Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

"SSSS" - Secondary Security Screening Selection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"SSSS" - Secondary Security Screening Selection

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: MR Plat, AA EXP, Hertz Presidents Club, SPG Plat
Lucky you...

This is fairly common, the SSSS stands for Secondary Security Screening Selection or Secondary Security Screening Selectee. The criteria that TSA select people for this "Special" screening, but it has happened to me in the past, mostly when I have a one way flight.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by V1-Vr-V2
Happened to my wife once while traveling with me, I did not get it. From what I can tell, the only criteria she met was "random". Luckily it was in DSM so there wasn't much of a line nor much hassle for her.
Not much delay, about 10 minutes. Interesting thing though is they were surprised to see how big the font was, a few agents asked to see it out of curiosity.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
If you are at an airport during busy times and without elite lines for security, the SSSS actually gets you through security faster.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:54 am

I haven´t seen the SSSS printed out for quite a while, and I used to get it every single time I flew (I´m apparently watch-listed).

I really don´t get it. You go to the counter. They give you a boarding pass with a huge symbol anyone with a bit of experience knows means secondary inspection. Then they let you roam free in the airport until you get to the checkpoint.

If I was a terrorist, that would give me ample space to find a way to conceal whatever I wanted to go unseen, find another person to cary it in for me, or simply buy another ticket or fake a boarding pass with no SSSS.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: None - previously UA
I used to get the S's every time I flew US Airways - which gave me a good excuse not to.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
If I was a terrorist, that would give me ample space to find a way to conceal whatever I wanted to go unseen, find another person to cary it in for me, or simply buy another ticket or fake a boarding pass with no SSSS.
1. Just go up to another counter and use one of your fake IDs to purchase another ticket in another name, using it to get through security instead.

2. Just go to one of the bunch of web sites out there that let you print out fake boarding passes and use it to get by security instead of the real one.

3. Just give the illicit device to one of your assistants.

4. Just sneak the device into some mule's bag.

5. Just put on a UPS uniform and carry a package; you'll be given free unfettered access to the sterile area. Or use a water delivery person's uniform. Or a janitor's uniform.

My, my, how safe that watch list makes us!
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: UA1K MM, LH Senator, HH Plat, Priority Club Gold, UA RCC, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jetlagjunkie
This is fairly common, the SSSS stands for Secondary Security Screening Selection or Secondary Security Screening Selectee. The criteria that TSA select people for this "Special" screening, but it has happened to me in the past, mostly when I have a one way flight.
This one is a mystery to me. First time I saw it was on my sons boarding pass. When I asked what a four year old needed special screening for no one knew the answer. Happned again when he was five and six years old. Finally when he turned seven they stopped it and he could stay with us in the premier line. What a total pain in the rear end.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
It was confirmed to me after the first and only time I ever received SSSS on my BP that an airline employee can force SSSS status on to you on their whim.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
The only time it has happend to me was when I was flying on a one-way ticket, purchased the day of on an airline that I had no status and no checked bags. The SSSS happend to me and two other collegues similarly situated as me on the flight. A fourth collegue had all circumstances the same as the three of us (except she had status) and was not flagged with SSSS.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Originally Posted by flyinbob
If you are at an airport during busy times and without elite lines for security, the SSSS actually gets you through security faster.
How can this possibly be true?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer
It happened to my wife....

We were on seprate PNR's she got an SSSS, at the "ID check" she was moved to a SSSS line, and I advanced to the X-ray of the regular line. Took me about 5 min longer to get through, as she was patted and swabbed in the time it took me to even get a bin.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Question

Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer
Depends a lot on the airport -- but once I was at O'Hare with a huge line and I got to skip it b/c of SSSS, I might have missed flight otherwise.

If SSSS is done randomly with OLCI, that would be stupid -- too easy to simply change your plans if you are a terrorist. I think they only put it on there for algorithim reasons (one ways, no FF#, etc.).

I don't think I ever had SSSS since that O'Hare flight, about 5 years ago, and that's with ~100k miles/yr flown.

I've often wondered what would happen if you just photocopied the BP without the SSSS -- I can't imagine any law tha would prevent that, so long as it was not a broader plot to actually commit a terrorist act. There may be a law against altering your BP, not sure.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:13 pm

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Originally Posted by masonuc
Depends a lot on the airport -- but once I was at O'Hare with a huge line and I got to skip it b/c of SSSS, I might have missed flight otherwise.
Is there a dedicated and exclusive separate ("non-huge") line for SSSS folks? If so, I couldn't wait to sign up. . DHS should call it Terrorist Fast Pass.

Last edited by Cheerfulflyer; Apr 29, 2010 at 12:23 pm Reason: Added humor ;)
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I thought the SSSS stuff was finished when they stopped looking at bps before you walked through the scanners.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by N1120A
It was confirmed to me after the first and only time I ever received SSSS on my BP that an airline employee can force SSSS status on to you on their whim.
That happened to my wife and I at SFO when we questioned a baggage charge. The screening guys took a look at it and rolled their eyes. One of them told me to complain to the airline, since SSSS is not supposed to be used as retaliation.
We got the full go-over, but the screeners were very professional and polite about it all.
They said Air Canada was famous for it...no kidding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.