Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Organized resistance to WBI/invasive patdowns

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
TSA is ignoring/refusing FOIA requests for health & radiation testing of the scanners:

http://epic.org/privacy/body_scanner...Rad_Appeal.pdf

That should be mentioned on any fliers.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
TSA is ignoring/refusing FOIA requests for health & radiation testing of the scanners:

http://epic.org/privacy/body_scanner...Rad_Appeal.pdf

That should be mentioned on any fliers.
Seems to me if TSA has nothing to hide, there should be no problem responding.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by doober
Isn't that what they tell us every day?
Old Aug 31, 2010, 2:13 pm

The problem may be finding someone at TSA expert enough to be responsible for responding.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by newhaven
Good points.

#1: This design can target an educated audience (wiser)?

#2: Not all outcomes may take place. When printed, check a few boxes?

#3: The backscatter X-ray risks are clearer than the active millimeter wave risks. Is there more information?

For a tri-fold format, additional content is needed. Is double-sided printing doable?
This is great, but is does need to be a tri-fold.

I strongly believe that whatever is put out needs to be completely transparent and reveal what will happen if you opt-out, i.e., the possibility of an extremely invasive "enhanced" pat down - think prison inmate.

I fear that if we do not do that, some poor person will think he/she is just going to waltz through a pat down only to find said pat down bordered on sexual assault. We then will have lost one potential supporter.

It's a fine line to walk and I realize that it's difficult as we could scare people away from opting out because they are so put off regarding such a pat down. Therefore, we need language to suggest that neither WBI nor "enhanced" pat downs are necessary to maintain security in the air. I think emphasis should also be put on the ability to hide things in body cavities which are not image-able.

This is my first thought re language:

"Please realize that when you opt out, you will be subjected to a pat down. You might find that "enhanced" pat down humiliating and disturbing. The TSA screener might touch your genitals in a way that could seem to you to be sexual assault.

If you feel you or your child were touched inappropriately, please file a complaint with the Transportation Security Administration at:......................"
Old Aug 31, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
If you feel you or your child were touched inappropriately,
call for a police officer.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by IslandBased
The problem may be finding someone at TSA expert enough to be responsible for responding.
Or just finding someone responsible at TSA.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I like how a TSA agent is apparently embarassed by his small penis, so you guys put his name in a flier to hand out at airports.

Either you have permission, in which case he couldn't have been that embarrassed, or you don't, in which case you seem to be sacrificing someone else's privacy for your own.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311
I like how a TSA agent is apparently embarassed by his small penis, so you guys put his name in a flier to hand out at airports.

Either you have permission, in which case he couldn't have been that embarrassed, or you don't, in which case you seem to be sacrificing someone else's privacy for your own.
Not really anything he can do. It's not libel if you stick to the facts, which are that he was arrested for assault after his coworkers made fun of the small size of his penis subsequent to him going through a WBI.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by pmocek
We put up with these "URL shortening" services due to limitations of some technology, but in general, they break the Web. Please think carefully before using them. They are generally inappropriate for print.
Fair enough.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:01 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
The Press is getting a little less Pro-Scanner

while the scanners are undoubtedly powerful and able to locate dangerous materials and devices in an efficient manner, they also give airport officials the ability to essentially see underneath people’s clothing: the scans are detailed enough to identify a person’s gender. In addition, the beam is powerful enough to identify a passenger’s surgery scars, or to discern whether a woman is on her menstrual cycle or not.
We need more reviews like this.^^

San Diego Entertainer
http://www.sdentertainer.com/news/ts...ional-airport/
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Wimpie
We need more reviews like this.^^

San Diego Entertainer
http://www.sdentertainer.com/news/ts...ional-airport/
Good! The more attention the press gives and the more accurate details without TSA spin the better. They need to use words like genitals, penis, vagina, buttocks.

The people should be hit on the head with the facts until they wake up and do something.

In other news, how are the pamphlets coming? Can I help with anything? I'm willing to help write, edit, Paypal money for a domain registration or two. I've got some friends who have asked me to send them pamphlets and point them to websites so they can help spread the word as well.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raehl311

That incident was reported in the media.

Seems the cat is out of the bag.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Wimpie
I have the usage rights. I can send the email to you or you can contact the person yourself.
Here's the bulk of our conversation:

Same image with different image processing and size:

http://rupture.co.uk/Terminal%204.html

Incidentally, this is the image that epic.org used in their most recent law suit demanding suspension of the nude-o-scope program.
Thank you. Please PM me with a link to TIF file.

It might be better to post the link in this thread for others to use ,

A skeleton of the trifold format is no longer available. This flyer version should not be distributed. The front pane has a space for the larger image while the outside back and innermost panes still need more content.

If anyone has anything to add, please post with citations for consideration.

Last edited by newhaven; Sep 3, 2010 at 8:20 pm Reason: Removed link to old flyer version
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
I'm skeptical about the X-ray based backscatter scanners; I'd feel more comfortable with the millimeter-wave units.

However, I am of two minds wrt the patdowns. The previous patdowns they used to do in the United States were useless. They avoided many areas, and I could have had all sorts of things down the front of my pants that they would have never caught.

In some respects, I'd prefer a dignified patdown, with a screener and a witness, behind a private screen, than the put-your-arms-in-the-air scanner with maybe-or-maybe not a patdown afterwords.

Of all the things we do in the name of security (3oz of liquid, shoes on the belt, belt off, etc) the pat down is one of the few things that actually makes some sense. Just do it, do it properly, do it respectfully with privacy and a witness, and get it over with.

However, what they're doing now is disgusting. These pat downs have become punishment for declining to get X-ray'd. That's outrageous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.