Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

Aeromexico - How do I get them to refund ticket for cancelled flight

Aeromexico - How do I get them to refund ticket for cancelled flight

Old Apr 7, 20, 8:46 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Programs: Aeromexico
Posts: 1
Aeromexico - How do I get them to refund ticket for cancelled flight

We had flights booked for this week and Aeromexico cancelled them. We received emails to confirm this. They are still only offering a voucher but the one year window may not work for us. How do we get them to issue us a refund. Thanks. Steve
Steveooooo36 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 20, 9:01 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Smyrna, GA, USA
Programs: DL DM 1MM
Posts: 1,654
They're not going to budge. You're going to have to dispute with your credit card and/or sue them.
angra is offline  
Old Apr 9, 20, 9:41 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Posts: 2,575
Also file a DOT complaint.
angra likes this.
tkelvin69 is offline  
Old Apr 9, 20, 12:25 pm
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,270
You need to document that you sought and were denied a refund (or that you sought and that AM denied).

US card issuers absolutely have this situation in hand. If properly documented, you may well see a temporary credit to your card account within a day or two and a permanent credit in due course. Be sure to have ready or to provide:
1. E-ticket receipt.
2. Proof that AM cancelled.
3. Proof that you asked for a refund.
4. Either a writtn denial or your documentation of a denial or no answer from AM.

DOT expects refunds to be initiated within 7 days, so you can start your chargeback on day 8 if no joy.

Last edited by Often1; Apr 9, 20 at 12:30 pm
Often1 is offline  
Old Apr 9, 20, 12:38 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Smyrna, GA, USA
Programs: DL DM 1MM
Posts: 1,654
@Often1 are you seeing reports of positively concluded disputes with AM? I opened disputes with AM and SQ on the same day under the same circumstances, about 3 weeks ago. SQ has been resolved in my favor, but AM is still under investigation. I presume this means that AM is fighting.

Of course I expect this to go in my favor, but I never personally treat the money as back in hand until the dispute is resolved. So, I am wondering how others are faring or if there is any knowledge we can extract by others' outcomes/progress.
angra is offline  
Old Apr 9, 20, 3:40 pm
  #6  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,270
Originally Posted by angra View Post
@Often1 are you seeing reports of positively concluded disputes with AM? I opened disputes with AM and SQ on the same day under the same circumstances, about 3 weeks ago. SQ has been resolved in my favor, but AM is still under investigation. I presume this means that AM is fighting.

Of course I expect this to go in my favor, but I never personally treat the money as back in hand until the dispute is resolved. So, I am wondering how others are faring or if there is any knowledge we can extract by others' outcomes/progress.
It all depends on your card issuer. There are reports here that Amex US is handling disputes in 1-2 days if they are properly documented as noted above.

I would call your card issuer and find out whether it has what it needs from you. If AM is indeed contesting the chargeback and presuming that your tickets include at least a flight to or from the US, I would file a DOT complaint as well. That won't speed up your chargeback, but it is important for DOT to know which carriers are not complying with the 2011 rules and its recent Warning Letter.
Often1 is offline  
Old Apr 9, 20, 4:03 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Smyrna, GA, USA
Programs: DL DM 1MM
Posts: 1,654
Thanks - same US Amex card on both disputes. Unfortunately, the flight did not involve the US - it was YYZ-MEX-NRT. CTA has no interest in this issue in general, and I have not had much luck finding info out of Japan on this topic.
angra is offline  
Old Apr 10, 20, 8:41 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Posts: 2,575
Originally Posted by Steveooooo36 View Post
We had flights booked for this week and Aeromexico cancelled them. We received emails to confirm this. They are still only offering a voucher but the one year window may not work for us. How do we get them to issue us a refund. Thanks. Steve
Having a similar problem where they cancelled my return from Peru. Denying a partial refund and offering a voucher only. I have it documented in email that I am specifically asking for x amount due from the unused amount in the fare calc line of the ticket (if you can access the ticket by clicking on the link you'll see the fare calc). I've disputed the charge with Chase and have received temporary credit. Saga continues ...
tkelvin69 is offline  
Old Apr 10, 20, 12:08 pm
  #9  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,270
The temporary credit will work just fine. It would take AM documenting that the flight is not cancelled or that you misread the fare line. That is fruitless work for AM. Thus, AM will almost certainly do nothing and your temporary credit will eventually be reversed and issued as a permanent credit.
PointsPanda likes this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Apr 13, 20, 3:29 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: LHR
Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Posts: 804
Similar situation here but as a UK resident. Paid for a Premier Class ticket MEX - HAV - MEX. This e-ticket is endorsed with:

REF/CHG/CXL FREE OF CHARGE/NONEND
Not flying until 9 May but all AM flights to HAV have been cancelled until 31 April and I expect this will be done for May soon. Have emailed AM and they flat out refuse to refund me. I escalated as their website still states Premier Class tickets are refundable, which is not the case.

I paid with a debit card, so cannot do a charge back and booked with AM direct. Looks like I'll have to claim through travel insurance as AM don't seem to be budging on this, which I think it entirely immoral given they are still selling these tickets as refundable.
angra likes this.
Jase76 is offline  
Old Apr 13, 20, 6:23 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Smyrna, GA, USA
Programs: DL DM 1MM
Posts: 1,654
AM has devolved into open banditry at this point
angra is offline  
Old Apr 13, 20, 10:27 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: TOL
Posts: 169
Try chatting with or emailing PROFECO if AM won't refund a ticket which is clearly refundable.
[email protected]
Tel&eacutefono del Consumidor en L&iacutenea
You can call them as well (52-55-5625-6700, ext 1317) but I would recommend communicating in writing.
Jase76 likes this.
jjbiv is offline  
Old Apr 14, 20, 1:46 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: LHR
Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Posts: 804
Originally Posted by jjbiv View Post
Try chatting with or emailing PROFECO if AM won't refund a ticket which is clearly refundable.
[email protected]
Tel&eacutefono del Consumidor en L&iacutenea
You can call them as well (52-55-5625-6700, ext 1317) but I would recommend communicating in writing.
Many thanks, this is something I was looking for. I have made a complaint and will see how it goes
Jase76 is offline  
Old Apr 14, 20, 9:44 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Smyrna, GA, USA
Programs: DL DM 1MM
Posts: 1,654
jjbiv - have you found that the email point of contact for Profeco is OK with submissions in English?

I had an online chat with Profeco yesterday and they seem profoundly uninterested in supporting my scenario. But Jase76 's is a lot more blatant.
angra is offline  
Old Apr 14, 20, 5:10 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: TOL
Posts: 169
Originally Posted by angra View Post
jjbiv - have you found that the email point of contact for Profeco is OK with submissions in English?

I had an online chat with Profeco yesterday and they seem profoundly uninterested in supporting my scenario. But Jase76 's is a lot more blatant.
Yes, the extranjeros (foreigners) email address is competent when communicating in English. PROFECO has a department called CARE which is dedicated to helping foreign consumers with their issues. Here is their site in English which provides an overview of the process: https://www.gob.mx/profeco/documento...tate=published and here is the complaint form to use: https://www.gob.mx/cms/uploads/attac...extranjero.pdf.
angra likes this.
jjbiv is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: