Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with CPAP

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Cloudship
I see a number of threads about using CPAP on a plane, but very little about going through security with a CPAP. What is the protocol - so you need to take it out of the bag? If I have Pre-Check can I leave it in the case? And do I need to take even those little travel units out, too?

Likewise, my understanding is that the CPAP doesn't count towards your carry-on, but the case I got anyways is the size of a small laptop bag. Can I put that and my roll aboard up above, or am I still expected to fit my laptop bag and the cpap under my seat? Any strategies or tips about carrying the CPAP?
For USA flights, I’ve found some TSA locations need it out of the case, others it doesn’t matter. Just look at the signs.

I wouldn’t put it on the floor, personally. Easier to get stepped on or damaged. Always in the bin.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:56 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to TS/S Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Moving thread to TS/S Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Where it has been merged into the relevant thread.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:41 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
At SFO at least

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

For USA flights, I’ve found some TSA locations need it out of the case, others it doesn’t matter. Just look at the signs.

I wouldn’t put it on the floor, personally. Easier to get stepped on or damaged. Always in the bin.
TSA seems to know what they are and let people through keeping them in the case.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by squeakr
TSA seems to know what they are and let people through keeping them in the case.
As I noted, it all depends on the airport. In PHX last week it had to be out, and in a bin.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: Independent
Was that regular security or pre-check?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was that regular security or pre-check?
Regular, I think.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
I’ve been traveling with my CPAP device since 2012. I’ve had to take it out of its case every time I use a normal screening lane. Every time I’ve gotten PreCheck, it stayed in the case.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I've flown with mine through SAN and LAX and on no occasion have I had to take it out of the bag. The only time they gave it a second look is when I added some girl scout cookies to the bag.

I carry a letter with me that says that my CPAP machine needs to travel with me in the cabin. I've never needed it but, it should help with being able to take it in the cabin if a over-zealous check in agent causes a fuss.

I always put mine in the overhead bins. It's not very big and doesn't take up a lot of space.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I've flown with mine through SAN and LAX and on no occasion have I had to take it out of the bag. The only time they gave it a second look is when I added some girl scout cookies to the bag.

I carry a letter with me that says that my CPAP machine needs to travel with me in the cabin. I've never needed it but, it should help with being able to take it in the cabin if a over-zealous check in agent causes a fuss.

I always put mine in the overhead bins. It's not very big and doesn't take up a lot of space.
I had created a tag for my CPAP case clearly identifying it as a medical device (along with the relevant regulatory info), just to be safe, but CPAPs are common enough now that gate agents in the US know what they look like and don’t generally make a fuss. In fact, the only time I’ve been stopped re: my CPAP was by a Red Blazer @ EWR policing the tail of a TSA line (actual TSA didn’t even give it a 2nd look).

And +1 re: the overhead compartment; apart from the fact that I need access to my laptop bag more than I need to access the CPAP in-flight, I don’t relish the notion of keeping my device anywhere it could potentially get vomited upon.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Critic
I had created a tag for my CPAP case clearly identifying it as a medical device (along with the relevant regulatory info), just to be safe, but CPAPs are common enough now that gate agents in the US know what they look like and don’t generally make a fuss. In fact, the only time I’ve been stopped re: my CPAP was by a Red Blazer @ EWR policing the tail of a TSA line (actual TSA didn’t even give it a 2nd look).

And +1 re: the overhead compartment; apart from the fact that I need access to my laptop bag more than I need to access the CPAP in-flight, I don’t relish the notion of keeping my device anywhere it could potentially get vomited upon.
Yeah I have ordered a tag, too. Although I have already decided I am going to get a second travel device.

I am less concerned with the people at the scanner itself than the people monitoring the lines and those policing the boarding door and the bins.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:25 am

I've ordered a ResMed AirMini. Now I am thinking about how to carry the thing. ResMed has a case designed for the AirMini and the mask and hose, but it is a bit overpriced I think. I was thinking about just getting one of those clear drawstring bags you can get for $10. But, do you think that would be too big a risk in the overhead compartments from getting squashed?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've ordered a ResMed AirMini. Now I am thinking about how to carry the thing. ResMed has a case designed for the AirMini and the mask and hose, but it is a bit overpriced I think. I was thinking about just getting one of those clear drawstring bags you can get for $10. But, do you think that would be too big a risk in the overhead compartments from getting squashed?
That looks like a tiny little thing. Why not just carry it in your personal item?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:06 pm

I ended up buying a small case made by Samsonite from Staples. The problem is you have to carry the machine itself, the power supply which is nearly as big as the machine, the hose (that takes up the most room), the mask, something to clean it with, there were a couple of other things which I don't think I need to take, a manual which was totally useless, plus I also stuff my meds and my blood test kit and cuff in there. It adds up. Got few looks but told all the boarding agents it was a CPAP - they all said OK and thanked me for telling them. Got a few stares from people, but also ended up having a few discussions from others about them. I am going to exchange my machine if I can for a different model, but I think I can eventually get the space freed up.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
Cloudship did you exchange the divide...if so, what model and are you happy with it??

Last edited by retirementdreams; Aug 7, 2019 at 7:35 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.