Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Anyone know anything about the proposed new carrier "Norse Atlantic?"

Anyone know anything about the proposed new carrier "Norse Atlantic?"

Old Oct 20, 2023, 11:22 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years
Originally Posted by phil94028
I did LAX-LGW a couple of weeks ago in Premium Light. Super nice crew and the food was actually better than my last United Polaris flight - which is more a United problem! Full open bar on board. No wifi on Norse, even though the planes have it installed.

The checkin at LAX a bit odd as it at T1 next to Southwest but avoids the mess at TBIT security as there were no lines early afternoon and the bus takes you to the far TBIT island. Norse do not to Pre so this was actually a plus.

One person in front of me in line at checkin. They absolutely were enforcing the 10Kg limit on the carry on, even for small excursions. The personal item was not weighed. Pushed off the gate right on time.

They have been cutting flights very significantly to LAX and abandoned SFO. My flight was full in Premium but very light in the back so probably a smart move to survive, which I hope they do! LGW is a much quicker airport than LHR.

Like TomCayman, I do one ways and Norse were a bit greedy on the way back so did a last minute pretty cheap miles ticket on United in premium plus. That flight on an ancient 777 was empty in the back and full in Polaris and Premium, so winter on the Atlantic has started.

Would strongly recommend them in Premium with the caveat that they may not survive (again) long term.
To your point about "Norse were a bit greedy on the way back", that's actually the insane UK airport departure tax!! I hate it for sure, but hard to get around it. Even it you check other smaller carriers like Jetblue, you'll see the exact same asymmetry where the US-UK flight is cheap, but the return UK-US flight is like double.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, WN A-List
Taxes

Originally Posted by wingnuthead
To your point about "Norse were a bit greedy on the way back", that's actually the insane UK airport departure tax!! I hate it for sure, but hard to get around it. Even it you check other smaller carriers like Jetblue, you'll see the exact same asymmetry where the US-UK flight is cheap, but the return UK-US flight is like double.
What is annoying is that the taxes are fixed and not a percentage of the fare. United were 50K miles and $300 in taxes for the return.
I think Norse were at $2K. They do like to experiment! Some super cheap flights LAX-LGW in Premium right now though for Jan.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 8:21 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Anyone else struggling to 'add seat' during the booking process? I'm trying to add seat to the basic fare. The IT seems wonky and asks you to 'select for all passengers' even when only one passenger and seat selected.
Great they fly from Gatwick, but obviously can't fly with them if I can't buy a ticket!
Old Oct 22, 2023, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by littlefish
Anyone else struggling to 'add seat' during the booking process? I'm trying to add seat to the basic fare. The IT seems wonky and asks you to 'select for all passengers' even when only one passenger and seat selected.
Great they fly from Gatwick, but obviously can't fly with them if I can't buy a ticket!
I had a similar problem. They seem to be aware but for some odd reason do not want to fix the problem and get the $. A bit worrying that it is still broken as it hurts their ancillary revenue.
I contacted them on the site with the seat number and got a reply that they did it manually. I was then able to then pay online.
littlefish likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
I had a similar problem. They seem to be aware but for some odd reason do not want to fix the problem and get the $. A bit worrying that it is still broken as it hurts their ancillary revenue.
I contacted them on the site with the seat number and got a reply that they did it manually. I was then able to then pay online.
Many thanks for confirming.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 5:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Wyndham Diamond
I did LAX-LGW a couple of weeks ago in Premium Light. Super nice crew and the food was actually better than my last United Polaris flight - which is more a United problem! Full open bar on board. No wifi on Norse, even though the planes have it installed.

The checkin at LAX a bit odd as it at T1 next to Southwest but avoids the mess at TBIT security as there were no lines early afternoon and the bus takes you to the far TBIT island. Norse do not to Pre so this was actually a plus.

One person in front of me in line at checkin. They absolutely were enforcing the 10Kg limit on the carry on, even for small excursions. The personal item was not weighed. Pushed off the gate right on time.

They have been cutting flights very significantly to LAX and abandoned SFO. My flight was full in Premium but very light in the back so probably a smart move to survive, which I hope they do! LGW is a much quicker airport than LHR.

Like TomCayman, I do one ways and Norse were a bit greedy on the way back so did a last minute pretty cheap miles ticket on United in premium plus. That flight on an ancient 777 was empty in the back and full in Polaris and Premium, so winter on the Atlantic has started.

Would strongly recommend them in Premium with the caveat that they may not survive (again) long term.
How long was the check-in line at LAX T1? I'm flying this route in the spring.

--

I'm reading that Norse said they need to urgently raise $45 million to pay a ‘key supplier’ and that it was facing financial ‘headwinds.’ Feels like deja vu.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 6:21 pm

LAX etc

Originally Posted by happychic
How long was the check-in line at LAX T1? I'm flying this route in the spring.

--

I'm reading that Norse said they need to urgently raise $45 million to pay a ‘key supplier’ and that it was facing financial ‘headwinds.’ Feels like deja vu.
In Premium there was one couple in front of me. Very efficient checkin, even with the bag weighing. While the bus was a pain mitigated by great views (and the lack of PRE), it was way nicer than even EI biz checkin at TBIT.

I saw that release too on need for cash. Sounds like their winter cold to warm strategy is not working .... all the LGW-LAX schedule slashing another warning. I assume the supplier is fuel, so the end could come suddenly.

Feels like they had too many planes still and should have started out more slowly on a dense set of routes! Maybe waited for the UK AOC before doing anything.

