Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Anyone know anything about the proposed new carrier "Norse Atlantic?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone know anything about the proposed new carrier "Norse Atlantic?"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
They will skim off the subsidy for opening a new destination and move on when the money runs out...
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
They will skim off the subsidy for opening a new destination and move on when the money runs out...
Did Air Berlin also get a German subsidy when opening new destinations from a German federal capital airport to serve California and Florida?

Or are you referring to a subsidy from US sources?

If I get lucky, Norse will join Oneworld.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:02 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

All airlines starting a new destination from an airport are entitled to some form of subsidy from the airport. The airport waives handling charges at a minimum. The opponents of the proposed 3rd runway in Munich uncovered a lot of this as part of their quest to stop the expansion. Meridiana skimmed off millions of MUC over the years.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 9:32 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Any departures from FLL recently?
Old Sep 12, 2022, 1:06 am

Would it help if a big carrier take on Norse as a Low Cost Carrier or turn them into a full service value airline joining an alliance? If Norwegian failed what makes Norse profitable?

Are they doing it too quickly with the acquisitions of so many 787s?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:00 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years
Originally Posted by danielonn
Would it help if a big carrier take on Norse as a Low Cost Carrier or turn them into a full service value airline joining an alliance? If Norwegian failed what makes Norse profitable?

Are they doing it too quickly with the acquisitions of so many 787s?
I have a gazillion miles on alliance airlines (Star and Oneworld) and the currency seems to have little value at this point, much as we're addicted to all the programs. I'd rather just get a cheap seat on a clean plane to get where I'm going. If they join any "alliance", costs go up, complexity goes up, rules and fare structures get super convoluted, etc. But FYI, the already have interline ticketing with Norwegian, Easyjet and Spirit, so they are not operating in a total vacuum.

Also, from what I can tell, they didn't acquire too many planes too quickly. They actually scaled back substantially, as well as postponed their operational launch because of the pandemic uncertainty, so when they launched, it seems like supply and demand matched up pretty well. At least during the busy summer months when Norse ran something like an 85% load factor in their first couple of months of operation.

We need Norse to succeed. NYC to Berlin $700 on Norse vs $2500 on UA. We used Norwegian all the time for transatlantic, and they were fantastic. Probably a dozen flights over the years at least.

We're doing Oslo this october... $129 is the base fare, vs $600 on the old line network carriers. We're gladly paying for the premium seats with all the add ons, still less than half the price of the others, on basically new planes.

Maybe I'm old, but with 1000s of flights under my belt over the years on dozens of airlines around the world, I literally cannot tell the difference in most airlines anymore. A seat in an aluminum tube (or composite!), and bad food either way. I just wanna get where I'm going. They all have operational hickups, all lose luggage, all have cranky employees, all have planes that break, and all have inconsistent airport policies.
prgboy likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 12:00 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by wingnuthead
I have a gazillion miles on alliance airlines (Star and Oneworld) and the currency seems to have little value at this point, much as we're addicted to all the programs. I'd rather just get a cheap seat on a clean plane to get where I'm going. If they join any "alliance", costs go up, complexity goes up, rules and fare structures get super convoluted, etc. But FYI, the already have interline ticketing with Norwegian, Easyjet and Spirit, so they are not operating in a total vacuum.

Also, from what I can tell, they didn't acquire too many planes too quickly. They actually scaled back substantially, as well as postponed their operational launch because of the pandemic uncertainty, so when they launched, it seems like supply and demand matched up pretty well. At least during the busy summer months when Norse ran something like an 85% load factor in their first couple of months of operation.

We need Norse to succeed. NYC to Berlin $700 on Norse vs $2500 on UA. We used Norwegian all the time for transatlantic, and they were fantastic. Probably a dozen flights over the years at least.

We're doing Oslo this october... $129 is the base fare, vs $600 on the old line network carriers. We're gladly paying for the premium seats with all the add ons, still less than half the price of the others, on basically new planes.

Maybe I'm old, but with 1000s of flights under my belt over the years on dozens of airlines around the world, I literally cannot tell the difference in most airlines anymore. A seat in an aluminum tube (or composite!), and bad food either way. I just wanna get where I'm going. They all have operational hickups, all lose luggage, all have cranky employees, all have planes that break, and all have inconsistent airport policies.
I agree
first flight out of FLL next week I guess I’ll see how it is
Old Sep 22, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years
Originally Posted by frank_10b
I agree
first flight out of FLL next week I guess I’ll see how it is
Curious what you think. We're doing Oslo end of October, 8 of us, also doing Norwegian up north, then Norse back to the states....
I'll post here about our experience on Norse.

Interestingly, we live about 45 minutes from Newburgh NY, Stewart Airport SWF, where Play Air runs cheap flights to Iceland! We'll do that at some point, hopefully before they go out of business!!

Play will likely not survive, as they are primarily price based, with zero customer support, and expensive tickets if you actually buy seats and bags. Norse on the other hand, is being fairly clever (IMHO) about product and feature packaging and pricing....
Old Sep 29, 2022, 5:40 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
We just flew BER-JFK in premium and were very impressed. The service was friendly and professional. The flight attendants offered an additional drink, including wine and beer, during the first meal service and were happy to give me a Diet Coke in the middle of the flight. The food was mediocre-to-terrible so...about average for most airlines. Dunno about loads on other routes, but the FA said BER-JFK has been no more than 50% booked in premium, which is great in terms of space for passengers. There was no weighing or measuring of carry-on's (for premium, at least). Of course, the surprising flexibility we experienced might just be temporary while they roll out.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 11:32 pm

LAX now only 'seasonal' and suspended starting Oct 16. OSL-FLL reduced:
Old Oct 1, 2022, 6:34 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Also picked up by the blogs today

https://liveandletsfly.com/norse-atl...geles/#respond

https://onemileatatime.com/news/nors...ncels-flights/

But than again yesterday
https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/nors...ic-next-steps/

And because James (TPG) did a september 2022 review:
https://thepointsguy.co.uk/reviews/n...c-premium-787/

However the thought of being stranded or changing travel arrangements due to no flights at all is more scary than halloween.....
Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA
And so it begins...
Norwegian 2.0

Same people, same aircraft, same strategy.

Now we know how long their LAX incentives lasted.
osamede and HadesNL like this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 12:31 am

The investor relations statement hurts the eyes... what a waste of capital:

https://newsroom.aviator.aero/norse-...winter-routes/
osamede likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 12:54 am

Norse air: LGW (Gatwick, England) to JFK one way?

Will be arriving in England via cruise ship in May.
Every non-stop airline back to JFK is expensive except Norse Air.

$317 + $38 seat assignment.
Includes 1 carry on + 1 checked luggage.

Why are they so cheap?
Any tips/warnings for this airline?
Thx
Old Apr 10, 2023, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
They are a low-cost carrier, they are not part of any joint-venture, they only aim point to point traffic while all other carriers on the London - New York route have a very strong connecting network through their joint-venture partners ( except for JetBlue which is still cheaper than UA, AA, DL, VS, BA ).

Same logic why Allegiant Airlines is significantly cheaper than United, Delta, American in the USA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.