Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. Preclearance at Dublin Airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by nrr
When one arrives in the US (from a non-preclearance locale) they have already done their duty free shopping and so the "customs form" is their final statement for their intl. shopping on that trip.
In the case of Dublin, they have already presented their custom form to CBP, and (it seems from video) they can still do more shopping.

I think there is no duty free after the CBP clearance.

Note also that Aer Lingus explains on-board duty free shopping is not available for Dublin preclearance flights:

http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinfor...usimmigration/
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by rfcjohn
I'm flying to Toronto with United in January and wonder what preclearance in Dublin actually means? As I'm staying close to Niagara Falls in Ontario and hope to drive across to the US during my trip will this preclearance give me my 90 day permission that I normally receive when I drive into the US from Canada?
If they are inclined to limit you, explain your situation and the CBP agent is likely to give you the full 90 days. Remember, however, that the US pretends like Canadian sovereignty is fungible and counts your entire time in North America against the 90 days.

Originally Posted by evanderm
Every time you cross the border your eligibility is re-assessed. However, in my experience if you say that you already have a stamp that is within the 90-day visa waiver visa you won't have to fill in the I-94W (green form) which still gets stapled into your passport at land border crossings.
I've had my passport stamped again, but the date written in as the original 90-day date when travelling to Buffalo from Toronto even though I flew in through ORD the week before.
This is true, but there is a HUGE thing to remember. The 90 day admission is good for however long you are in NORTH AMERICA and not just the US. Some unfortunate UK tourists were treated horribly when they had a mixed US/Canada trip a year or two ago.

Originally Posted by sgfood
My fault, misread not direct to Toronto. However OP stated he was flying to Toronto, therefore unless he is exiting and staying in the US first he will only be issued a transit visa for connection to Canada and not an I-94. If he is staying in US first he will lose his I-94 on departure and need to get one at the border to enter again.
I think that depends if the OP is using ESTA or not. It also depends on what kind of mood the CBP agent in Dublin is in. They usually just give the regular stamp, which means 90 days. I've seen, however, them use the "mean" stamp addition to limit the admission, even for Canadians.

Originally Posted by nrr
You have already filled out a customs declaration; if your duty free purchases are (now) exceeding your allowable limit, aren't you supposed to declare the excess?
I think there must be some sort of exception for pre-cleared flights, as they have lots of shopping at YYZ and other Canadian pre-clearance airports.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, but TSA security check is needed because upon arrival at EWR or elsewhere in the USA, the OP will be mixed with other passengers in the airport who have gone through TSA security to go airside. Remember that USA airports do not segregate arriving and departing passengers.
Incorrect. The reason you have security screening after international arrivals is because the passenger has had access to checked bags in the customs area. Since these flights are pre-cleared for customs and immigration, there is no re-screening (unless gate gropes are going on).

Originally Posted by drewguy
I think there is no duty free after the CBP clearance.

Note also that Aer Lingus explains on-board duty free shopping is not available for Dublin preclearance flights:
Maybe on the airplane, but there is certainly shopping after CBP pre-clearance in Toronto and it seems in Dublin as well.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by N1120A
Maybe on the airplane, but there is certainly shopping after CBP pre-clearance in Toronto and it seems in Dublin as well.
I assume the exception is that from a CBP perspective you've already immigrated to the United States, even though you're still in Dublin (or Canada), and therefore no longer subject to any customs limitations.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:00 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by drewguy
I assume the exception is that from a CBP perspective you've already immigrated to the United States, even though you're still in Dublin (or Canada), and therefore no longer subject to any customs limitations.
This is true, but there is the issue of tax collection.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
There is lots of shopping post clearance. My assumption has always been that the onus is on the traveler to stay within his exemption, or upon arriving on U.S. soil, seek out the nearest CBP office (usually at the arriving airport) and make a declaration.

Given that the CBP reserves the right to inspect arriving pax from pre clearance airports (something which has never happened from Canada to me, but did on a flight from DUB this year) it would prudent for a traveler to comply with the customs laws.

Originally Posted by N1120A
This is true, but there is the issue of tax collection.
Right, I doubt the vendors in preclearance areas are paying duty to the CBP.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Physci
It is a full TSA "service" with US staff.
This is not true. There is enhanced security at Dublin for US flights to meet TSA requirements but it's handled by Irish security staff. This is just like the enhanced security at Canadian airports for US flights which is handled by CATSA, not the TSA.

To be honest the irish extra security is a bit of a joke. They just x-ray your shoes since the normal security doesn't require that you take off your shoes. But since you don't walk through the magnetometer again you could have just transferred whatever the TSA is worried people might hide in their shoes into their pocket before the extra check.

Frankly the OP's question is so vague and unclear about his circumstances that all the speculation trying to answer the original question is all pointless.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, but TSA security check is needed because upon arrival at EWR or elsewhere in the USA, the OP will be mixed with other passengers in the airport who have gone through TSA security to go airside. Remember that USA airports do not segregate arriving and departing passengers.
Doesn't seem to apply to arrivals from PC ports. TSA clearance would be required for an ordinary intl. arrival because you have access to your checked luggage for CBP and thus could take an item prohibited from carry-on out of the checked and put it in your carry-on.

