Search

Switching to AT&T - BA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2000, 9:09 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM
Switching to AT&T - BA

Just FYI-- Switched to AT&T (British Airways) about a week ago, was told then to call back after Jan 3 to add my BA ff# to the AT&T account, as the "computers were being upgraded" I called today, and now was told to call back in 3 weeks, after which the upgrade would be complete and my ff# could be added. They said I'd get the sign-up bonus miles, which I rightly should, but it still worries me they won't take my number. I'm sure you all know how this one goes when the time comes to get the bonus miles, "Well you're already an xxx customer, we can't offer you the sign-up miles..." Fingers are crossed.
Old Jan 4, 2000, 1:54 pm

When I called about a week ago I was told call back again in February. They blamed it on BA upgrading computers.
Old Feb 12, 2000, 8:13 pm

Any news on this yet? AT&T still couldn't give me a firm date for when my bonus would be posted. I did receive monthly miles though per my last BA statement.
Old Feb 13, 2000, 7:57 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Well I called about two weeks ago and the rep that I spoke with actually took my BA number, one very small step in the right direction. If the bonus doesn't post with in the next month, I'm calling BA to get their help, they have an someone in-house who is the "contact" person for the AT&T program.
Old Feb 13, 2000, 8:08 am

I called yesterday to enroll and was told that the promotion is being "updated" and that nothing could be done for now, I would have to call again in 2-3 weeks. I wonder what's going on over there...

------------------
Old Feb 13, 2000, 9:47 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I had a similar problem.

I switched one of my phone lines to ATT to receive a 7500 Hilton HHonor point bonus. I felt this was a pretty good deal since they usually offer only 3000 points. After waiting two months, points posted...only 3000. I called ATT who told me it was Hiltons fault. Called Hilton who told me it was ATT's responsibility. Called ATT again and told them to fix it or I'm switching again. The rep seemed new and got a supervisor for me who said they usually type problems like this into a computer but she was going to skip this step and submitt a hand written form that gets results faster. I should see the additional 4500 points within 2 weeks. I sure hope so...

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: The Airline Mileage Workshop
Old Feb 13, 2000, 7:50 pm

For all of you who wonder whose responsibility it is for the points posting late or not at all... I believe it is ATT's. This seems to happen a lot, regardless of the partner. Last summer, after having ATT w/BA for almost six months, the monthly miles inexplicably stopped. This occurred just before my account was due for the 1250-mile bonus for using ATT for six months. It took me three more months, and probably a dozen calls, to have the problem fixed. I was also promised an additional 1250 BA miles for the trouble (which of course were never posted). This experience made even more eager to switch to MCI (well... that, and the 25K mile bonus). I guess I shouldn't say it too loud (don't want to jinx myself), but MCI has been fairly decent so far...
Old Feb 24, 2000, 6:39 pm

Programs: United 1P
I, too, have had really bad luck with AT&T posting miles. Lots of phone calls, letters, complaints, etc. Sometimes I simply give up and go back to MCI who are very efficient and courteous. However, once your miles get out of the AT&T system, then BA is very fast in posting them.

The way I see it, AT&T is still not very serious about the frequent flier market. They also don't seem very serious to keep my $100+/month phone bill http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif
Old Feb 26, 2000, 8:34 am

Programs: AA-2MM Lifetime Platinum
I think the strategy of ATT is to string you out as long as possible before (or if ever) giving you the promised miles. Most people are reluctant to switch to another long distance company before they get the bonus miles. The longer ATT makes you wait, the more phone revenue they get from you. After reading the numerous threads with Starwood, Marriott and BA, it seems ATT has developed a horrible track record of giving bonus miles as promised. How can a reputable company like ATT get away with this nonsense?
Old Feb 26, 2000, 8:42 am
Original Member
Original Poster

I've emailed BA Exec Club about this, and as soon as I hear a response, I'll let you know.
Old Feb 29, 2000, 11:22 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Looks like my points were posted, after emailing BA Exec Club. They're not showing up on my online statement, but according to the email below, they've been posted.

BA Exec Club response:

Dear Mr. Burkey,

Thank you for your email. I apologize for the delay in our response.