All that being said I would still fly them - but as always with a plan B (cheap FF miles ticket on someone else).
happychic and wanderingpixie like this.

Last edited by phil94028; Nov 2, 2023 at 6:21 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 3, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Wyndham Diamond
In Premium there was one couple in front of me. Very efficient checkin, even with the bag weighing. While the bus was a pain mitigated by great views (and the lack of PRE), it was way nicer than even EI biz checkin at TBIT.

I saw that release too on need for cash. Sounds like their winter cold to warm strategy is not working .... all the LGW-LAX schedule slashing another warning. I assume the supplier is fuel, so the end could come suddenly.

Feels like they had too many planes still and should have started out more slowly on a dense set of routes! Maybe waited for the UK AOC before doing anything.

All that being said I would still fly them - but as always with a plan B (cheap FF miles ticket on someone else).
Thank you! I'm also flying on Premium Light. (With the price honestly it's a no brainer.) Was departure in T1 or TBIT? I assume the bus took you past security in T1 to TBIT. I was hoping to visit the Amex Centurion lounge pre-departure.

In complete agreement about Plan B - it's a good thing so many banks have transferrable currency to British Airways. Although I'm not sure what the last minute availability will be like. I guess I will find out.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by happychic
Thank you! I'm also flying on Premium Light. (With the price honestly it's a no brainer.) Was departure in T1 or TBIT? I assume the bus took you past security in T1 to TBIT. I was hoping to visit the Amex Centurion lounge pre-departure.

In complete agreement about Plan B - it's a good thing so many banks have transferrable currency to British Airways. Although I'm not sure what the last minute availability will be like. I guess I will find out.
Sure hope they make it through the winter. Hard for an airline to hibernate!

The bus takes you from airside T1 to the far island at TBIT which is where the likes of Norse operate out of. Very convenient actually and the food court there is a bit lounge like anyway, for those of us with low expectations. Easy walk back to the main part of the terminal for the main lounges. Do get a bag scale and put anything heavy in the personal item - which they do not seem to care about.

I would get calibrated on last minute miles ticket costs and bogus fees. Off season United are very cheap for last minute redemptions. Google flights is good for close in paid options too. Especially one ways, as a plan C.
happychic likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 11:15 pm

Widebody to Antarctica

This made the main news outlets but pretty impressive and great PR. Obviously a charter.
Beats United flying around the Golden Gate Bridge for APAC!
Hopefully enough charters/wet lease to keep Norse going. thought the Winter.

Old Dec 5, 2023, 6:47 am

Programs: BA, Turkish Airlines

Very interested to hear from anyone who did the Caribbean route (Barbados, Jamaica) if the plane actually took off or not! If they are just selling and cancelling later that is something to be aware of.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
Hopefully enough charters/wet lease to keep Norse going. thought the Winter.
Considering how much they have cut their winter schedule compared to what they offered for sale 6 months ago, they have plenty of capacity for charters.

https://ishrionaviation.com/news/nor...nter-2023-cuts
HadesNL and wanderingpixie like this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Norse has a 'pay by the hour' lease agreement, so parking their aircraft doesn't hurt them that bad. The leisure destinations are usually tied to a tour operator contract who buys a substantial part of the seats in advance. If the deals falls thru they cancel the sheduled flight.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 10:58 am

Programs: AA 3MM
Originally Posted by TomCayman
Flew on Norwegian TATL a lot pre-pandemic and agree with all noted in this post.

Flying Norse Atlantic next week LGW-MIA and have booked again on same route in a couple of months

Choosing "Premium Light" as travelling on business and only for a few days so can manage with the 10kg carry on limit. Also likely to not bother with seat assignments as with 43" minimum seat pitch am not really worried which seat I get. All in all, under $1200 rt for Premium on LGW-MIA, that is unbeatable compared to the major carriers.

Oh, and when I used them (Norwegian) before, I also loved the option of booking one way tickets, then I would often use miles to book one way on a legacy carrier to enable a long haul triangle trip (as we know, one way TATL tickets on legacy carriers are crazy pricey).

If anything to add to the review above, will do so when I get back
So, my October round trip was great. On the jetway on the way back listened to people in front and behind me complaining about various things to do with Norse and none of them had actually flown them before. I noted to them that they were getting probably the best Premium Economy seat in the sky, in the nose of the aircraft (as no business class), on a newer aircraft than the US or UK legacy carriers, and that I'd found the crew wonderful on my outbound. When we boarded, turned out some of the same crew members from my outbound were dead-heading to LGW, one recognised me and offered to help me get a better seat (no need), to which I replied "so thoughtful, but you are off duty, relax "... the crew mostly worked for Norwegian and are SO happy to be back working on Norse post-covid

Am flying the some route (LGW-MIA) tomorrow, but as travelling with someone and for several weeks am not going Premium Light plus chose seats, so flights a bit pricier, but still far less than any other carrier in Premium Economy.

Oh, if going from MIA, do remember they fly out of F.... so don't go through security unit you have to as there is nothing in that terminal. At least Norse now works with TSA Pre and F also now has a Pre line
Old Jan 10, 2024, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Not sure about daytime or red-eye flight? How about both! (Norse JFK-FCO)

Norse has an additional time slot from JFK to FCO flight for summer 2024 (part of its expansion on this route to 8 flights per week). A brutal blocked time for the 8th flight, but hey, you'd get to enjoy the feeling of both a daytime and a redeye all on one flight.

NO404: JFK1325 0345+1FCO

Leaving at 125pm and arrive at 345am.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.