Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

going through Security - how to organize documents; valuables?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

I try very hard to ready when I go through security, coat or sweater in bin, little plastic bag held high with my liquids but I always seem to get something wrong. Last time I had my passport and boarding pass in a little bag around my neck and when I went to walk though the old fashioned scanner was told to take the neck bag off. So what's to be done with all the documents someone is always wanting to see at a moment's notice? How are we to show our passport and boarding pass at the start of security and then get our shoes off and stuff the paperwork into our carry on bag and keep the line moving? And what about money belts, do we have to take them off. I'll be flying through LHR and Seattle.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:27 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
smithokay, welcome to FlyerTalk. Please follow as the thread moves to the Travel Safety/Security forum for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:05 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Belts (if they do alarm) need to be taken off as to watches and cellphones.

A simple strategy would be to do as follows:

Present the BP & I/D checker your passport and bp as you always do.

if you can do this prior to entering the line, the better but I remove my watch and cellphone and put them in an inside pocket of my jacket which is then folded with the items "inside the fold and not on top and then placed in the little grey bin. You can also place you passport holder (with your BP and passport back in it as you no longer need it to go thru the WTMD) on your jacket before you fold it. As to your belt, if it's a money belt I would pull the cash and put it in my pocket (or a pocket of the folded jacket) and then put the belt in the little grey bin.

I know it sounds like a lot to do but you can actually get almost all of it done between showing your I/D and placing your items on the belt adn you should not be asked for I/D or your BP again unless you lucky enough to be picked for a gate search
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA, Continental, SW
Ditch the cute little boarding pass/id neck case for starters. Put all of your valuables in your carry on - be sure to stow everything securely inside zippered sections of whatever kind of bag you choose to use. If you are concerned about theft, put some type of secure lock on the zippered sections. You can use a standard combination lock or a non-TSA lock with a key you keep on your person.

After you pass through the boarding pass/id checkpoint, put your id and boarding pass inside your carry on bag. Leave nothing out except shoes (typically on conveyor belt not in a bin), coat (folded as suggested above, stowed in a bin), and your carry-on. Should you have a laptop, running a cable lock between your carry-on bag and laptop is a good idea.

I put my shoes on the belt first, followed by my secured carry on bag, followed by my laptop, with the coat coming last.

I do not start my belongings on the belt until I have made eye contact with the TSA agent controlling the flow of passengers through the metal detector. When I get the "come in" signal, I shove the shoes and everything else through. I do not start walking until my coat is inside the conveyor belt.

I usually make it through the line before my shoes come out. I get my shoes on, bag collected, and laptop restowed before my coat comes through.

Never put anything in a bin or bucket as a loose item.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:42 pm

After showing my ID/Boarding Pass to the checker I step aside (so others may pass me) and take about 30 seconds to organize things for the x-ray - primarily to prevent theft and so I don't lose or forget anything myself.

I already keep my wallet/boarding pass/passport/paperwork in a zipped small messenger bag. (ok a manpurse)

That small bag goes in my rollerbag carryon, and I remove my laptop and 311 bag from carryon.

I put a small padlock on my carryon, and put the key in a side zipper. The only thing of high value that's out is my laptop, as everything else is securly stored (and LOCKED) in my carry on.

I put them through in order of Carryon > bin with laptop > bin with 311s and shoes. Laptop is purposly in the middle, surrounded by my other possessions.

I don't let them out of my sight, and if a TSO did take by bag they'd have to wait to open it until I unlock it.

Takes my about 30 seconds on each side. Main point being: Bury your valuable paperwork, money and wallet inside your carryon, locked if able to do so.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
This is my process:

Present NEXUS or Passport Card & BP to the TDC

After clearing, put NEXUS/PP Card, along with BP into my pocket

Take off belt and shoes, and put them into the plastic bin

Wallet stays in my back pocket

Cell phone goes into the middle compartment of my backpack, which is then locked until I clear the checkpoint

If I have anything confidential, or otherwise not related to the clerks, I keep them locked in the backpack.

