Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian to fly between UK, Ireland and U.S. NE Coast cities. from Summer 2017.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian to fly between UK, Ireland and U.S. NE Coast cities. from Summer 2017.

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by itsallgood
I didn't do the math - it was an off-the-cuff remark. Here's a link that gives fuel prices: IATA - Jet Fuel Price Monitor

You realize that the price Norwegian lists includes all taxes, right? For a Novemeber Norwegian ticket at $214.90, $158.50 is taxes according to Norwegian's booking engine. So it's really $56.40 x 300 for Norwegian so they would get $16,900 on a $214.90 one way ticket LGW-JFK.
Those taxes are not taxes, but "taxes" - including Norwegian's own charges.
Old May 5, 2018, 1:58 am

I didn't do the math - it was an off-the-cuff remark.
For me, it gives an indication of the credibility of someone's posts when they come out with stuff like that.
Old May 5, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by duvin
Those taxes are not taxes, but "taxes" - including Norwegian's own charges.
For a LGW-JFK flight at least $100 (£78) is the UK Air Passenger Duty (APD). And there’s an airport facility charge for departing Gatwick. So the majority of those “taxes” are government imposed and don’t go into Norwegian’s coffers. That’s for ex-LGW as per the $214.90 fare mentioned.
Old May 5, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller

For a LGW-JFK flight at least $100 (£78) is the UK Air Passenger Duty (APD). And there’s an airport facility charge for departing Gatwick. So the majority of those “taxes” are government imposed and don’t go into Norwegian’s coffers. That’s for ex-LGW as per the $214.90 fare mentioned.

Right, this is one of the major problems with transatlantic "low fare" airlines. The taxes are so high that you can never really be "low fare" (well, you can be low fare if you're willing to accept low single digit unit RASM, but you're unlikely to stay in business for long with those yields!). You also have to buy the same airplanes (probably at higher prices) and pay the same fuel prices. And because of the logistics of int'l routes, you usually can't fly your planes more (indeed, it's easier for a major hub airline to get more utilization out of their aircraft, because they can use them on multiple routes in multiple directions). Meanwhile, you lose ALL the revenue of business travelers, especially in the premium cabins where the majority of money is made on these routes.

Norwegian just has a bad business plan. I've been investing in this sector for decades and I know a bad business plan when I see one. MOST airline start-ups fail. It's a very hard business. I'm still amazed that this strategy ever got green-lighted. It was doomed to fail. That said, ironically, it looks like Norwegian's owners may get paid by competitors to fail. I've seen this before. Virgin America -- whose business plan was poor, but light years better than Norwegian -- never really made money, but got bought (for its assets) at a huge premium by Alaska. So maybe the folks at Norwegian are smarter than I think they are. Maybe they didn't care if they ever made money (I've seen tech companies created simply to sell out). Still, their plan is so terrible that I'm still skeptical that they can sell out and make money on that transaction. We'll see. Regardless, the airline (in its current form) will cease operations at some point, probably sooner than later.
Old May 5, 2018, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Financial Times has this interesting quip yesterday from an analyst about the likelihood of IAG ever acquiring Norwegian:

"Analysts at Bernstein said the chances of a financially sensible deal were low: “The defiant rejection by Norwegian suggests the intersection between what a rational IAG will pay for a heavily lossmaking airline, and what the Norwegian board considers acceptable, is very small (or likely non-existent).”"
Old May 5, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
The Financial Times has this interesting quip yesterday from an analyst about the likelihood of IAG ever acquiring Norwegian:

"Analysts at Bernstein said the chances of a financially sensible deal were low: “The defiant rejection by Norwegian suggests the intersection between what a rational IAG will pay for a heavily lossmaking airline, and what the Norwegian board considers acceptable, is very small (or likely non-existent).”"
IAG can bide their time as Norwegian runs itself into the ground. And in the meantime they can help expedite Norwegian’s demise or the point where they’ll have to accept an offer. They can match or even undercut Norwegian’s fares, taking the millennials/backpackers’ business away. They (along with DL, AF, KL and AA) are now offering Basic Economy fares that match Norwegian’s bare bones fares, and the upsell to full service (free checked bag and in flight F&B) is 50% less than DY.
Old May 6, 2018, 1:26 am

