Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with CPAP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:22 am
mck

Originally Posted by dtsm
PS - never pack cpap in checked bags.

Could I trouble you to elaborate on this? If we can't use it on the plane do you think it will cause issues with baggage screening?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by dtsm
PS - never pack cpap in checked bags.
I frequently do...and am also curious why I shouldn't.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bitburgr
Lost, damage, stolen.
smc333 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i have carried one for about 5 years. almost all tatl or tptl. i have carried it onto planes close to 100 times. i carry it in a separate bag, and use bongi cords to strap it onto my wheeled carry on.it has been looked at almost every time. i only had one guy (TSA at iAd) want me to check it. i would not, and was allowed to carry it. .

i do not run it while on the plane.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by bitburgr
Same reason I wouldn't for laptop or tablet.

Originally Posted by Often1
If you anticipate using the CPAP onboard, e.g. for a night flight, you will need to make arrangements with the carrier well in advance. Ordinary power circuits designed for laptops and the like can't handle CPAP and the like and the carrier may require sufficient batteries for the flight (and may limit batteries in the hold).
Airlines treat in-flight usage differently. Emirates, JAL and ANA requires pre-authorization. CX, Eva Air, UA don't require; have flown them multiple times a year for past 6 years, without ever a problem.

And in J/F class, the power outlet will handle cpap as long as humidifier is not hooked up. Again, never a problem with any airlines power outlets.

Last edited by dtsm; Jan 20, 2016 at 12:53 pm
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Citi Platinum Select, DL Skymiles/AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
Are you flying solely within the US, e.g. domestic or do you anticipate boarding flights overseas?

If domestic, this is easy as CPAP is expressly covered by both carrier and TSA policies which track federal rules. Your DME supplier should have but can supply the tags you mention,

If you are boarding flights overseas, you will need to comply with the rules of the overseas jurisdiction. Your air carrier will likely have a section on its website which describes what is needed and can also provide specific advice through its medical / disability department (call customer service).

If you anticipate using the CPAP onboard, e.g. for a night flight, you will need to make arrangements with the carrier well in advance. Ordinary power circuits designed for laptops and the like can't handle CPAP and the like and the carrier may require sufficient batteries for the flight (and may limit batteries in the hold).

You will find all of this information on your carrier's website. Once you do this the first time, you will see that it is not a hassle, may need an extra 5-10 minutes somewhere in the process, and that you will be one of some significant # of travelers with a medical device.
Thanks for the information! I primarily fly domestic. The DME stated I would have to obtain the tags elsewhere as they don't carry them.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki
i have carried one for about 5 years. almost all tatl or tptl. i have carried it onto planes close to 100 times. i carry it in a separate bag, and use bongi cords to strap it onto my wheeled carry on.it has been looked at almost every time. i only had one guy (TSA at iAd) want me to check it. i would not, and was allowed to carry it. .

i do not run it while on the plane.
I don't anticipate using mine on the plane either. Only concern I have is an off-chance where I would encounter an ignorant/nosy TSA agent who finds it necessary to dismantle electronic items coming through the checkpoint (I've actually had this happen twice before with some radio equipment that was stowed in my carry-on).
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by tony732
I don't anticipate using mine on the plane either. Only concern I have is an off-chance where I would encounter an ignorant/nosy TSA agent who finds it necessary to dismantle electronic items coming through the checkpoint (I've actually had this happen twice before with some radio equipment that was stowed in my carry-on).

Cpap is old news, TSA agents don't even blink when they see them these days.

I used to carry the medical tag when I first started using cpap but took it off a couple of years ago. You can buy them on-line for about $10-15, or make your own by printing the card and going to local Staples to laminated - out of pocket is then $2.00 ^

The only place you "might" encounter issue is an ignorant airline rep who will insist on counting as 'extra' carry-on. Don't argue with them, just ask for a supervisor.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I have been carrying one for over a year now. I sometimes carry it in its own Resmed bag, but more recently, I put it in my carry-on.
It has never been questioned or challenged.

