Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. Preclearance at Dublin Airport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by N1120A
If they are inclined to limit you, explain your situation and the CBP agent is likely to give you the full 90 days. Remember, however, that the US pretends like Canadian sovereignty is fungible and counts your entire time in North America against the 90 days.

This is true, but there is a HUGE thing to remember. The 90 day admission is good for however long you are in NORTH AMERICA and not just the US. Some unfortunate UK tourists were treated horribly when they had a mixed US/Canada trip a year or two ago.

I think that depends if the OP is using ESTA or not. It also depends on what kind of mood the CBP agent in Dublin is in. They usually just give the regular stamp, which means 90 days. I've seen, however, them use the "mean" stamp addition to limit the admission, even for Canadians.

I think there must be some sort of exception for pre-cleared flights, as they have lots of shopping at YYZ and other Canadian pre-clearance airports.

Incorrect. The reason you have security screening after international arrivals is because the passenger has had access to checked bags in the customs area. Since these flights are pre-cleared for customs and immigration, there is no re-screening (unless gate gropes are going on).

Maybe on the airplane, but there is certainly shopping after CBP pre-clearance in Toronto and it seems in Dublin as well.
Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is the "mean stamp"? I've never heard of any of my non-US friends getting anything other than the standard date stamp with either WB or B1 written in the status section.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by König
How soon after landing in Newark are you planning to cross into the USA again? If I am not mistaken, you can retain your green I-94W form if you go to Canada for 3 (?) days and then return to the USA. In that case, you would not need to go inside the building and be "processed".

But is the CBP still attaching paper I-94W forms in the passport? I thought they switched to electronic form.
In the ETSA era, OP probably has only entered the USA via land crossing which presumably doesn't require an ETSA.

OP, you won't be granted a boarding pass, much less make it to the preclearance area of DUB unless you get an ETSA (electronic system travel authorization). https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

And you need to do this in advance. I hope you aren't traveling like today or tomorrow, or you are out of luck.

A great example of where providing details would have saved time.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
In the ETSA era, OP probably has only entered the USA via land crossing which presumably doesn't require an ETSA.

OP, you won't be granted a boarding pass, much less make it to the preclearance area of DUB unless you get an ETSA (electronic system travel authorization). https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

And you need to do this in advance. I hope you aren't traveling like today or tomorrow, or you are out of luck.

A great example of where providing details would have saved time.
Yes I do have an ESTA, I'm not new to traveling to the USA. Indeed even for a land crossing we required an ESTA
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:19 pm

This is the situation where the presence of Firebug4 would probably be beneficial to the OP.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by König
This is the situation where the presence of Firebug4 would probably be beneficial to the OP.
What is Firebug4? And why would it be beneficial to me? :-/
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:34 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by rfcjohn
What is Firebug4? And why would it be beneficial to me? :-/
He is a FT poster and an agent with with CBP who works clearance desks at the airport (or did for some time IIRC). He might be at a border station now, but I could be thinking of another CBP poster. He sometimes answers questions, though several direct ones I sent have gone unanswered over the years but YMMV.

CBP has an online option for questions and I found it most helpful for specific policy and procedure questions. I got an answer in less than 24 hours.
It is under their contact websection.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Can someone please explain how duty free purchase is permitted even after pre-clearance?
Furthermore, regarding luggage, what's stopping someone from hiding things in their luggage? It seems from the video posted regarding DUB that they just show a picture of your luggage, but don't bother opening it up.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Can someone please explain how duty free purchase is permitted even after pre-clearance?
Furthermore, regarding luggage, what's stopping someone from hiding things in their luggage? It seems from the video posted regarding DUB that they just show a picture of your luggage, but don't bother opening it up.
They can do an inspection of your luggage after you check your bag, or before it's loaded on the plane. They ask you to confirm, so in case you have something in it you've admitted it's your luggage.

It's not that different from the US--they don't have most passengers open their bags at the customs check. If they have a suspicion (or more) they may give a secondary screening.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Duty-free purchases are permitted after pre-clearance because CBP allows it? You are still reminded of your duty free allowances, and you are expected to adhere to them or declare the excess. However, IME, I have never had CBP question your duty-free purchases on arrival into the USA. Passport verification in the arrival jet bridge though, that I've experienced. Remember - you've been pre-cleared to enter the USA. Doesn't mean that you can't be sent to immigration/customs again on arrival, if CBP so desires.

CBP doesn't open up every single piece of luggage that enters the USA every day...
Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I know that they don't open even most bags upon arrival to USA, they have that ability. Here, it just seemed that it would be much harder for them to open bags should they want to.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
While I know that they don't open even most bags upon arrival to USA, they have that ability. Here, it just seemed that it would be much harder for them to open bags should they want to.

Why? CBP searches bags before they come out on the baggage claim conveyor belts in the US. At a minimum they have dogs sniffing them as they get loaded onto the belts. Why would that be harder to do in DUB/SNN?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hard to explain exactly what I meant, and regardless, all my questions were answered anyways. Sorry for the vagueness of that but thanks for the responses though!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Hard to explain exactly what I meant, and regardless, all my questions were answered anyways. Sorry for the vagueness of that but thanks for the responses though!
I understand what you mean now. In YVR, where you drop your bags off before going through US customs, there is the ability for US CBP officers to request your bag(s) to be brought into the customs inspection area for further screening.

There will be a delay while they go and retrieve the bag from below, but it does happen on a regular basis.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:53 am

Dublin Airport Preclearance

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the preclearance at Dublin airports. I understand that flights arriving at certain US destinations/airports are precleared in Dublin, but not ALL US destinations. For which US airports will there be preclearance?

Thanks!
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
As a data point, my wife flew DUB-BOS on EI in June and did not go through pre-clearance in DUB.

I have no idea if that is normal or if which flights do it is random.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.