On arrival from a PC port, you are a domestic US pax, aircraft parks at domestic gate and you exit jetway directly into sterile-side of airport without re-clearing security.

Needless to say, as with all flights inbound USA, local security must meet DHS standards. But, there's no TSA on the ground handling inspections.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Needless to say, as with all flights inbound USA, local security must meet DHS standards. But, there's no TSA on the ground handling inspections.
Inbound flights to the US that are precleared need to meet a different standard than inbound flights without preclearance.

The main difference for Ireland and Canada seems to be that you have to take your shoes off. In Canada that means there's a different security station that uses different procedures that include taking off your shoes. In Ireland it means after you've gone through security, eat and shop in the normal terminal, then go thorugh US preclearance there's a second small security station that only takes a minute where they put your shoes through an x-ray machine.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by zkzkz
Inbound flights to the US that are precleared need to meet a different standard than inbound flights without preclearance.

The main difference for Ireland and Canada seems to be that you have to take your shoes off. In Canada that means there's a different security station that uses different procedures that include taking off your shoes. In Ireland it means after you've gone through security, eat and shop in the normal terminal, then go thorugh US preclearance there's a second small security station that only takes a minute where they put your shoes through an x-ray machine.
The question was whether TSA was on the ground at DUB or whether one reclears TSA upon arrival in the USA. TSA is not on the ground conducting inspections and one does not reclear security upon arrival in the USA (unless it's a connection where one would reclear if domestic-domestic due to terminal/concourse layout).
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
When one arrives in the US (from a non-preclearance locale) they have already done their duty free shopping and so the "customs form" is their final statement for their intl. shopping on that trip.
In the case of Dublin, they have already presented their custom form to CBP, and (it seems from video) they can still do more shopping.
The video is out of date. DUB (and SNN) used only have immigration pre-clearance. So hence one could still buy duty free on board flights etc.

Now that both have got both immigration and customs pre-clearance, duty free is no longer available after you pre-clear. Any flight that pre-clears at DUB no longer sells duty free on board etc.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by colmc
The video is out of date. DUB (and SNN) used only have immigration pre-clearance. So hence one could still buy duty free on board flights etc.

Now that both have got both immigration and customs pre-clearance, duty free is no longer available after you pre-clear. Any flight that pre-clears at DUB no longer sells duty free on board etc.
Oddly, duty free from Canadian pre clearance airports to the USA continues to be available.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
Oddly, duty free from Canadian pre clearance airports to the USA continues to be available.
I think this has to do with the liquids rules and the fact that a large portion of YYZ-US travellers don't check bags. There is a store before Customs band before security and if you purchase DF there you have to check it in. There's then a shop after security for DF that you want to carry on. Your boarding pass is stamped when you purchase DF at either of the locations which I suspect (though haven't tested) is to prevent you from buying twice. Although, with print-at-home and mobile boarding passes this is very easily circumvented.

BDA also only has the one store before pre-clearance.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by zkzkz
Frankly the OP's question is so vague and unclear about his circumstances that all the speculation trying to answer the original question is all pointless.
Thank you everyone for the responses, but perhaps my OP was unclear so I'll set out my situation

We normally fly BFS - LHR - YYZ but this year we are going DUB - EWR - YYZ with Dublin to Newark on United. As we are stay with family close to Niagara Falls ON we normally take a few trips across the Rainbow Bridge into the USA but on our first trip across each time we have to wait, join the queue in the office and get our VWP green form for 90 days stamped and attached to our passports - for a $12 fee, of course

This time, as we will be landing in Newark before flying on to Toronto, my question asks if "pre-clearance" in Dublin will take the place of this wait and VWP stamp etc process at the Rainbow Bridge - in other words, will we be free to enter the USA from Canada the first time we drive across without having to be processed? Is that what pre-clearance does?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by rfcjohn
in other words, will we be free to enter the USA from Canada the first time we drive across without having to be processed? Is that what pre-clearance does?
How soon after landing in Newark are you planning to cross into the USA again? If I am not mistaken, you can retain your green I-94W form if you go to Canada for 3 (?) days and then return to the USA. In that case, you would not need to go inside the building and be "processed".

But is the CBP still attaching paper I-94W forms in the passport? I thought they switched to electronic form.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by König
How soon after landing in Newark are you planning to cross into the USA again? If I am not mistaken, you can retain your green I-94W form if you go to Canada for 3 (?) days and then return to the USA. In that case, you would not need to go inside the building and be "processed".

But is the CBP still attaching paper I-94W forms in the passport? I thought they switched to electronic form.
We will certainly be crossing back over into the US from Canada within 3 days of our short layover at EWR

We last crossed from Canada into the US in November 2011 and CBP were certainly attaching paper I-94W forms in the passport then as we had to hand it in the last time we crossed back into Canada on 1st December before our flight home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.