If my bag is called for a bag check, I tell them to wait until I have the rest of my items.

I then follow them to the examination table, and closely watch as they touch my belongings.

I verify that everything has gone back in to the bag, and then leave the checkpoint

(if any attitude is receive from the clerks, I grab a complaint card, as well as the clerks ID # and name)
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:35 pm

We should all be adding: Turn on cell phone audio and/or video to document the entire process.

I've actually made a habit of doing this when renting a car. I do a video of my inspection with the car clearly show in the rental car spot, zooming in on any and all damage.

Never had to use it - but if I'm ever called on for damage that's not mine it'll be worth it in my time and money.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by smithokay
Any advice would be most appreciated.
Welcome to Flyertalk, smithokay, and great question. ^

This topic requires periodic updating as circumstances at the checkpoint evolve and I'm glad to have the opportunity to reboot the discussion. When I have a moment I'll try to post the link to an excellent thread from about four or five months ago on the precautions some of us take toward our securing our valuables (and ourselves!) during the screening process. In the meantime, I'm sure you'll get much valuable input.

----------
essxjay
TS/S moderator
Old Feb 2, 2011, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
This is my process:

Present NEXUS or Passport Card & BP to the TDC

After clearing, put NEXUS/PP Card, along with BP into my pocket

Take off belt and shoes, and put them into the plastic bin

Wallet stays in my back pocket

Cell phone goes into the middle compartment of my backpack, which is then locked until I clear the checkpoint

If I have anything confidential, or otherwise not related to the clerks, I keep them locked in the backpack.

If my bag is called for a bag check, I tell them to wait until I have the rest of my items.

I then follow them to the examination table, and closely watch as they touch my belongings.

I verify that everything has gone back in to the bag, and then leave the checkpoint

(if any attitude is receive from the clerks, I grab a complaint card, as well as the clerks ID # and name)
This is all good, and frankly is very similar to what I used to do in the pre-pat down era. I've always kept my wallet in my front pant pocket. However, following my first four pat downs, I now place it inside a carry-on bag before passing the bag through the X-Ray, in case I am selected to be rodgered. You see, when one opts out, during the pre-assault banter, I have been asked to remove everything from my pockets, and when I have done so a TSO has trundled off to the Xray to pass my wallet (and belt, in my case) through it. While this is bovine excrement of the first order, it results in me being far from my wallet, and it is out of visual sight for a short while. It's partially my fault, since I refuse to remove my belt and empty my pockets when I first ask them to select someone else, and then ultimately request a patdown.

Before I got smart and began putting it in my bag, I asked the TSO's taking my wallet to place it in a ziplock bag and seal it. Both TSO's (at different airports) thought that was a good idea, and said they would try to keep a supply of ziplock bags in the post-metal detector area, for such occasions, which I thought was rather nice. It would not only reduce the risk of someone taking something out of a wallet but also reduce the risk of claims of theft, real or imagined.

Anyway, all this to say, place your wallet deep in your carry-on so that if you are rodgered you don't have to risk parting with it during the pre-pat down foreplay. Oh, and taking one's belt off is also a good idea in this pat-down era.

Last edited by PhlyingRPh; Feb 2, 2011 at 2:47 pm
Old Feb 2, 2011, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
This is all good, and frankly was almost exactly what I used to do in the pre-pat down era (except that I'm not a back pocket kind of guy).

As a result of my first four pat downs, I now place my wallet inside a carry-on bag before passing the bag through the X-Ray, in case I am selected to be rodgered. The reason for this is that during the pre-assault banter, I have been asked to remove everything from my pockets, and when I have done so a TSO has trundled off to the Xray to pass my wallet (and belt, in my case) through it. While this is bovine excrement of the first order, it results in me being far from my wallet, and it is out of visual sight for a short while.