I am happy to inform you that our records indicate that AT&T miles posted to your account on February 19, 2000. Unfortunately, for security reasons, I am unable to provide details of your miles via email. However, you may contact Member Services at 1-800-955-2748 or refer to your next statement to verify the mileage.

Mr. Burkey, I apologize for any delays you experienced regarding the posting of your AT&T miles. If you have any additional questions regarding your membership, please do not hesitate to contact us again, via email or at 1-800-955-2748. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Sulynn
Customer Service Representative
Executive Club, US

Old Mar 22, 2000, 1:20 pm

Wow, I've never experienced such bad customer service!

I signed up with ATT in Nov. 99 and left in Dec. 99. Never got the 5K bonus miles on BA I was promised.

Called in Jan - oh, they're coming they said. Called today - you will get them in June they said...Y2K problems. Totally ATT's fault.

JUNE?! I said. Let me speak with supervisor.

Same story. Let me speak with your supervisor...same story. Wouldn't give me FCC's address to complain to (I got it elsewhere now).

So, I'm writing to Basking Ridge (ATT HQ) and FCC. I'm including a print out of this discussion forum as proof that this is legit.

Oh, BTW, last supervisor said I wasn't even entitled to the miles since I wasn't with ATT for 6 months...this wasn't what I was told. Anyone else have experience in this 6 months realm?

Carberry
Old Mar 22, 2000, 5:55 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

An update-----> no miles have posted, as you might have guessed. Sulynn, from BA Exec Club, as mistaken, the mileage she was referring to in the above letter, was from 1999, not 2000. She was sorry for the mistake. Now, some two weeks after getting that straightened out, she has not gotten back to me. I also called AT&T, who said they'd leave the info for the supervisor to "put it through manually" and that I'd get a call back to confirm it. Of course, no call back, no mileage, nada.

As for the six month thing, that is new to me. It's suspose to be 5k after 30 days, 1250 miles after six months. And of course the monthly mileage from LD usage (which by the way, isn't posting either)
Old Apr 14, 2000, 9:32 pm

In case anyone is interested, I have attached my letter to ATT and the FCC regarding my missing 5K bonus points...

April 14, 2000

Executive Complaint Office
Office of the Chairman
ATT
295 North Maple
Basking Ridge, NJ 07920

Re: Breach of Residential LD Agreement for British Airways® Bonus and Earned Points

Dear Complaint Administrator:

I signed up with ATT for residential long distance in November 1999 under the ATT/British Airways promotion. Under the promotion, I was promised 5000 British Airways Executive Club points for signing up with ATT, 5 points per dollar spent, and 1250 additional miles after six months with ATT.

I did not receive the miles. Furthermore, when I called ATT in mid March to enquire about crediting my miles, I was told that I was not entitled to miles because I was not an ATT customer for 6 months; however, when I signed with ATT, I was told there was no minimum period during which I was required to remain an ATT customer.

When I requested an investigation, the representative’s supervisor – “Ms. Jamie” in the Senton, MO center - stated that an investigation would take 4 months due to a Y2K error in ATT’s system and the closure of a processing facility. This is not an acceptable excuse from a company that claims to be a leading technology provider.

I am entitled to 5000 BA Executive Club points plus 5 points per dollar spent. It is an egregious violation of both US law and consumer rights to promise a bonus in exchange for getting my business and then not delivering on the promise.

I request that ATT immediately fulfill the obligation ATT made with me in November by crediting my BA Executive Club account # xxxxxxxxx with 5000 points plus the 5 points-per-dollar earned on LD charges.

I may be reached at (xxx) xxx-xxxx if you wish to further discuss this matter. I am forwarding a copy of this letter to the FCC to register with the appropriate authorities this beach of contract.

Sincerely,

"Carberry"

cc: FCC Enforcement Division
Common Carrier Bureau – Consumer Protection Branch
Mail Stop 1600 A2
Washington DC 20554
Old Apr 17, 2000, 9:42 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I switched to AT&T last fall for the BA promotion. After getting nothing for months, in March I got the 1250 stay-with-us-for-6-months bonus and the 5 miles per $ for a few monthly bills. No 5000
mile signup bonus. I called BA, and they sent me to AT&T. AT&T said it had to be taken care of in "Research" and would take about 11 weeks. What do you suppose they're researching?

[This message has been edited by rfrost (edited 04-17-2000).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.