Passport validity leaving EU

Old Feb 10, 20, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth View Post
Entry *into* and exit *from* the Schengen area is supposed to be recorded and, IME, usually is by every member except Italy. Movement *within* the area isn't recorded by anyone, generally. The entry into Italy should have been recorded by the Italians, Italian passport or not.
Sorry, but that information is totally incorrect.

At the moment there is not EU-wide entry / exit database for neither EU or non-EU nationals. There are plans for an EU-wide entry / exit database for non-EU nationals called EES ("Entry-Exit System") but that system will not apply to EU citizens.

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/si..._system_en.pdf

There is data collection at the point of booking / check-in (The so-called "Passenger Name Record" or the API system) but that data does not match with entry / exit records. Remember that it is possible (and totally legal) to provide PNR / API data with your ID card and then use your passport to enter the Schengen Area (or vice-versa), or to arrive to your destination airport and then book there a ticket to somewhere else outside the Schengen Area.

So there is no legal requirement to record entries / exits from the Schengen area for EU citizens. And then of course you have the fact that in several countries (Italy being one) checks of EU passports are quite "light" (still nowadays)
Old Feb 10, 20, 9:01 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog View Post
Sorry, but that information is totally incorrect.

At the moment there is not EU-wide entry / exit database for neither EU or non-EU nationals. There are plans for an EU-wide entry / exit database for non-EU nationals called EES ("Entry-Exit System") but that system will not apply to EU citizens.
Who said anything about an EU-wide system?

I said that at entry or exit to the region a person should have the entry/exit recorded. That's completely true. I'm sorry you read more into it than was in the sentence.
Old Feb 11, 20, 3:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Since 2017 or maybe 2018 I haven't gotten around to re-reading the revised Schengen border code again; but, IIRC, at least in 2017 (or maybe even 2018, if not even more recently) EU countries' national entry and exit registers weren't required by the Schengen border code (or anything else at the supra-national level) to register EU nationals' Schengen entries and/or exits.

The OP's child coming into the Schengen zone on an Italian passport may have had the entry registered nowhere, even if entering the Schengen zone in Italy or elsewhere, and that would have been fine under the Schengen border code. Whether it's fine with national border codes or not.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 11, 20 at 1:53 pm
Old Feb 11, 20, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth View Post
Who said anything about an EU-wide system?

I said that at entry or exit to the region a person should have the entry/exit recorded. That's completely true. I'm sorry you read more into it than was in the sentence.
And that is totally incorrect.

@GUWonder in the post above explain it very well.

There is no legal requirement to record entry/exits of EU citizens. You can read the consolidated text of the Schengen Borders Code (2019) here

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...R0399-20190611

I can assure you that Spain (a country I know well) does not record EU citizens going in and out of the Schengen Area (that if you find a border guard that bothers to put your passport or ID card in the machine reader, that a couple of years ago was 0% chance).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: