident of another country you can have a tax exemption, but you have to pay the processing fee and it's time consuming.

Italian passport mid priced around 40 eur plus a 40 eur stamp.
But the italian passport requires you to pay a 40 eur tax every year if you travel using this passport to non EU countries. For EU countries we tend to use our ID cards, and one way to avoid paying the 40 eur tax is to take a connecting flight via another EU country.
from italy use id to EU country B in Eu country B use passport to leave that country and at final destination use the most convenient passport based on the stay time given or cost.

British passport are really expensive to renew it's around 180 eur last time i checked and some of the questions asked in the renewal form are absurd.
That's why i have left it to expire.

I also had my US visa in my Philippine passport which is expired so i will use my italian passport this summer. I prefer to use my Philippine passport coz it gives 6 months stay with visa while with the VWP it only gives 3 months.
So sometimes i use my PH passport just to collect stamps on it. It makes everything easier when applying for a visa for another country.

On short stay i use my other passport when entering the philippines so i can skip paying the taxes.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Hi blumage, I will be using my British passport instead of the Philippine one for the first time in the US this year too. May I ask if you've ever been questioned about the switching around of passports?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I believe the most important considerations for dual citizens are 1) what the passport issuing countries stipulate (US passport holders, iirc, are to enter and depart with US passports, for example,) and 2) which passport holds work / admission permits or visas for countries you are entering.

Exceptions are for those visiting countries where a visa from another nation will invalidate or create problems for your visit - but voila, you have another passport!

Your entry and departure docs should be the same if possible - keeps the forces of nastiness in harmony.

In any case, you are required to adhere to the laws of the nation you are visiting, and multiple citizenship will generally not be a help or hindrance. (I'm not going to get into how citizens are obligated to deal with laws and fulfill certain obligations, such as acquiring certain documents, dealing with military service, etc. as that is not within the scope of the OPs question.)

^Thank you so much for your responses. I am just a bit nervous about it as it's the first time I will be using the British passport outside the EU. And I'm just a newbie at travelling to third countries as a dual citizen overall. I'd hate to travel all that way, only to be turned away over confusion due to dual citizenship. But it should be a fairly common thing nowadays, I imagine?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:35 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
My name is not spelled differently on my Philippine passport, but it does include my mother's maiden name as my middle name. So the naming conventions are different.
Reading this thread has reminded me of doubts that I have regarding this problem. I have two passports (Peru and Italy) and the names don't exactly match as I have two last names on my Peruvian passport but only one in the Italian passport (naming conventions and all that). If a trip requires me to use one passport at check-in on the outbound and another on the return, then I'll have a mismatch on one of the flights. How likely is that there might be a problem with this?
(I have a flight booked under under my full Peruvian name but I have to use the Italian passport to enter the destination and I'm crossing my fingers hoping that it will be a non-issue. To make things slightly worse, something in the booking system merged both last names into one, omitting the space between them. I had the call center agent put in a note about the space thing just in case.)
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:31 pm

Dual Citizen; Which Passport to Use at Airline Check-in and at Immigration?

I've had two passports for quite some time, but have never used one of them to travel, until a now-upcoming flight where that one will be more valuable at one of my destinations. Obviously, I have to show immigration the same passport I used to enter the country I'm in now (none of the countries in this trip are the ones I have passports for), but I am confused as to what the airline will want to see.

More specifically, I entered Country 1 (current country from which I will be departing) on Passport A, will be transiting through Country 2 (all on the same ticket, no picking up luggage), and finally on to Country 3 (where I will be using Passport B to enter).

Since I will show Passport A to the immigration of Country 1 as I depart, then Passport B to the immigration of Country 2 as I enter, which passport do I show the airline?

I worry that if I show Passport B, they will wonder how I even got in, since there are no stamps, BUT if I show Passport A, they may follow up with further requests for how I will enter and possibly stay in Country 3 (final destination) since I can only actually get into that country because of Passport B.

I then have the exact same situation coming up, but in reverse, when I leave Country 3 to go to Country 4, so I'd just like to get it right as to what I show the airlines and how that has to align (or not) with what I show immigration (which I already understand is the same passport I entered on).
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GotMeFlying
...Since I will show Passport A to the immigration of Country 1 as I depart, then Passport B to the immigration of Country 2 as I enter, which passport do I show the airline?.
The airline is only interesting confirming you have the documentation/passport/visa/etc to enter the country arriving at. Not interested in the departing country.
Enter and depart a country on the same passport. But not all countries have departure checks
Do not offer the second passport unless they ask questions
Does not take long to get adept at switching passports.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The airline is only interesting confirming you have the documentation/passport/visa/etc to enter the country arriving at. Not interested in the departing country.
Enter and depart a country on the same passport. But not all countries have departure checks
Do not offer the second passport unless they ask questions
Does not take long to get adept at switching passports.
Ok, so to hash it out in my case to make sure I understand, I should show:

C1 Entry Immigration (already done): Passport A
C1 Exit Airline: Passport B
C1 Exit Immigration: Passport A

C2 - Should not have to show anything because it's a transit, but in case they ask for something, should it be whichever is most advantageous to the country, or consistent with the one I showed the airline?

C3 Entry Immigration: Passport B
C3 Exit Airline: Passport A
C3 Exit Immigration: Passport B

C4 Entry Immigration: Passport A

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.