Before I got smart and began putting it in my bag, I asked the TSO's taking my wallet to place it in a ziplock bag and seal it. Both TSO's (at different airports) thought that was a good idea, and said they would try to keep a supply of ziplock bags in the post-metal detector area, for such occasions, which I thought was rather nice. It would not only reduce the risk of someone taking something out of a wallet but also reduce the risk of claims of theft, real or imagined.

Anyway, all this to say, place your wallet deep in your carry-on so that if you are rodgered you don't have to lose sight of it. Oh, and taking one's belt off is also a good idea in this pat-down era.
I've thought about this, and was ready to take everything out of my wallet, when I got my groping at SJC. When the clerk had me empty my pockets, he let me put the wallet in the bin, and did not take a second look at it. I realize this may not happen in the future, so I will modify this procedure for the future, especially if I have to opt-out.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I've thought about this, and was ready to take everything out of my wallet, when I got my groping at SJC. When the clerk had me empty my pockets, he let me put the wallet in the bin, and did not take a second look at it. I realize this may not happen in the future, so I will modify this procedure for the future, especially if I have to opt-out.
I see. I did not realize that was an option (probably screener discretion), and I must admit I was overly cock-sure of myself in that I had previously persuaded a TSO to select someone else on one occasion, and I was able to game the line at the conveyor on other occasions, so there was no way a TSO was going to actually select me (not!). If I am selected at ORD on Friday evening, I might leave a wallet in my pocket and make a stand in order to see if I can persuade a TSO to let me just put it away. Or, I suppose another option is to not declare it and when it is discovered in mid-battle to see if I can persuade them to let it slide. Worth a try in order to obtain a data point I suppose.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: US Chairman
Should you have a laptop, running a cable lock between your carry-on bag and laptop is a good idea.

I have seen this suggestion before and wondered if the laptop can somehow end up pulled by accident out of the bin. I am thinking in the line of the x-ray operating the belt by stopping and restarting or even reversing the belt. How about the way it comes down the belt?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:28 pm

Does everybody travel with a laptop? Those who do, have you bought software to encrypt the hard drive? I'm still remembering my sister's burglary where her desktops were stolen WITH hard drives inside. She really didn't care that much about the hardware, but the loss of data really scared and annoyed her.

http://www.zdnet.com/photos/how-to-e...-travel/209298
Old Feb 5, 2011, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by lakeozark
Ditch the cute little boarding pass/id neck case for starters. Put all of your valuables in your carry on - be sure to stow everything securely inside zippered sections of whatever kind of bag you choose to use. If you are concerned about theft, put some type of secure lock on the zippered sections. You can use a standard combination lock or a non-TSA lock with a key you keep on your person.

After you pass through the boarding pass/id checkpoint, put your id and boarding pass inside your carry on bag. Leave nothing out except shoes (typically on conveyor belt not in a bin), coat (folded as suggested above, stowed in a bin), and your carry-on. Should you have a laptop, running a cable lock between your carry-on bag and laptop is a good idea.

I put my shoes on the belt first, followed by my secured carry on bag, followed by my laptop, with the coat coming last.

I do not start my belongings on the belt until I have made eye contact with the TSA agent controlling the flow of passengers through the metal detector. When I get the "come in" signal, I shove the shoes and everything else through. I do not start walking until my coat is inside the conveyor belt.

I usually make it through the line before my shoes come out. I get my shoes on, bag collected, and laptop restowed before my coat comes through.

Never put anything in a bin or bucket as a loose item.

Hope this helps.
^^
Old Feb 5, 2011, 3:26 pm

You send your boarding pass and passport down the belt?

Originally Posted by goalie
You can also place you passport holder (with your BP and passport back in it as you no longer need it to go thru the WTMD) on your jacket before you fold it.
I can't think of anything I'd be less likely to separate myself from when flying than my boarding pass or my passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.