Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

MeliaRewards [formerly Sol Melia MAS] program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MeliaRewards [formerly Sol Melia MAS] program

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:08 pm

I'm sure someone will be along soon to explain. Meanwhile...
  • Should be a year
  • I have the same issue
  • Melia's IT sucks even more than most, when it comes to the rewards side of things
united78 and remymartin like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by TheFlyingDoctor
I'm relatively new to Melia, having entered the scheme at gold level thanks to Amex platinum back in July. My account shows three 20% discount vouchers, but if I follow the link to use one, it declares that the code is expired... how long are these meant to be valid for post signup / reaching gold?
The discount codes have not worked directly for some months, you have to call the reservation center and they will manually apply the discount of 20%
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
As far as I understand the voucher is valid only for stays within its validity. Are you sure you’re not being caught by that?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I recently booked a Junior Suite in the Meliá Boutique Hotel Cala d'Or (in Cala d'Or, Mallorca) using points and it was an excellent stay. The Junior Suite was only 2,000 points more than a normal room and included breakfast (which was very good). It was my first major Meliá redemption, and it was really worth it. I suspect, if used correctly, that Meliá Rewards is a hidden gem in the world of hotel loyalty.

The cost was 38,000 points for a night which would have cost about EUR180-200 at the time.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
Originally Posted by Concerto
(...) I suspect, if used correctly, that Meliá Rewards is a hidden gem in the world of hotel loyalty.
If it’s still about the only programme where points redemptions are generally noncallable then it’s hardly a gem. ... or did this change in the last 3 years?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Didn't understand your post, could you clarify? I didn't get what "noncallable" means.

I think there are a couple of sweet spots on the Meliá Rewards program, but the problem is spotting where they are. I was happy with my redemption, because I was able to save about 180 Euros and spend that on something else. And the quality of the hotel was way better than what you find in your average IHG or lower price point Hilton property.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
Originally Posted by Concerto
Didn't understand your post, could you clarify? I didn't get what "noncallable" means.

I think there are a couple of sweet spots on the Meliá Rewards program, but the problem is spotting where they are. I was happy with my redemption, because I was able to save about 180 Euros and spend that on something else. And the quality of the hotel was way better than what you find in your average IHG or lower price point Hilton property.
It was supposed to mean non-cancellable. That is you have to forfeit you points when you have to adjust or cancel the award reservation.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh seriously, is that the case?? I really did not know that, maybe because I only ever made a total of 2 redemptions with Melia and didn’t need to change them. So I am very grateful for this information and will be wary in the future. I expected, for no good or apparent reason, that the points would be refunded in the event of cancellation and any change of booking would involve canceling the existing reservation and simply making a new one.

As you said, having reread your OP, maybe this changed in the last 3 years. Worth looking into, I think.

Last edited by Concerto; Oct 22, 2018 at 6:32 am Reason: grammar
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:47 am

No, it's not the case. You can cancel reward bookings for an immediate refund of points.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by todderz
No, it's not the case. You can cancel reward bookings for an immediate refund of points.
It depends on the type of rate, there are rates with points that are cancelable and others that not
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by todderz
Do you have hands-on experiences with getting your points back?

I didn’t use Melia for more than 3 years, so things might have changed since than. My last reservation with Melia was a „refundable“ points and cash reservation. The cancellation policy was „If cancel after 6 PM of arrival day or guest is no show, 90 % will be charged as cancellation penalty“
I cancelled well before the day of arrival, and the points never posted back. After some very tiresome phone calls with Melia Rewards my understanding was that if the rewards rate is „refundable“ than you just don’t get your points back, if it’s non-refundable than you need to pay a cancellation fee on top of that.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:10 am

Yes, I've cancelled points bookings in Manchester, Shanghai, and Luxembourg, as early as 3 years ago and as recently as last month.

As far as I know, that's how it always is for reward nights.

Points and cash is not the same. That's a cash rate with a discount in exchange for some points, so it always takes on the properties of the cash rate, not a reward night.

When I've cancelled reward nights, the points reappear within a few minutes.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve got used to the other programs allowing full refunds for all rates, including promotions, e.g. IHG. But just occasionally this latter offers reward bookings that do not permit a refund, although it is usually clearly indicated. But with Melia it would be good to know the current situation for su.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: Melia Planium, IB+, BAEC
I concur with todderz: MeliaRewards redemption bookings are generally refundable, if you book the right rate. When booking even with points, you clearly see if the booking is refundable or not. For example, I am just checking Melia website for a night at Melia Paris La Defence tonight. Melia double room is 24,874 points - online payment, cancellation non refundable. For 3k more points - 27,849 - payment in the hotel, free cancellation. So it's all about being careful and choosing the right rate when you book. If you are not sure, I suggest calling Melia and booking via the phone with one of their nice multilingual assistants. The lines are also open 24/7 which is great.
Speaking of MeliaRewards being a hidden gem, I believe one can get a lot of value out of this program, if used wisely I personally like to spend my MeliaRewards points for exciting hotels from Gran Melia portfolio, or hotels in touristy destinations like Paris, New York, Miami. The price per night at any of these these hotels is around 26-28k MeliaRewards points, which is IMHO a great value for a 4-5 star hotels in a very popular cities. But I guess it all depends how you earn the points, how much you want to stretch them and if you have a status with the hotel or not.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Not usually a Melia member but staying at the Yangon Melia (which is fantastic). Tried to make the reservation with my account online but couldn't get past the payment page as some of the fields were greyed out. It also was more expensive than Agoda. I called Melia to make the reservation and asked about their BRG. The rep asked for the website and when he brought it up it was higher than the one I was looking at. He then asked for a screen shot which I emailed to him while on the phone. I asked for a price adjustment and he said I would have to call back the next day and speak with a supervisor as he had no authority to change the price. No explanations to why he wanted all these steps he could not act on. I booked the reservation at their price as I was busy the next day. I email customer service and explained the frustration and asked for either the difference to be refunded or a similar amount of points to be credited. the response was I booked a non refundable rate and if I wanted to modify they would charge the total amount and start a new reservation. Nice service Melia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.