Right, this is one of the major problems with transatlantic "low fare" airlines. The taxes are so high that you can never really be "low fare" (well, you can be low fare if you're willing to accept low single digit unit RASM, but you're unlikely to stay in business for long with those yields!). You also have to buy the same airplanes (probably at higher prices) and pay the same fuel prices. And because of the logistics of int'l routes, you usually can't fly your planes more (indeed, it's easier for a major hub airline to get more utilization out of their aircraft, because they can use them on multiple routes in multiple directions). Meanwhile, you lose ALL the revenue of business travelers, especially in the premium cabins where the majority of money is made on these

Norwegian just has a bad business plan. I've been investing in this sector for decades and I know a bad business plan when I see one. MOST airline start-ups fail. It's a very hard business. I'm still amazed that this strategy ever got green-lighted. It was doomed to fail. That said, ironically, it looks like Norwegian's owners may get paid by competitors to fail. I've seen this before. Virgin America -- whose business plan was poor, but light years better than Norwegian -- never really made money, but got bought (for its assets) at a huge premium by Alaska. So maybe the folks at Norwegian are smarter than I think they are. Maybe they didn't care if they ever made money (I've seen tech companies created simply to sell out). Still, their plan is so terrible that I'm still skeptical that they can sell out and make money on that transaction. We'll see. Regardless, the airline (in its current form) will cease operations at some point, probably sooner than later.
AirAsia X is able to make it work in Asia, with flights of 5-8 hours, connecting places like Japan, Beijing, and Aulstralia to Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur.

I’m repeating myself, I think TransAtlantic LCC is possible, but it works better with Wow who can use the geographic advantage of their Icelandic hub, to offer relatively short flights on mostly narrowbody aircrafts. They don’t have to rely on O/D, they can connect passengers in Chicago, Cleveland, and Cincinnati to places like London, Paris, and Dublin. Even AirAsia offers connections on their long haul product.

Old May 6, 2018, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by onuhistorian0116

AirAsia X is able to make it work in Asia, with flights of 5-8 hours, connecting places like Japan, Beijing, and Aulstralia to Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur.

I’m repeating myself, I think TransAtlantic LCC is possible, but it works better with Wow who can use the geographic advantage of their Icelandic hub, to offer relatively short flights on mostly narrowbody aircrafts. They don’t have to rely on O/D, they can connect passengers in Chicago, Cleveland, and Cincinnati to places like London, Paris, and Dublin. Even AirAsia offers connections on their long haul product.

Air Asia sits in a very different market, the growing middle classes in South East Asia that can now afford to travel. The price levels in many of the market are not as fiercely low yet as the transatlantic market
​​​​​
Old May 6, 2018, 3:24 am
Suspended

Won

Right, this is one of the major problems with transatlantic "low fare" airlines. The taxes are so high that you can never really be "low fare" (well, you can be low fare if you're willing to accept low single digit unit RASM, but you're unlikely to stay in business for long with those yields!). You also have to buy the same airplanes (probably at higher prices) and pay the same fuel prices. And because of the logistics of int'l routes, you usually can't fly your planes more (indeed, it's easier for a major hub airline to get more utilization out of their aircraft, because they can use them on multiple routes in multiple directions). Meanwhile, you lose ALL the revenue of business travelers, especially in the premium cabins where the majority of money is made on these routes.

wonder what mexican taxes are cf. Usa taxes ? Tij is basically san diego with cbx & many people will drive for hours to save 5 bucks. Last time i drove from san diego to lax it took exactly 2 hours.
Old May 6, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by ft101
For me, it gives an indication of the credibility of someone's posts when they come out with stuff like that.
I've flown between the UK and US many times and have priced out tickets quite a bit. My first thought when I looked at the price was that I've paid higher UK departure taxes on some of my flights so I knew that the fare was not going to cover much more than taxes.

