Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

Aeromexico - How do I get them to refund ticket for cancelled flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeromexico - How do I get them to refund ticket for cancelled flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2021, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by persh
I did everything in this forum and Capital One rebilled. So it looks like I lost this dispute? The original tickets were bought for a trip to Peru back in April.
Any help on next steps would be awesome.
Go to small claim courts.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by HanDaniel
Hi there,

I have just received an email from the Civil Aviation Authority that despite several reminders regarding our refund, there is no response from Aeromexico. We are planning to file a court case, however, the only information we lack at the moment is the address of the company. Preferably a UK address? Does anyone know that?

Our story: We booked our flights to Cancun for April 2020 from London, they agreed to offer a voucher, but we filed a complaint to the Civil Aviation Authority. the CAA sent us the mail after 10 weeks that there's no response from Aeromexico.

I would really appreciate that.
Go to small claims court, really easy using MCOL in the UK. You should sue them according to the information here: https://find-and-update.company-info...mpany/BR016123.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Crastonts
Go to small claims court, really easy using MCOL in the UK. You should sue them according to the information here: https://find-and-update.company-info...mpany/BR016123.
Isn't there an automatic stay in effect due to the bankruptcy?
Old Jan 19, 2021, 2:10 pm

Thank you! Is this the address that they are registered in the UK? Unfortunately, we have tried the path of charge back, the Halifax was not very helpful, even though tickets were bought using a credit card.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Often1
Isn't there an automatic stay in effect due to the bankruptcy?
There would be an automatic stay in the USA. No idea what ancillary proceedings might be going on in the rest of the world.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 2:21 pm
Suspended

I am fairly but not absolutely certain that the UK is one of them. Thus, my question to the suggestion of MCOL.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 4:47 pm

Thank you! Is this the address that they are registered in the UK? Unfortunately, we have tried the path of charge back, the Halifax was not very helpful, even though tickets were bought using a credit card.
Correct, you can sue them using that address. That said, as other people point out, an interesting battle might ensue if Aeromexico's lawyers try to argue that the US Court has in rem universal jurisdiction, and if you lose you'd need to be prepared to go all the way to the High Court or the Appeals Court (i.e. be prepared to appeal if you lose at the Small Claims Court).

Therefore, I think you should issue Halifax with a statutory demand for a reimbursement under Section 75 of the Credit Card Act, and not a chargeback (be sure to explicitly utter the words "Section 75"). If they ignore you, ask for a letter of deadlock and present a formal complaint at the Financial Ombudsman against Halifax. As tedious as it sounds, it might be easier than going the legal route.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 2:08 am
Suspended

I am just curious how much your AM ticket is for this ticket from UK to Cancun?

Last edited by Mama; Jan 24, 2021 at 10:24 am
Old Jan 22, 2021, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Correct, you can sue them using that address. That said, as other people point out, an interesting battle might ensue if Aeromexico's lawyers try to argue that the US Court has in rem universal jurisdiction, and if you lose you'd need to be prepared to go all the way to the High Court or the Appeals Court (i.e. be prepared to appeal if you lose at the Small Claims Court).

Therefore, I think you should issue Halifax with a statutory demand for a reimbursement under Section 75 of the Credit Card Act, and not a chargeback (be sure to explicitly utter the words "Section 75"). If they ignore you, ask for a letter of deadlock and present a formal complaint at the Financial Ombudsman against Halifax. As tedious as it sounds, it might be easier than going the legal route.
The question really is whether there were ancillary proceedings filed in a given jurisdiction, thus obviating the broader issues. Those proceedings do not necessarily mean that one can never collect, just that timing may be affected and, as others note, depending on when you purchased, how much you will see.

All a good reason to always pay with a credit card.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 10:56 am

We filed a court case against Aeromexico, the court gave the airline I think plenty of time to respond. They have not replied to the court in the time bracket. So now, the airline is legally obliged to refund us, however, we have no idea whether the airline will ever respond to anything. Next week is the deadline, I am really interested to see what will happen
Old Feb 18, 2021, 11:07 am

We filed a court case against Aeromexico, the court gave the airline I think plenty of time to respond. They have not replied to the court in the time bracket. So now, the airline is legally obliged to refund us, however, we have no idea whether the airline will ever respond to anything. Next week is the deadline, I am really interested to see what will happen
Which country is this?

And if this is the USA, when did you buy your tickets? After or before the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy declaration?
Old Feb 18, 2021, 11:19 am
Suspended

Which country is this?

And if this is the USA, when did you buy your tickets? After or before the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy declaration?
If this was the US and the tickets were purchased pre-filing, it is inconceiveable that AM would not have notified the court of the stay and that would have been communicated to HanDaniel. Thus, it's either not US or there is no stay affecting this case.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 11:28 am

My bad -- I completely forgot you said this was in the UK.

The second after they fail to respond (within the time frame offered by the court), go to MCOL and request a default judgement.

Afterwards, get some High Court Enforcement Officers (NOT County Bailiffs) and enforce the judgement.

Please keep us posted.
angra likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 5:57 am

Hey! Sorry for the late reply. Yes, it is in the UK. Will keep you guys updated for sure!
Old Mar 14, 2021, 11:13 am

Hey! Sorry for the late reply. Yes, it is in the UK. Will keep you guys updated for sure!
Hey there. Do you have any updates on this?

I checked the Registry Trust and AM is starting to get some CCJs, but they are not honoring them (shocking I know). Did you have luck getting your CCJ and enforcing it with HCEOs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.