Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

FLAIR airlines- thoughts on airline - hard and soft product

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2024, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

Any recent flights by anyone?- any experiences?

We are thinking of going YYZ-PVR in May - fares somewhat cheaper than Westjet, and much cheaper than AC or US legacy carriers.'
But is it worth it flying on the airline?
Will the airline still be in business in May- in view of CRA tax bill for Flair for CAD$67 million.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Well, all the others will probably jack up fares as soon as F8 folds. The country needs to get back to a healthy duopoly.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 12:13 am

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII

We are thinking of going YYZ-PVR in May - fares somewhat cheaper than Westjet, and much cheaper than AC or US legacy carriers.'
Will the airline still be in business in May- in view of CRA tax bill for Flair for CAD$67 million.
I love how, on the one hand, the federal government insists that there isn't enough competition in the grocery industry and the minister has to beg foreign retailers to come to Canada. Yet on the other, the domestic airline industry is controlled by even fewer big players than food retailing, and the feds seem to be doing their utmost to drive the little guys out of business.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:02 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Flew them 3 time in the past month, last minute bookings from YEG to Vancouver. Not exactly low cost T-72 hrs, but better than WS or AC, even with Aeroplan points.

As long as your flight is first of the day, you're likely to be okay one-time wise. An afternoon or evening flight is quite likely to be delayed.

Planea are new, but no frills. Don't think the seats recline. Not much of service to speak of but crew are pleasant. Last week one of the male FAs wore a sleeveless shirt, arms covered with tattoos. I'm not a prude but found it distasteful. Decent chance he gets away with it on some "cultural" diversity and inclusion claim.

​​​​​​One (currently enraging for me) recent change they have made is NOT to issue you a boarding pass, even if you check in online (doing so at airport costs $25). If you purchase luggage, then you do get to print out a boarding pass. If you do not, to have to line up and present yourself at the check-in counter (hopefully free) to ensure you have the right luggage. I guess they don't want to deal with not-paid-for rollaboards at the gate, but what the heck OLCI system is that? I have 5 hours in YVR today (in and out). This will necessitate me arriving at the airport nearly an hour earlier than otherwise, in order to prove that I am not a mоrоn (only traveling with a backpack) and understand their luggage policy, or else they won't issue me a BP.

Of course, this being an afternoon flight it will probably be delayed, so there's a good 4-5 wasted hours at YVR and their overcrowded Plaza Premium lounge
​​​​​​
I will avoid them even more now.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:08 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat

Oh, I would NEVER fly with them to an out-of-the-way destination like PVR, especially if frequency is once/twice a week (I know your route is a few days a week but still). If your return flight gets cancelled good luck getting home. Or if the outbound does - bye bye vacation and money you paid for hotel. Just don't do it.

​​​​​​​
Old Mar 3, 2024, 7:20 am

I flew flair a dozen times since their inception. My most recent flight was two weeks ago. Most of my flights with them were short hops across the rockies from YYC to YVR and back.

They have gotten better operationally but still quite prone to delays which is a result of high airplane utilization, relatively short turnaround times and no backup planes available.

Flair would now send email/text messages ahead of time to let you know if flight will be delayed as well as automatically provide you with meal vouchers when eligible although dollar amount is laughably small ($7).

I never had my flight cancelled with them but about half of my flights with them were indeed delayed so I always budget for a possible delay time wise when I fly with them.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:16 pm

Flair Moves Flights to Sun Destinations; One Expert Calls it a Smart Move

Originally Posted by openjaw.com
The Globe and Mail says Flair Airlines has sliced its spring schedule by more than 600 flights, but a prominent Canadian expert says the moves are "common sense." Flair has eliminated a number of flights out of YYZ, YYC, YOW and YEG for March, April and May, the Globe said, all while adding flights to Florida, Mexico and other resort destinations, including LAS.

It’s actually a smart move, said Robert Kokonis, an aviation consultant based in Toronto.

System-wide, Flair flights are down 8% year over year. But capacity is up 4% and the average stage length of a flight is up 13.6%, Kokonis told Open Jaw.

“They’re allocating aircraft to where customers want to travel,” he said. “It’s just common sense in my opinion. More people want to fly from Toronto to Cancun in March than want to fly Toronto to Charlottetown.”

Kokonis, president of AirTrav Inc., said Flair has 19 airplanes in its fleet, the same as a year ago.

The Edmonton-based airline has 39 less flights out of YYZ than it did a year ago, but available seat miles are up more than 4%.

“They’re actually busier than they were a year ago,” he said.

By adding more long-haul flights, Flair is taking airplanes out of service for longer periods. And that means shorter-haul flights need to be cut.

“Their flight schedule was posted last year,” he said. “These are really tweaks to the schedule.”

Kokonis said Flair’s flights to CUN are up 435%, while flights to PVR are up 136%.

The Globe said the changes for Flair come at a time when the company is trying to pay back $67 million in federal taxes. Flair also has an issue with a payment-processing company, Peoples Group, which is said to be withholding $25-million in transfers to the airline, The Globe stated.

McGill University aviation expert John Gradek told CTV News that Flair is “chasing rainbows” by moving flights to sun destinations where they can maybe make more money.

“It’s a sign of desperation as far as I’m concerned,” he said. “They’re chasing opportunities that are short-term opportunities in nature. They’re going to fly to the sun markets for 10 weeks and then take the airplanes and fly them someplace else.”
Source: https://openjaw.com/newsroom/airline...-a-smart-move/
Old Mar 23, 2024, 6:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Booked with them twice. One cancellation, one lengthy delay. If you've got time to spare book with Flair.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 5:21 pm

Avoid! After yesterday’s announcement of flight cuts and today’s 12 hours and counting website outage why roll the dice with your holiday?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:10 am

Programs: LH Sen
Deadman walking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.