Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Porter Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2007, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Sebring
Has AC advertised its new product? And can you honestly say it is charging more for its J product to reflect a new product. I see a J product that is being heavily discounted, not marked up. The only people I know who are buying that product are people specifically booking a 777. If they get an equipment switch, I would expect them to be unhappy. Anyone else flying in J is hoping to get a better product than they paid for, i.e. an upgraded aircraft.
It's advertised on it's website and it's been "product placed" in enRoute.

And there is a huge difference when you have new aircraft coming on-line vs. refurbishing an old one. Especially since your "sister" company is doing the work and is doing a rather lousy job at that. Porter wasn't going to introduce Halifax just yet, but since AC and their buddies over at CO's cried foul over YTZ access and the resulting uncertainty and delays there was a change of plans and thus Halifax was born. Porter never advertised the new routes nor did they take future reservations unlike AC.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 8:59 am

Halifax Save 20%

Halifax SAVE 20% Book by Thursday, September 27

Adding 3 daily round-trip flights to Halifax starting December 17 through January 6, 2008.

$160* Toronto City Centre to Halifax (Dec 17 to Jan 6)

$184* Ottawa to Halifax (Dec 17 to Jan 6)

use promo code PROMOPD

*Starting December 17 through January 6, 2008. We are adding to our
weekend service with 3 daily round-trip flights to Halifax. Book by
September 27, 2007 . Using promo code PROMOPD. Travel between
December 17, 2007 and January 6, 2008. Promo code is subject to
limited availability in Firm class and may not be available on all flights.
Quoted Fares are one-way and do not include taxes, fees and surcharges.
Offer valid on new bookings only.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 9:10 am

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Originally Posted by imverge
It's advertised on it's website and it's been "product placed" in enRoute.
"on some aircraft". Most Canadians presumably know the definition of "some".

Porter never advertised the new routes nor did they take future reservations unlike AC.
Please do enlighten us as to where AC has taken reservations for a particular IFE system from passengers?

Simon
Old Sep 24, 2007, 9:34 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Originally Posted by imverge
[FONT="Century Gothic"]Halifax SAVE 20% Book by Thursday, September 27

Adding 3 daily round-trip flights to Halifax starting December 17 through January 6, 2008.

$160* Toronto City Centre to Halifax (Dec 17 to Jan 6)

$184* Ottawa to Halifax (Dec 17 to Jan 6)

use promo code PROMOPD

FONT]
I am sure AC will undercut them. Say, $129 or 139 YYZ-YHZ. I saw AC offer these prices in the past.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 9:54 am

Programs: Haven't been flying for a while... :(
Originally Posted by Tangoer
I am sure AC will undercut them. Say, $129 or 139 YYZ-YHZ. I saw AC offer these prices in the past.
If AC does undercut Porter because the latter initiated a sale, I the customer am happy, regardless of whom I choose to give my money. And frankly, such a move would acknowledge that Porter is more than just an annoying gnat to Air Canada.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by lavalyn
If AC does undercut Porter because the latter initiated a sale, I the customer am happy, regardless of whom I choose to give my money. And frankly, such a move would acknowledge that Porter is more than just an annoying gnat to Air Canada.
I agree. ^

When WS offered a $17 fare to Montreal I jumped on it. And a few month's ago AC had an $11 fare I booked several flight's as-well.

As a consumer I go for the best value keeping in mind: time, comfort, convenience and price when making my plans.

Watch for more falling fares to The US when PORTER launches flights in 2008 ^
Old Sep 24, 2007, 10:46 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by Simon
How many people, outside of FF, are likely to even know about the XM project? I would say "FEW", given the general looks of amazement when passengers board a newly refurbished plane, and the general ignorance of such things.

And anyone who is a FF does, or certainly should, know that equipment switches happen all the time, and that the program has taken much longer than hoped.

Simon

to you point, other than people here who will never fly PD, I don't know anyone who has complained about PD's delay in launching cross border service.

I have no disagreement with your post, just not sure what point you are trying to make. AC made several announcements about their new product, obviously they made those announcements public in an attempt to sell more tickets. (one would assume anyways but you can't always be sure) It still hasn't happened other than 7 aircraft so yes, I would say they are setting an expectation they haven't met. We all know this it has been debated to death.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by stinger
to you point, other than people here who will never fly PD, I don't know anyone who has complained about PD's delay in launching cross border service.

I have no disagreement with your post, just not sure what point you are trying to make. AC made several announcements about their new product, obviously they made those announcements public in an attempt to sell more tickets. (one would assume anyways but you can't always be sure) It still hasn't happened other than 7 aircraft so yes, I would say they are setting an expectation they haven't met. We all know this it has been debated to death.
Really, what pronouncements were that? That "we will update the 767-300s?" They didn't come out and say that there was a J suite on every aircraft. The fact that the federal government says all television signals will convert to HDTV at some point, and that HDTV sets are available, isn't making me run out and buy an HDTV.

I can't remember Air Canada ever advertising its J suite, unlike WS which did advertise LiveTV before every 737 had it.

There is, to a certain extent, a promissary aspect to everything airlines do, and consumers have a responsibility to at least allocate 1% of their gray matter to caveat emptor. When Porter sells the Island Airport, it promises a significant network. The implication is that you should support them now, even if that means splitting your short haul travel among 2-3 airlines, because eventually we will take you to enough major cities to make it worth your while. When it sells a pass, it is, in effect, promising to be around for as long as that pass is valid. When AC introduces a J suite, it is saying, quite clearly, that this is the future, but it has never said that this product is everywhere. In fact, when the 330s are finally done to complete the XM program, there will still likely be a few 767s around in some kind of a domestic or all-Y configuration. They just won't be on scheduled year round services, but it doesn't mean that there won't be an asterix that you should check out if you expect a J suite for a seasonal flight to Hawaii or Dublin.