I don't put it in checked luggage because it is an expensive ASV. Furthermore, I may need it when I get to my destination

I also stopped carrying it in its own bag after the gentleman sitting next to me on the plane a few months ago had an identical Resmed bag.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You can print the CPAP tag and laminate it yourself if your DME guys won't give you one (they've probably got drawers full of them and can't be bothered to look). Or make one up and laminate it.

Do not check it. It won't be covered if it's lost or damaged and, if you can do without it if lost/damaged, you might as well not travel with it.

On flights doing enhanced carry-on checks, e.g., making sure that people aren't carrying on too much, make sure to affirmatively identify yourself to the GA, so you don't have a hassle at boarding.

Remember, there are thousands if not more people traveling with these devices every day. It really isn't a big deal.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
My wife and I have been a traveling hoseheads for years. TSA is indeed unfazed by them--we never have to take the machine out of the bag for Pre-Check. In boarding, I'll occasionally have a GA raise a question about my having three bags (rollerboard, computer bag and CPAP), but all I need to do is say, "Medical assistive device" and they always wave me on with no problem.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles; Marriott Rewards; UAL MileagePlus
International Carrier Clarification

Just to clarify the use of a CPAP on international carriers: I will be "Flying Blue" this summer (J, booked on DL website) and noticed on the KLM website that CPAPs require some type of advance approval. When I called, I was advised that no doctor's affidavit or Rx is required, but passengers are NOT allowed to use the aircraft power system with the CPAP on board. They did ask for the brand and type of device I would have. I have now gotten a battery for my little Transcend (which I needed anyway, living in Fla and being used to power outages). Their reasoning was that the aircraft power supply fluctuates and they could not guarantee that the CPAP would be effective or undamaged, so simply won't allow its use except with a battery pack. Flying home on AF, same story. It was not a hassle, just a simple phone call, but can imagine it would easily turn into one if it is assumed international carriers operate the same as US.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 10:56 pm

Finally flew with my CPAP today for the first time since I've had it, and encountered absolutely no issues with TSA. They knew what it was before I even got the case on their machine. They just asked me to remove the main unit and place it in the tray (as one would do with a laptop). I did, however, encounter an issue with an AA GA at DFW. Evidently, they're (again) strictly enforcing carry-ons. She told me they'd have to check it, and quickly backed-off when she saw the medical tag.

To all that suggested the medical tag...thank you! Found some on Amazon for a very reasonable price. It saved my behind!
Old May 4, 2016, 1:31 pm

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by tony732
My doctor recently put me on a CPAP machine. During the consultation with the medical supplier, they advised me that I could run into some issues while going through security checkpoints and with the airlines (as far as carry-on limitations go). Does anyone have experience flying with CPAP devices that could possibly give me some pointers? I heard somewhere that most airlines do not throw a fuss about medical equipment as long as there is a "proper" tag affixed to it.

Thanks in advance.
I just flew LAX->LHR, LHR->EDI, EDI->LHR and LHR->LAX with my mom who uses a CPAP. While I cannot speak for every airport or airline, we had absolutely no problem and we had to go through security 4 times during our trip. Security and the airline (even at Heathrow) handled it great.

You will want to get a case for the machine if you don't have one. Then put it through the Xray by itself. At Heathrow, the only other thing they asked was to keep the zipper open so it would be easy to peek into the bag if something came up on the image. The airline, Virgin Atlantic, had no problem with this either. They never even asked what it was.

Since my mom's medical condition isn't severe, if she were to have the machine stolen or broken, she could likely get a replacement. She found it to be a huge pain to have to carry it separately, so she will likely check it in next time and hope for the best. If you have a life/death need for a CPAP, then DO NOT check it in.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: Independent
CPAP through Security

I see a number of threads about using CPAP on a plane, but very little about going through security with a CPAP. What is the protocol - so you need to take it out of the bag? If I have Pre-Check can I leave it in the case? And do I need to take even those little travel units out, too?

Likewise, my understanding is that the CPAP doesn't count towards your carry-on, but the case I got anyways is the size of a small laptop bag. Can I put that and my roll aboard up above, or am I still expected to fit my laptop bag and the cpap under my seat? Any strategies or tips about carrying the CPAP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.