Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

Aeromexico - How do I get them to refund ticket for cancelled flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeromexico

We had flights booked for this week and Aeromexico cancelled them. We received emails to confirm this. They are still only offering a voucher but the one year window may not work for us. How do we get them to issue us a refund. Thanks. Steve
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
They're not going to budge. You're going to have to dispute with your credit card and/or sue them.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Also file a DOT complaint.
angra likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You need to document that you sought and were denied a refund (or that you sought and that AM denied).

US card issuers absolutely have this situation in hand. If properly documented, you may well see a temporary credit to your card account within a day or two and a permanent credit in due course. Be sure to have ready or to provide:
1. E-ticket receipt.
2. Proof that AM cancelled.
3. Proof that you asked for a refund.
4. Either a writtn denial or your documentation of a denial or no answer from AM.

DOT expects refunds to be initiated within 7 days, so you can start your chargeback on day 8 if no joy.

Last edited by Often1; Apr 9, 2020 at 12:30 pm
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:38 pm

@Often1 are you seeing reports of positively concluded disputes with AM? I opened disputes with AM and SQ on the same day under the same circumstances, about 3 weeks ago. SQ has been resolved in my favor, but AM is still under investigation. I presume this means that AM is fighting.

Of course I expect this to go in my favor, but I never personally treat the money as back in hand until the dispute is resolved. So, I am wondering how others are faring or if there is any knowledge we can extract by others' outcomes/progress.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by angra
@Often1 are you seeing reports of positively concluded disputes with AM? I opened disputes with AM and SQ on the same day under the same circumstances, about 3 weeks ago. SQ has been resolved in my favor, but AM is still under investigation. I presume this means that AM is fighting.

Of course I expect this to go in my favor, but I never personally treat the money as back in hand until the dispute is resolved. So, I am wondering how others are faring or if there is any knowledge we can extract by others' outcomes/progress.
It all depends on your card issuer. There are reports here that Amex US is handling disputes in 1-2 days if they are properly documented as noted above.

I would call your card issuer and find out whether it has what it needs from you. If AM is indeed contesting the chargeback and presuming that your tickets include at least a flight to or from the US, I would file a DOT complaint as well. That won't speed up your chargeback, but it is important for DOT to know which carriers are not complying with the 2011 rules and its recent Warning Letter.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:03 pm

Thanks - same US Amex card on both disputes. Unfortunately, the flight did not involve the US - it was YYZ-MEX-NRT. CTA has no interest in this issue in general, and I have not had much luck finding info out of Japan on this topic.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by Steveooooo36
We had flights booked for this week and Aeromexico cancelled them. We received emails to confirm this. They are still only offering a voucher but the one year window may not work for us. How do we get them to issue us a refund. Thanks. Steve
Having a similar problem where they cancelled my return from Peru. Denying a partial refund and offering a voucher only. I have it documented in email that I am specifically asking for x amount due from the unused amount in the fare calc line of the ticket (if you can access the ticket by clicking on the link you'll see the fare calc). I've disputed the charge with Chase and have received temporary credit. Saga continues ...
Old Apr 10, 2020, 12:08 pm
Suspended

The temporary credit will work just fine. It would take AM documenting that the flight is not cancelled or that you misread the fare line. That is fruitless work for AM. Thus, AM will almost certainly do nothing and your temporary credit will eventually be reversed and issued as a permanent credit.
PointsPanda likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Similar situation here but as a UK resident. Paid for a Premier Class ticket MEX - HAV - MEX. This e-ticket is endorsed with:

REF/CHG/CXL FREE OF CHARGE/NONEND
Not flying until 9 May but all AM flights to HAV have been cancelled until 31 April and I expect this will be done for May soon. Have emailed AM and they flat out refuse to refund me. I escalated as their website still states Premier Class tickets are refundable, which is not the case.

I paid with a debit card, so cannot do a charge back and booked with AM direct. Looks like I'll have to claim through travel insurance as AM don't seem to be budging on this, which I think it entirely immoral given they are still selling these tickets as refundable.
angra likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:23 pm

AM has devolved into open banditry at this point
Old Apr 13, 2020, 10:27 pm

Try chatting with or emailing PROFECO if AM won't refund a ticket which is clearly refundable.
[email protected]
Tel&eacutefono del Consumidor en L&iacutenea
You can call them as well (52-55-5625-6700, ext 1317) but I would recommend communicating in writing.
Jase76 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by jjbiv
Try chatting with or emailing PROFECO if AM won't refund a ticket which is clearly refundable.
[email protected]
Tel&eacutefono del Consumidor en L&iacutenea
You can call them as well (52-55-5625-6700, ext 1317) but I would recommend communicating in writing.
Many thanks, this is something I was looking for. I have made a complaint and will see how it goes
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:44 am

jjbiv - have you found that the email point of contact for Profeco is OK with submissions in English?

I had an online chat with Profeco yesterday and they seem profoundly uninterested in supporting my scenario. But Jase76 's is a lot more blatant.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by angra
jjbiv - have you found that the email point of contact for Profeco is OK with submissions in English?

I had an online chat with Profeco yesterday and they seem profoundly uninterested in supporting my scenario. But Jase76 's is a lot more blatant.
Yes, the extranjeros (foreigners) email address is competent when communicating in English. PROFECO has a department called CARE which is dedicated to helping foreign consumers with their issues. Here is their site in English which provides an overview of the process: https://www.gob.mx/profeco/documento...tate=published and here is the complaint form to use: https://www.gob.mx/cms/uploads/attac...extranjero.pdf.
angra likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.