Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

MeliaRewards [formerly Sol Melia MAS] program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MeliaRewards [formerly Sol Melia MAS] program

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Did anyone make use of the slightly unusual and lucrative Melia Rewards points offer sold as a Black Friday deal? The offer was on the Spanish version of amazon and offered 55,000 points for EUR165 or 35,000 points for EUR105. Unusual, because Melia is selling services (including these points packages) via amazon and it is the first time a hotel chain has sold things using amazon. I decided to give it a miss when I saw that the points had to be used within a year of activation.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Concerto
Did anyone make use of the slightly unusual and lucrative Melia Rewards points offer sold as a Black Friday deal? The offer was on the Spanish version of amazon and offered 55,000 points for EUR165 or 35,000 points for EUR105. Unusual, because Melia is selling services (including these points packages) via amazon and it is the first time a hotel chain has sold things using amazon. I decided to give it a miss when I saw that the points had to be used within a year of activation.
I ordered, but won't get the card until I'm back home from a trip. I'm hoping to convert to IB+ Avios and tick off a partner from the 7-partner promo...

Not sure whether using 35K as a hotel stay would actually provide particularly good value, unless I need a night somewhere where the major chains aren't present...
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I ordered, but won't get the card until I'm back home from a trip. I'm hoping to convert to IB+ Avios and tick off a partner from the 7-partner promo...

Not sure whether using 35K as a hotel stay would actually provide particularly good value, unless I need a night somewhere where the major chains aren't present...
These points can't be transferred to other programas , only valid for stays.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by piblo
These points can't be transferred to other programas , only valid for stays.
Really? Any idea if there is a secondary resale market for these cards? Or if they can be returned to Amazon for a refund?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:25 am

Really? Any idea if there is a secondary resale market for these cards? Or if they can be returned to Amazon for a refund?
I suppose that Amazon will not have any problem in making the return.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, you’re playing the partner promotion with Iberia. I think you have to be more or less based in Spain to get the best out of it. I think indeed they can only be used for hotel stays. If you keep your eye on HeadForPoints, they will keep you right with details like that.

The fact that the use of the points are time restricted kept me away from this promotion. Concerning the value of 35,000 points, I used 38,000 for a redemption in a lovely boutique hotel in Mallorca, which I thought was great value for the quality of what I got. It was about 1,500 points cheaper to book a standard room, so I booked a junior suite with breakfast included. The mosquitoes were so bad you could hardly use the swimming pool. Two days later came the extreme violent storm that partly wiped away the nearby town of St. Lorenc.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, you’re playing the partner promotion with Iberia. I think you have to be more or less based in Spain to get the best out of it. I think indeed they can only be used for hotel stays. If you keep your eye on HeadForPoints, they will keep you right with details like that.
LOL. I am based in Spain, so I'm sure I can find a weekend night at a Melia if necessary.

As for HfP, I don't usually read it, because I don't want to be accused of stealing blog ideas. But I did happen upon this offer via HfP and Rob was pitching it as an Avios conversion opportunity, although he did say that he didn't actually know whether it would work. So "keep you right" isn't true in this case. (not blaming him though, I understand the risks with these things...)
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I tend to swing away from converting hotel points to airline miles in my thinking because that usually represents a very bad rate or is a poor conversion opportunity at best. I’m still glad I didn’t get on the wagon with this promotion, because my use of Melia hotels and Rewards is haphazard at best. Suppose I could have used them for an upcoming trip to Berlin but there are so many hotel options in Berlin, many of them really cheap.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I tend to swing away from converting hotel points to airline miles in my thinking because that usually represents a very bad rate or is a poor conversion opportunity at best. I’m still glad I didn’t get on the wagon with this promotion, because my use of Melia hotels and Rewards is haphazard at best. Suppose I could have used them for an upcoming trip to Berlin but there are so many hotel options in Berlin, many of them really cheap.
If it worked... 35,000 Melia points --> 11,000+ Avios (10:3 ratio) for 105 euros...

In theory it won't be hard to get more than 105 euros of value out of 35K Melia points, but you'd have to stay at a Melia for a night, and there are few Melias where I wouldn't have better options for a 1-nighter...
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well that’s the thing. I was, though, truly delighted with my overnight at the Melia Boutique Hotel in Mallorca. According to Rob on HfP, this offer’s going to come around again, a statement I think was based on feeling and experience in this milieu rather than a hard fact. So we need to keep a lookout!
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My conversion of 35K points to Avios seems to have gone through fine. Not sure why I seem to be a special case, but no complaints...
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently the Melia Rewards points offer of 55,000 points resurfaced for one day last Friday, but at the higher price of GBP205. There was some talk (on HfP) that instead of the points from that offer being valid for just one year, that they are valid indefinitely as long as you complete a stay within a 12 month period. But I suspect the points are somehow ringfenced, as you can't turn those particular points in for airline miles. That would suggest they are marked, somehow.

But my question is, what has happened to the buy points feature on Melia Rewards, once signed in? I couldn't find it anywhere, despite being signed in for a considerable length of time this evening and searching around for it. Withdrawn, maybe?

Last edited by Concerto; Dec 19, 2018 at 3:29 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
I have just purchased 35000 points for EUR 126. Overall good deal I would say to top up your Melia account (speculatively).
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JFSV
I have just purchased 35000 points for EUR 126. Overall good deal I would say to top up your Melia account (speculatively).
It is quite speculative, considering how hard it is to make any sense of the algorithm for charging points for award nights...
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: Melia Planium, IB+, BAEC
Actually, there is no algorithm and everything is quite clear. This is what one can find on Melia.com website (link below):
Approximate prices in points for a one-night stay in each brand:
  • Sol 3* from 11,000
  • Sol 4* from 14,000
  • Sol All inclusive Hotels from 25,000
  • TRYP by Wyndham 3* from 11,000
  • TRYP by Wyndham 4* from 17,000
  • INNSIDE by Meliá from 17,000
  • Meliá Hotels & Resorts 4* from 17,000
  • Meliá Hotels & Resorts 5* from 22,000
  • Meliá Hotels & Resorts All Inclusive from 34,000
  • ME by Meliá from 28,000
  • Gran Meliá Hotels & Resorts from 28,000
  • ME All Inclusive from 42,000
  • Paradisus Resorts from 42,000
MeliáRewards points exceptions
  • Meliá hotels in Paris from 26,000
  • TRYP by Wyndham hotels in Paris from 23,000
  • Meliá White House from 21,538
  • ME London from 45,500
  • Gran Meliá Rome from 37,000
  • Meliá Recoleta from 23,400
Source: https://www.melia.com/en/mymeliarewa...os/hoteles.htm

Once the number of rooms allocated to lowest points bucket is exhausted, the prices in points go up. In my experience it is worth booking in advance. I managed to book a week in New York's Innside for 17k points per night, Glan Melia Fenix in Madrid also for the lowest price quoted above (28,000 points), same goes for Gran Melia Palacio de Isora, Me Miami, Melia Nassau (Bahamas), etc. I often make a speculative refundable cash booking and then monitor price in points - it fluctuate. When it goes down, I cancel cash booking and book with points. Risky strategy, but worked for me

Last edited by dumba; Dec 19, 2018 at 9:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.