FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Porter Airlines
Thread: Porter Airlines
View Single Post
Old Sep 24, 2007, 2:18 pm
stinger

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by Sebring
Really, what pronouncements were that? That "we will update the 767-300s?" They didn't come out and say that there was a J suite on every aircraft. The fact that the federal government says all television signals will convert to HDTV at some point, and that HDTV sets are available, isn't making me run out and buy an HDTV.

I can't remember Air Canada ever advertising its J suite, unlike WS which did advertise LiveTV before every 737 had it.

There is, to a certain extent, a promissary aspect to everything airlines do, and consumers have a responsibility to at least allocate 1% of their gray matter to caveat emptor. When Porter sells the Island Airport, it promises a significant network. The implication is that you should support them now, even if that means splitting your short haul travel among 2-3 airlines, because eventually we will take you to enough major cities to make it worth your while. When it sells a pass, it is, in effect, promising to be around for as long as that pass is valid. When AC introduces a J suite, it is saying, quite clearly, that this is the future, but it has never said that this product is everywhere. In fact, when the 330s are finally done to complete the XM program, there will still likely be a few 767s around in some kind of a domestic or all-Y configuration. They just won't be on scheduled year round services, but it doesn't mean that there won't be an asterix that you should check out if you expect a J suite for a seasonal flight to Hawaii or Dublin.

A lot of carriers have mixed products in their fleet, including CX, SQ and EK, but that doesn't stop them from advertising their very best product. You just have to keep your ears and eyes open to make sure you don't get on a five hour regional flight with the same expectations as you would a 14-hour flight on their newest aircraft.
Did Air Canada ever state that they would have all their long haul fleet completed by a certain date? I believe we all know the answer to that question. Did they sell tickets in advance of those dates, when they stated the would be completed by? I believe we know the answer to that one as well.

Therefore, don't jump all over Deluce for something he couldn't control anymore. AC blames Transport Canada, Deluce blames DOT, AC and CO for their complaints.