FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying with CPAP
View Single Post
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:42 am
JohnOCFII

Like many things regarding rules and regulations - the rules are there to show the most stringent requirements. How many companies have written polices that restrict telephone calls or Internet use? Most still allow it, but the written rules are there in case there is a problem employee, and they need to enforce it.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...paps-and-apaps

On 20 trips through a TSA screening over the last 10 months, I've had to actually take my CPAP machine out of its case once. I've had to open the bag enough times that I am now doing that as a matter of course. I will put the Philips Respironics machine (in it's own carry-bag) in a separate TSA bin, and open the top and flip it back, underneath so with one quick glance the TSA agent can see what is going on.

To make that process easier, I am considering taking the hose and mask off the machine and putting them in my carry-on. I should also put the unit in a large clear plastic bag too, in case they do have to touch the machine. Maybe tonight as I pack for my next trip.

It is a pain, but unless or until the rules change, I don't see a better option. I've thought about stuffing it in my carry-on to reduce the number of items I have to carry, but I'm often on commuter jets and have to gate-check my bag. In that case, I worry about the CPAP machine getting damaged.

john