Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Acceptable Identification for Domestic Travel [Consolidated Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Acceptable Identification for Domestic Travel [Consolidated Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Ok, but you might officially run into an ID checker who won't accept it since it's not on the list
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:55 pm

USC now... but I'm sure there are people in these boards who may need to use those. That being said, it's of course advisable to use something from the approved list.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by bbtrvl
If you are willing to part with your passport book for a few weeks, you can submit a renew by mail DS-82 to get a NEW passport card for $30. You don't have to renew your passport book at the same time.

At $3/year, I consider the passport card a bargain. The passport book is far too delicate to carry around everywhere. You don't want to be traveling and get denied entry somewhere because of passport damage. Even a minor bend or fraying is questionable.

Even holding a GE card, I also obtained a passport card. It never hurts to carry two ID's and a lot of people don't recognize the GE card.
Concurred. I have no trouble with TSA recognizing either NEXUS or Passport Card, but the NEXUS card is designed as a bland looking document with any indications that it's government issued, whereas the passport card has "UNITED STATES", "DEPARTMENT OF STATE", eagles, stars and stripes, etc. - the NEXUS card is basically useless as secondary ID at a lot of places that aren't border crossings or airport security, but I've had plenty of people accept my passport card without issue. $30/10 year validity is a good deal too for a document that's list A acting as both proof of identity and employment authorization in the US.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:19 am

Does Real ID apply to foreigners traveling domestically

Does Real ID apply to foreigners traveling domestically as well or is this only for americans? I am from spain and i am currently in las vegas. I have my spanish passport but im not sure if tsa will accept it for my next flight. I have seen “foreign government passport” as one of the alternatives on tsa website but i am unsure if they will accept it.
Old May 7, 2018, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Deskopt
Does Real ID apply to foreigners traveling domestically as well or is this only for americans? I am from spain and i am currently in las vegas. I have my spanish passport but im not sure if tsa will accept it for my next flight. I have seen “foreign government passport” as one of the alternatives on tsa website but i am unsure if they will accept it.

tl;dr: Your Spanish passport is fine. TSA is absolutely prohibited from refusing to accept it (unless it's forged or something).

RealID threats only apply to people attempting to travel on a US state ID (typically a driver's license).

Anyone – including US citizens of non-RealID states, and non-US-citizens — can travel on a passport (assuming the country you're entering gives you a visa, or you're a citizen/national of that country). RealID does not affect that at all.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:31 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Deskopt
Welcome to FlyerTalk @Deskopt!

I moved your question to the relevant thread.

From the TSA website:
Identification

• Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
  • Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential
Yes, they will accept it.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 9:22 am

I have a TWIC card which is a TSA-issued ID. It's officially a valid thing to show at the TSA screening lines. However, the screeners at CLT say their scanners (at least a while back) couldn't deal with it and would I please use something else. They were nice so I had no problem. One time at DCA I showed them my TWIC card and they didn't even attempt to do anything with it. The TDC told me it wasn't an acceptable ID. I gave him my license and went on. I wrote the TSA on their site and asked what gives.

The official answer from the main office was that they probably should have taken it, but the TDC always has the authority to ask for an additional ID.

A few days later we actually got a phone call from the station chief at DCA. He said that the agent was completely wrong about not taking the TWIC and had been re-educated as to what are valid IDs. That was way more than I expected.

I detest showing my driver's license to people. I'll use just about any other ID (passport, passport card, GE card). The drivers license number and name are now the DE FACTO identity of online financial transactions (try opening an online account without the number). This is a way bigger identity theft hole than SSNs ever were.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.