Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with CPAP

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:06 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Updating --
I have prechek clearance because of Global Entry.
I've come through prechek without removing the CPAP machine at least 20 times in the last year -- DCA, FLL, ORD, JFK, etc.
Yesterday at PDX -- take the CPAP out. "Wow, why is PDX different from everywhere else?" "We aren't different, other places are doing it wrong!"
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:20 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by mot29
Updating --
I have prechek clearance because of Global Entry.
I've come through prechek without removing the CPAP machine at least 20 times in the last year -- DCA, FLL, ORD, JFK, etc.
Yesterday at PDX -- take the CPAP out. "Wow, why is PDX different from everywhere else?" "We aren't different, other places are doing it wrong!"
Bolding mine: This has to be the best TSA line of the year!
Old Mar 4, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
I've been traveling for a year with my CPAP machine, and I've never had TSA personnel give me any explicit instructions one way or the other. I've always taken the CPAP out of the bag and placed it in a plastic-lined bin by itself, and I've never had it pulled for secondary.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
I remove absolutely nothing - precheck or no precheck - and I gladly accept the scolding about the 5% of the time someone seems to care. Be it my CPAP, a liquid bag (which I rarely have anyway, even my toothpaste is solid), or even a laptop.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:05 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
I always ask... half the time they don't care, the other half they want it separate. I just hate having to decouple the humidifier and then trying to recouple it right through security so that it fits in the case right. PR SystemOne
Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: F9 Ascent, UA, AA, AS, ICH PA, Hertz PC.....
My CPAP pump section travels in a large ziplock bag. I always take it out of my carryon and put it in a bin, still in the bag. Almost always gets ignored. They are usually more concerned with my opt-out of the scanners, anyway.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:42 am

Like many things regarding rules and regulations - the rules are there to show the most stringent requirements. How many companies have written polices that restrict telephone calls or Internet use? Most still allow it, but the written rules are there in case there is a problem employee, and they need to enforce it.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...paps-and-apaps

On 20 trips through a TSA screening over the last 10 months, I've had to actually take my CPAP machine out of its case once. I've had to open the bag enough times that I am now doing that as a matter of course. I will put the Philips Respironics machine (in it's own carry-bag) in a separate TSA bin, and open the top and flip it back, underneath so with one quick glance the TSA agent can see what is going on.

To make that process easier, I am considering taking the hose and mask off the machine and putting them in my carry-on. I should also put the unit in a large clear plastic bag too, in case they do have to touch the machine. Maybe tonight as I pack for my next trip.

It is a pain, but unless or until the rules change, I don't see a better option. I've thought about stuffing it in my carry-on to reduce the number of items I have to carry, but I'm often on commuter jets and have to gate-check my bag. In that case, I worry about the CPAP machine getting damaged.

john
Old Jul 21, 2013, 11:13 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Welcome to Flyertalk, JohnOCFII, and thank for sharing your experience. There are quite a few threads on CPAP issues through the checkpoint so if you need pointers on navigating our finicky search function feel free to ask or perhaps some veteran member will be so kind as to post links to older discussions.

Cheers,

essxjay, TS/S moderator
Old Jul 21, 2013, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by JohnOCFII

On 20 trips through a TSA screening over the last 10 months, I've had to actually take my CPAP machine out of its case once. I've had to open the bag enough times that I am now doing that as a matter of course. I will put the Philips Respironics machine (in it's own carry-bag) in a separate TSA bin, and open the top and flip it back, underneath so with one quick glance the TSA agent can see what is going on.

john
I have always taken my CPAP out of the case*, but will try your method next time I travel. They don't seem to pay much attention, certainly not like the early days when it had to be wiped every time.

*Now that I think about it, there was a time several years ago when I was told I could just open the case. That worked for a few months at SEA and then back to complete removal.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 3:33 am

The security at Terminal 7 JFK has consistently asked me to take out my CPAP. I never do because it's a pain, and always hope that I can *get away with it*, but never.

At ORD Terminal 5 I was never asked to take it out, goes through the machine fine with no one making a fuss about it.

So no, once again TSA has a policy that isn't universally enforced...
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Given inconsistent enforcement, I'd prefer to take it out and keep eyes on my machine rather than run the risk.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage Citi Platinum Select, DL Skymiles/AMEX Plat
Flying with CPAP

My doctor recently put me on a CPAP machine. During the consultation with the medical supplier, they advised me that I could run into some issues while going through security checkpoints and with the airlines (as far as carry-on limitations go). Does anyone have experience flying with CPAP devices that could possibly give me some pointers? I heard somewhere that most airlines do not throw a fuss about medical equipment as long as there is a "proper" tag affixed to it.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please continue to follow this thread in the Practical Travel Safety/Security forum.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Are you flying solely within the US, e.g. domestic or do you anticipate boarding flights overseas?

If domestic, this is easy as CPAP is expressly covered by both carrier and TSA policies which track federal rules. Your DME supplier should have but can supply the tags you mention,

If you are boarding flights overseas, you will need to comply with the rules of the overseas jurisdiction. Your air carrier will likely have a section on its website which describes what is needed and can also provide specific advice through its medical / disability department (call customer service).

If you anticipate using the CPAP onboard, e.g. for a night flight, you will need to make arrangements with the carrier well in advance. Ordinary power circuits designed for laptops and the like can't handle CPAP and the like and the carrier may require sufficient batteries for the flight (and may limit batteries in the hold).

You will find all of this information on your carrier's website. Once you do this the first time, you will see that it is not a hassle, may need an extra 5-10 minutes somewhere in the process, and that you will be one of some significant # of travelers with a medical device.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:11 am

Welcome to the world of hoseheads!

There are several threads here that provide more info: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disability-travel-224/.

Another great resource and support forum for a new cpap user is www.cpaptalk.com.

For domestic travel - taking cpap on-board does NOT count as an extra bag. It's clearly spelled out in both the disability act and TSA websites. For international flights, every airlines has different rules. In general, it's not a free carry on per se. For longer flights, in-flight use varies also. PM for more specific questions.

PS - never pack cpap in checked bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.