A lot of carriers have mixed products in their fleet, including CX, SQ and EK, but that doesn't stop them from advertising their very best product. You just have to keep your ears and eyes open to make sure you don't get on a five hour regional flight with the same expectations as you would a 14-hour flight on their newest aircraft.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:30 am

"on some aircraft". Most Canadians presumably know the definition of "some".

Please do enlighten us as to where AC has taken reservations for a particular IFE system from passengers?

Simon
Wow are you telling me that AC even stating "some aircraft" did have the new J product, coupled with their FALSE time-line (which they advertised) in the completion of the XM project and you have people thinking that by XX date, planes will be done, so I will get the new J product...that combination didn't = some reservations for future bookings?

AC meaning of "some aircraft" = a lousy job that has seen the completion of 7 planes in a span of 18 months.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 2:18 pm

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by Sebring
Really, what pronouncements were that? That "we will update the 767-300s?" They didn't come out and say that there was a J suite on every aircraft. The fact that the federal government says all television signals will convert to HDTV at some point, and that HDTV sets are available, isn't making me run out and buy an HDTV.

I can't remember Air Canada ever advertising its J suite, unlike WS which did advertise LiveTV before every 737 had it.

There is, to a certain extent, a promissary aspect to everything airlines do, and consumers have a responsibility to at least allocate 1% of their gray matter to caveat emptor. When Porter sells the Island Airport, it promises a significant network. The implication is that you should support them now, even if that means splitting your short haul travel among 2-3 airlines, because eventually we will take you to enough major cities to make it worth your while. When it sells a pass, it is, in effect, promising to be around for as long as that pass is valid. When AC introduces a J suite, it is saying, quite clearly, that this is the future, but it has never said that this product is everywhere. In fact, when the 330s are finally done to complete the XM program, there will still likely be a few 767s around in some kind of a domestic or all-Y configuration. They just won't be on scheduled year round services, but it doesn't mean that there won't be an asterix that you should check out if you expect a J suite for a seasonal flight to Hawaii or Dublin.

A lot of carriers have mixed products in their fleet, including CX, SQ and EK, but that doesn't stop them from advertising their very best product. You just have to keep your ears and eyes open to make sure you don't get on a five hour regional flight with the same expectations as you would a 14-hour flight on their newest aircraft.
Did Air Canada ever state that they would have all their long haul fleet completed by a certain date? I believe we all know the answer to that question. Did they sell tickets in advance of those dates, when they stated the would be completed by? I believe we know the answer to that one as well.

Therefore, don't jump all over Deluce for something he couldn't control anymore. AC blames Transport Canada, Deluce blames DOT, AC and CO for their complaints.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 3:00 pm

Flying 8 flights a day.

Two things will kill a new business: undercapitalization and massive uncontrolled growth.

WS, like them or not, has succeeded by adding one route, one frequency at a time.

This sounds like a terrible idea.
[PROFANITY REMOVED BY THE MODERATOR]

The first thing that can kill a new business faster than anything else, is not understanding your customer and what they expect and what makes them buy. Their customers expect high frequencies on that route.

Are you seriously suggesting that when WS started up with three planes and three destinations from the YYC hub back in 96 aiming at the business customer what they didn't offer somewhat frequent service that those travellers expected? Sure once you have a base in place it's safer to build in incremental steps but you have to have the base first.

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 25, 2007 at 7:59 pm
Old Sep 24, 2007, 5:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
Originally Posted by Bytepusher
[QUOTE of now-removed profanity removed by the moderator]

The first thing that can kill a new business faster than anything else, is not understanding your customer and what they expect and what makes them buy. Their customers expect high frequencies on that route.
Look at Harmony. One of the problems it had was scattershot scheduling. From doing well on Hawaii/South routes, it then went to Toronto, NYC, and other places on a very limited schedule. Once per day to YYZ doesn't cut it for business travellers, and these are the people most likely to buy your more expensive business cabin.

Another (hopefully successful) example is Virgin US - it has a limited number of airports, but a reasonable frequency. It concentrated on transcontinental flights plus Vegas (it is partially owned by Branson, so Vegas is almost required to offset his personality).

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 25, 2007 at 7:59 pm
Old Sep 25, 2007, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by stinger
[QUOTE of now-removed off-topic post deleted by the moderator
I guess all the AC employee's and shareholders are shaking in their boots after-all. Well they all said Porter wouldn't survive this long. they were wrong about that and they were wrong to move this thread too.

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 25, 2007 at 8:02 pm
Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:53 pm

Porter Fall Sale Save 20%

Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal and Halifax.
Fall into winter and SAVE 20%
Porter. Flying Refined.

Fall into winter and SAVE 20%
Book by Thursday, October 4.

$79* Ottawa to Toronto City Centre 10 times daily
$79* Montréal to Toronto City Centre 9 times daily
$109* Toronto City Centre to Halifax weekend service
$119* Ottawa to Halifax weekend service

use promo code PROMOPD

*Using promo-code PROMOPD. Book by October 4, 2007.
Travel between November 1 and December 14, 2007.
Discount is subject to availability and might not be
available on all flights. For new bookings only.

Book online or call 1-888-619-8622
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
SOT - I need to go to Chicago in a couple of weeks. Lowest fare on AC.com was $527. BUF-ORD was $196 on United.ca. Guess who got my business.

I can't wait for Porter to add Chicago to its US network to bring some competition to this route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.