Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Acceptable Identification for Domestic Travel [Consolidated Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Acceptable Identification for Domestic Travel [Consolidated Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
A couple of months ago, I flew from HNL to MCI and back to visit family......

On the way out of MCI, I showed my DOD CAC Card. Smurf said I needed to show a DL. I produced my Hawaii DL......idiot smurf looked at me and said I needed to produce a "US Drivers License."

Smurf was informed that Hawaii was in fact a US State....and had been for quite a while... He sat there for about a minute or two (you could hear the squirrels turning in his head) and he finally let me thru as I was about to ask for a supervisor.....

Wile E. Coyote, Genius at work there.....
Old Oct 27, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by Bearcat06

On the way out of MCI, I showed my DOD CAC Card. Smurf said I needed to show a DL. I produced my Hawaii DL......idiot smurf looked at me and said I needed to produce a "US Drivers License."

Smurf was informed that Hawaii was in fact a US State....and had been for quite a while... He sat there for about a minute or two (you could hear the squirrels turning in his head) and he finally let me thru as I was about to ask for a supervisor.....

You owe me a new keyboard for this one

Last edited by coachrowsey; Oct 27, 2011 at 8:59 am Reason: correct typo
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Bottom line: Even the TSA web site conflicts with itself and pages are indeed "out of date." Knowing if you are using current policy is nearly impossible.
I used to think there might have been some intended ambiguity to provide "Layers of Security" but after three cases of a Trained Document Checker accepting a Costco card as a valid ID (the last one being where a NEXUS card was denied, but the FTer posted a picture of their boarding pass "Costco" scribbled on it ) I'm convinced the TSA is just stoopid.

Originally Posted by t325
I will probably never use it for its intended purpose (land/sea entry), but I got it just to piss the TSA off. And I don't really want them seeing any more information than they need (my address, etc) that's on my drivers license.
I've had really good luck with not getting any hassles from the TDCer about my passport card. In fact, I've been using it any time I'm asked for ID; buying beer at a grocery or liquor store, picking up a package at UPS, my bank when the usual tellers weren't there, etc. From now on the only person that will see my DL will be the LEO that pulls me over when I'm driving. What a concept!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:51 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
there's obviously a wide range of ID's that are sometimes acceptable, sometimes not

I carry an expired CA DL in my ID pocket for TSA and it works about 1/2 the time. It's just easier for me to have an ID I don't care about too much in my ID pocket, as my DL is in my wallet which is bulky and carried in my purse on a chain. Some TSO's interpret the "valid" ID requirement as "current" and some don't.

That said, it's obvious we will never be able to say on this forum that absolutely "this ID is OK" and "that ID is not." Too many variables. So we'd appreciate it to leave this thread open for experiences with valid ID and any practical info on same.

thanks

squeakr

co Mod TS/S
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:01 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Bearcat06

That is just freaking sad
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by goalie
That is just freaking sad
It is, but I don't see it much different than the TSA ID checker that thought New Mexico was also a foreign country....
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:12 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
It is, but I don't see it much different than the TSA ID checker that thought New Mexico was also a foreign country....
It isn't? (you knew I was gonna say that, right? )
Old Oct 27, 2011, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by squeakr
I carry an expired CA DL in my ID pocket for TSA and it works about 1/2 the time.
A DL expired up to a year is acceptable; why would you allow a TSA employee to make up their own rules?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:29 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
its been expired for more than a year.....

but the picture is the same as my current one...
Old Oct 27, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: SSSSS
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Actually, it was a US Customs officer at the Detroit-Windsor land border crossing. Which is worse, since they're actually supposed to know what border they're guarding.

Unless there's also a TSA checker with the same geography teacher??
Old Oct 27, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by N965VJ
A DL expired up to a year is acceptable; why would you allow a TSA employee to make up their own rules?
Which is why I plan on carrying my soon-to-be-expired IL DL with me for the next year to see what happens. Of course, I'll have my current DL with me, too, but only to be used if I get pulled over (knock on wood) or something.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by squeakr
but the picture is the same as my current one...
I did an online renew of my Florida DL a few years ago. They used the stored digital image from my last DL taken circa early 1990s. My new DL expires in 2018. Obviously the Great State of Florida thinks their citizens look the same for 25 years. The value of the photo on the "photo ID" is obviously not much.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
And I've used my Global Entry card 4 times since receiving it (MCO twice, with UA and DL), CID and LAX, and it was accepted 3 of 4 times. The 4th time, at LAX, the TDC said he hadn't seen it before and asked me to product my DL, which he looked at but did not blacklight.

The point is, the GE card isn't on the list of accepted IDs yet is.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Janus
DOB is on the back: http://www.cac.mil/CardInfoGeneva1.html

As for requiring DOB, I think everything on TSA's allowed list does include DOB (though not sure about TWIC, Airline/Airport ID, and Canadian ID). The PIV card standard (NIST's FIPS 201-1) does not require DOB.
The CAC (DoD Civilian/Contractor ID) does not have DOB visible anywhere on it.

The Uniformed Services ID (Geneva Convention Card) Does, since it is considered essential information.

I have seen CAC's rejected for various reasons (usually the ignorance of clueless drones).

Part of the reason the CAC/PIV is accepted (when it is) is there may be other evidence the person in question really is affiliated with the gov, it is IIRC harder to visually fake a fed employee ID, and smurfs have found out the hard way someone higher up can make a clerk's life hell if they harass their subordinates too much (Think Wesley Police Station episode in West Wing).
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:57 pm

Programs: QFF
"Acceptable" ID is whatever the TDC decides it is on the day.

Can someone please explain why an ID needs an expiry date. Identity does not expire unless that person has. Passports and Drivers licenses have expiry dates because they aren't ID and are issued for a limited time for a set reason.

Why does the card need a gender listed on it? (The gender noted on my ID is wrong anyway)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.