Price out fares from any London airport to the US on any carrier. For those carriers that break out the taxes by taxing authority, you're going to see some of very high numbers for UK departure taxes. On top of that, you've got US immigration and customs taxes.

So no, I didn't need to run numbers to know that it was a money losing price. I don't know why so many here seem to think that this is a realistic - or even sane - ticket price.
Old May 6, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by southpac
wonder what mexican taxes are cf. Usa taxes ? Tij is basically san diego with cbx & many people will drive for hours to save 5 bucks. Last time i drove from san diego to lax it took exactly 2 hours.
I was unable to locate any TIJ-LAX nonstops using Kayak so I'll assume that such a flight doesn't exist.

I found a GDL-LAX flight on Alaska. Here are the numbers (the US fees look the same/similar as for any international arrival, no matter the departure city):
Total per passenger
$188.86
Fare
$114.00
Base fare
$114.00
Taxes and fees
$74.86
Mexico airport dept. tax
$35.35
Mexico Transportation Tax IVA International
$4.60
US APHIS user fee
$3.96
US Customs user fee
$5.65
US Immigration user fee
$7.00
US int'l arrival tax
$18.30
Old May 6, 2018, 5:28 pm
Suspended

So save around $35 one way

If fly Europe to tij (cbx) instead of Europe to san. Wonder whst arrival taxes into tij are like ?
Old May 6, 2018, 5:33 pm
Suspended

I've flown between the UK and US many times and have priced out tickets quite a bit. My first thought when I looked at the price was that I've paid higher UK departure taxes on some of my flights so I knew that the fare was not going to cover much more than taxes.

Price out fares from any London airport to the US on any carrier. For those carriers that break out the taxes by taxing authority, you're going to see some of very high numbers for UK departure taxes. On top of that, you've got US immigration and customs taxes.

So no, I didn't need to run numbers to know that it was a money losing price. I don't know why so many here seem to think that this is a realistic - or even sane - ticket price.
2 things

1. Many airlines put out a few loss leader seats & get free publicity which is probably cheaper than advertising costs.

2. Some govts/airports give exemptions on some charges or absorb them for new airlines/routes to help them get off ground especially if the airline advertises a fare for a certain minimum number of seats at below cost of normal taxes. Sometimes called subsidies.

if A certain jurisdiction like very dodgy eu doesn't allow subsidies then an airport can support in other ways. Say an airport says to an airline fly here & we will wsive first $100k of landing fees. The airport could buy $100k of airline tickets & call it staff travel.

Last edited by southpac; May 6, 2018 at 5:53 pm
Old May 6, 2018, 9:20 pm

But, it isn’t just the ticket price. It is also the other fees. I flew Wow for $150 form ORD to DUB, and I have to imagine I was one of the few who actually only paid Wow $150, as all I had with a backpack.

For most people traveling over an Ocean with less than 10KG of luggage is a nog go. Also they get plenty of stupid people who don’t do research, see this random airline they never heard of selling flights hundreds of dollars cheaper than the next competitor (that they probalby hear of), who turn up at the airport and are shocked to find out they are going to have pay a hefty fee to check their 20 KG suitcase, and when they get on the plane are shocked to pay for water and food. Read Norweigen and Wow’s Tripadivsor pages, plenty of people don’t know the basic rules that these airlines make super clear on their websites, and end up paying handsomely for it at the airport.

Also, I am unsure of EU regulations, but in the U.S. fees, as opposed to airfare, are untaxed.

And like one of the above posters said, free publicity. When news broke that Wow was entering CVG, the Cincinnati Enquirer ran stories with headlines like “$99 to Iceland Budget AIrline Coming to CVG”. Also, not to mention that people will post on social media about it. A friend of mine flew to Iceland on Wow after I told her about my ticket.
Old May 6, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by onuhistorian0116
Also, I am unsure of EU regulations, but in the U.S. fees, as opposed to airfare, are untaxed.
You're probably talking about sales taxes? International air and sea transport are exempt from VAT in the EU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.