Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. Preclearance at Dublin Airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2012, 2:07 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
IMHO the best thing about pre-clearance at SNN and DUB is that you arrive at a domestic gate in the USA and do not have to go through TSA screening when you arrive in the USA.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
IMHO the best thing about pre-clearance at SNN and DUB is that you arrive at a domestic gate in the USA and do not have to go through TSA screening when you arrive in the USA.
Are there official USA TSA in Shannon, or does TSA in the USA trust Irish airport screeners?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by AArlington
Are there official USA TSA in Shannon, or does TSA in the USA trust Irish airport screeners?
It is a full TSA "service" with US staff - you clear all normal US entry immigration and customs in Shannon and then arrive at a domestic gate in the USA. I've done this on the BA001 service from LCY to JFK (via SNN).
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Physci
It is a full TSA "service" with US staff - you clear all normal US entry immigration and customs in Shannon and then arrive at a domestic gate in the USA. I've done this on the BA001 service from LCY to JFK (via SNN).
Entry into the US is controlled by CBP, not TSA. OP is flying into the USA and then on to Canada. He will be cleared into the USA prior to departure (hence "pre-clearance"). He will arrive at a UA domestic gate at EWR and proceed to his connection as would any other arriving domestic pax because there's no such thing as transit at EWR.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by nrr
At http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-...clearance.aspx CBP has a video showing details of the whole process.
At the very end of the video (you have already cleared US customs and immigration) they note that you have further opportunities to do "duty free shopping", wouldn't these purchases (possibly) require a new customs declaration form?
No more so than duty-free shopping in the trans-border lounge at YYZ would.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 3:55 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Critic
No more so than duty-free shopping in the trans-border lounge at YYZ would.
When one arrives in the US (from a non-preclearance locale) they have already done their duty free shopping and so the "customs form" is their final statement for their intl. shopping on that trip.
In the case of Dublin, they have already presented their custom form to CBP, and (it seems from video) they can still do more shopping.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by nrr
When one arrives in the US (from a non-preclearance locale) they have already done their duty free shopping and so the "customs form" is their final statement for their intl. shopping on that trip.
In the case of Dublin, they have already presented their custom form to CBP, and (it seems from video) they can still do more shopping.
...yeah, and YYZ is a also a pre-clearance location, and you're clearing CBP before you get to the duty-free shops. So...
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
There is no US CBP preclearance for DUB YYZ. YYZ is not in the US. If OP is flying DUB YYZ and then onto US destination then the US CBP preclear point is YYZ.

Canada CBSA does not do foreign departure port preclearance.

UA flight DUB YYZ could be AC code share.
UNLESS the itinerary is DUB EWR YYZ?

Irish Whiskey selection at YYZ duty free post US CBP checkpoint is very limited.

Since OP mention flying into YYZ and staying at Niagara Falls, ON and driving to Buffalo then his US entry point will be the bridge at Queenston/Lewiston, Rainbow or Peace.

Last edited by tentseller; Oct 22, 2012 at 8:58 pm
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:38 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Critic
...yeah, and YYZ is a also a pre-clearance location, and you're clearing CBP before you get to the duty-free shops. So...
You have already filled out a customs declaration; if your duty free purchases are (now) exceeding your allowable limit, aren't you supposed to declare the excess?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tentseller
There is no US CBP preclearance for DUB YYZ. YYZ is not in the US. If OP is flying DUB YYZ and then onto US destination then the US CBP preclear point is YYZ.

Canada CBSA does not do foreign departure port preclearance.

UA flight DUB YYZ could be AC code share.
UNLESS the itinerary is DUB EWR YYZ?

Irish Whiskey selection at YYZ duty free post US CBP checkpoint is very limited.

Since OP mention flying into YYZ and staying at Niagara Falls, ON and driving to Buffalo then his US entry point will be the bridge at Queenston/Lewiston, Rainbow or Peace.
+1 Amen.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
Entry into the US is controlled by CBP, not TSA. OP is flying into the USA and then on to Canada. He will be cleared into the USA prior to departure (hence "pre-clearance"). He will arrive at a UA domestic gate at EWR and proceed to his connection as would any other arriving domestic pax because there's no such thing as transit at EWR.
Yes, but TSA security check is needed because upon arrival at EWR or elsewhere in the USA, the OP will be mixed with other passengers in the airport who have gone through TSA security to go airside. Remember that USA airports do not segregate arriving and departing passengers.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by sgfood
I fly from Dublin/Shannon three times a year, have done for twelve years. I have dual citizenship, it's a little different if you only hold an Irish passport which I believe the OP has judging by his need for a visa.
Sorry was talking to OP who apparently is a Canadian and thus should have experienced preclearance.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, but TSA security check is needed because upon arrival at EWR or elsewhere in the USA, the OP will be mixed with other passengers in the airport who have gone through TSA security to go airside. Remember that USA airports do not segregate arriving and departing passengers.
When flying from DUB to the USA, the TSA check is only needed if landing at a terminal that has no airside connection with domestic flights. E.g. Fly Aer Lingus DUB to ORD, arrive in the international terminal and take the train to a domestic terminal. Fly American Airlines instead, and you will arrive in ORD T2 and avoid TSA.

Checked bags might undergo an additional TSA check, meaning that for connections under 60 minutes bags will misconnect (as used to be the case on preclearance flights from Canada until the TSA started trusting CATSA) but pax are immune.

Last edited by mre5765; Oct 23, 2012 at 6:55 am
Old Oct 23, 2012, 7:43 am

I did the preclearance going from DUB to JFK. The process was relatively smooth, and did not take as long as I thought it would. It made it easy on me when I landed at JFK to not have to go & reclaim my bag after going through the checks then re-checking it, then having to clear security again. Once my flight landed from Dublin into JFK, my flight onward to ORD was in the same terminal which made things good for me. I claimed my bag in ORD then went from there onward to my home. Makes me want to go back to Dublin airport more often as the process made my arrival stateside painless!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 8:36 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are far more flights from LHR to JFK than from DUB, it would be nice if they added preclearance from LHR also--while they are at adding CDG might also be nice (I'm shooting for the moon!)
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
never mind - see next post

Last edited by drewguy; Oct 23, 2012 at 9:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.