Wiki Posts
Search

Passport validity leaving EU

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Passport validity leaving EU

Hi people!

My daughter (5 years old) and I are travelling into Europe. We have double citizenship (brazilian and italian) and entered EU using our italian passports.
Next wednesday we are going home in Brazil and her italian passport is valid until may 2nd. Our brazilian passport is valid (her has validity until 2021) and with us. So now I’m afraid and have some doubts:
- Is it ok to show the brazilian passport at checkin and the italian on passport control?
- Is it ok to leave EU only with brazilian passport?
- should I present the italian passport at control and say she has double citizenship?
Since the EU website says I need only a valid passport to leave EU, I think the first option should be ok. Please help me.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Always best to leave a country/EU on the same passport as entering. But not all countries check/scan passports on exit
The passport you show the airline, to prove you are OK to enter the country you are flying to, does not need to be same as the passport you show immigration when leaving.
Never volunteer any information about dual passports, etc, unless asked.
[I have dual citizenship]
dav662 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Always best to leave a country/EU on the same passport as entering. But not all countries check/scan passports on exit
The passport you show the airline, to prove you are OK to enter the country you are flying to, does not need to be same as the passport you show immigration when leaving.
Never volunteer any information about dual passports, etc, unless asked.
[I have dual citizenship]
But do you know If a less than 6 month validity should be a problem on her italian passport?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bruno Alvares
But do you know If a less than 6 month validity should be a problem on her Italian passport?
That information will be on the various countries web sites.
Not a question for FT
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Bruno Alvares
But do you know If a less than 6 month validity should be a problem on her italian passport?
It’s not a problem with passport control to leave. But airlines can have their own take on things.

But given what you mention of having two passports, you can show both passports to the airline and have them use whichever one facilitates your travel best.

Enjoy your trip. I’ve been in this kind of situation many times for my dual-citizen travel party members. While it can make for some weird discussions with airline reps or even passport control staff at times, it’s not a show-stopper for the trips.

Show the Brazilian passport at checkin when leaving EU/Schengen for Brazil, and show the Italian passport at Italian/Schengen passport control. Have no fear and doubt, and enjoy your trip as this works out just fine.
:D! likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
At checkin desks the airlines are interested in two things:
1) Checking your identity, that is the name on the passport is the same as that on the ticket
2) Verifying that the passport you are presenting is good for entry into the destination.
They couldn't care less about which passport you used to enter the country, indeed they can't even tell.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Check in with the airline and get your boarding passes with your Brasilian passport, go though outbound immigration with your Italian airport, show your Brasilian airport at the gate if needed.
GUWonder and Often1 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your air carrier need not even know of her Italian passport. Its concern is that she won't be denied entry to Brazil and that is accomplished with her Brazilian passport.

If by some bizarre chance, you are asked whether she is a dual national, you would, of course, give a truthful answer. But, there is absolutely no reason to volunteer information not directly asked for. That applies to both check-in (as well as boarding) and passport control. The more complex you make it, the more complex it becomes.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:00 am

Yeah, looks compeltely straightforward to me: Brazilian passport for everything except EU exit passport control.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:21 am
Suspended

There may be something to consider: when a Brazilian citizen child is traveling alone or without all of the child’s parents on a Brazilian passport, things may work differently than when the same Brazilian child appears to be traveling with two parents or is using a non-Brazilian passport.

Brazilian law requires any minor who is a Brazilian citizen — even dual nationals who are both Italian and Brazilian citizens — to have permission from each parent to travel within Brazil or exit the country. [Enter the country is a different story, but then there is the “within Brazil” part.] When the Brazilian minor travels with only one parent or without either parent, they must have two original written authorization letters from each absent parent and carry a copy of the child’s birth certificate or have an annotation in his/her Brazilian passport authorizing travel alone or with only one parent. Or something like that. I don’t know how likely Schengen passport control or the airline reps may consider such kind of thing just because of the Brazilian passport use, but there are instances where they could bring it up.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:55 am

Programs: RFC
To be perfectly honest, there's only a 50/50 chance that the entry was recorded correctly by the Italians at entry. But fear not: *every* other country in the Schengen region understands completely and won't bat an eyelid at it if they can't find an entry record for her to leave on.

Italian Immigration exists to make Brazilian and Indian Immigration depts look organised and professional.
GUWonder and :D! like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 4:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
OP - you are making this more complicated than necessary.

First of all, as Italian citizens you have a right to be in the EU for as long as you like.

Second, when you are at the airport, you will have a passport check when you leave the Schengen area. If you show only your Brazilian passport the officer will probably ask you why there is no entry stamp. You can reply that you entered with your Italian passport. You will then show this document (or you could just show that to the officer in the first place) and you'll be on your way. You may or may not get a remark that the passport is expiring soon. You can of course renew it at an Italian consulate in Brazil. That will be the end of it.

When you are at the gate getting on the aircraft, you will show your Brazilian passport.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
To be perfectly honest, there's only a 50/50 chance that the entry was recorded correctly by the Italians at entry. But fear not: *every* other country in the Schengen region understands completely and won't bat an eyelid at it if they can't find an entry record for her to leave on.

Italian Immigration exists to make Brazilian and Indian Immigration depts look organised and professional.
The OP entered the Schengen Area with his Italian passport. AFAIK only Poland systematically records entry / exits of EU/EEA/Switzerland citizens.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 11:53 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
The OP entered the Schengen Area with his Italian passport. AFAIK only Poland systematically records entry / exits of EU/EEA/Switzerland citizens.
Entry *into* and exit *from* the Schengen area is supposed to be recorded and, IME, usually is by every member except Italy. Movement *within* the area isn't recorded by anyone, generally. The entry into Italy should have been recorded by the Italians, Italian passport or not.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Entry *into* and exit *from* the Schengen area is supposed to be recorded and, IME, usually is by every member except Italy. Movement *within* the area isn't recorded by anyone, generally. The entry into Italy should have been recorded by the Italians, Italian passport or not.
National entry/exit recording systems is not the same thing as a Schengen-wide entry/exit recording system. The Schengen-wide entry-exit system isn't up and running yet, and the PNR Directive is not (yet) being lawfully used toward a Schengen-wide entry-exit recording system.

National entry-exit register systems may be relevant to the OP's child if the child entered into and exited from the Schengen zone using airports in the same country for entry into and exit from the Schengen zone, but I doubt that anyone at the Schengen ports of entry/exit would care if the accompanying adult's docs and presence appear legitimate. VIS won't be of relevance, and SIS is highly unlikely to be relevance to tracking of the entry and exit of the OP's child.

If for some reason there is a need to seek the history of legal entry/exit/stay history in the Schengen zone, it's often a very manual job to try to piece it together from entry and exit records and at times it's not even possible to get the complete history for some people because national registers aren't Schengen-wide registers. This comes up, for example, when people in some parts of the Schengen area are dealing with naturalization, citizenship-by-descent issues, residency issues and so on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.