Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian to fly between UK, Ireland and U.S. NE Coast cities. from Summer 2017.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian to fly between UK, Ireland and U.S. NE Coast cities. from Summer 2017.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Didn’t they do all that a good decade ago, with things like Song, TED, Jazz, Tango etc.? Glad music is so important to them, although TED made me think of teddy bears. Though as I write this I realize these were for domestic travel only and not long-distance international. So I’ve rolled slightly off topic here. Actually, Jazz is the only one out of that lot that seems to have survived in a way.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Concerto
Didn’t they do all that a good decade ago, with things like Song, TED, Jazz, Tango etc.? Glad music is so important to them, although TED made me think of teddy bears. Though as I write this I realize these were for domestic travel only and not long-distance international. So I’ve rolled slightly off topic here. Actually, Jazz is the only one out of that lot that seems to have survived in a way.
Though not US, but Air Canada Rouge seems to be going strong.
The difference is that the US carriers get their main part of the market from domestic for BA the long haul part weighs far more heavily.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Actually those airlines with funny names were created about 15 years ago, I think, and only lasted a short time.. But today is a vastly different landscape to then soak the comparison is probably spurious.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
And there's a reason for that.
The "walled-garden" of a captive, high-fares domestic market.

US carriers make their money at home. And increasingly want immunised joint ventures to "protect" their overseas forays.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
The "walled-garden" of a captive, high-fares domestic market.

US carriers make their money at home. And increasingly want immunised joint ventures to "protect" their overseas forays.
Actually, US airlines make a ton of money on int'l service. We don't know with specificity, but it's strongly believed in the industry that most of that money is made in the premium cabins. We do know that transatlantic coach is only significantly profitable during the warmer months.

This is a very different set of circumstances from the USA domestic market, where coach is where the money is made. It explains why we traditionally don't have a lot of low fare int'l airlines leaving from the USA -- although lots of folks now seem to be trying across the Atlantic.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, US airlines make a ton of money on int'l service. .
How could they not, with their JVs allowing them to overcharge? That's why new entrants such as Norwegian are seen as so threatening and why the US airlines fought to have DY stopped.

The fact remains, however, that US airlines make the bulk of their money at home. In Q4 2017, 63% of United's total passenger revenue was attributed to Domestic services. Over at Delta, domestic passenger revenue accounted for 73% of all passenger revenue in the December quarter. AA report a higher yield for domestic traffic than for international traffic for full-year 2017, and the yield on Domestic is growing faster, too.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just in case you didn't think things could get worse for Norwegian, they have.

The majority of their 787 fleet has now been restricted from extended over-water ops because of concerns about engine reliability.

New trouble lands on Norwegian?s fleet

Honestly, I'm not sure how many flights are actually impacted by the flight restrictions, or if it's more of a maintenance problem. I haven't found a story that goes into that level of detail.

Strangely, Norwegian's stock is still rising due to IAG's reported interest in buying this troubled airline.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The RR 787 Engine fiasco has hit a number of airlines. Norwegian has an easy way to mitigate that. So it should not hurt their finances.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The RR 787 Engine fiasco has hit a number of airlines. Norwegian has an easy way to mitigate that. So it should not hurt their finances.
Does their gold care package guarantee a certain up time on the airframes, or what is the easy way to mitigate?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The majority of their 787 fleet has now been restricted from extended over-water ops because of concerns about engine reliability.
Really?

Originally Posted by Bloomberg

Hardest hit will be airlines flying Boeing’s carbon-fiber airliners on trans-Pacific routes, said aviation consultant Robert Mann. Flights that typically take polar routes will need to hug the coast of Alaska, adding time and cost, he said. Trans-Atlantic service shouldn’t be affected.
Far more onerous will be the engline blade check that the EASA now requires after every 80 trips rather than after every 200.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

gcmap.com has an ETOPS mapper; they don't list the Boeing 787 specifically, but I doubt its engine-out speed is much different than the Boeing 777, which I have selected. The new ETOPs limit is 140 minutes (down from 330) - I have selected both 120 and 138, and you can see, highlighted by the red circle, the only part of the Atlantic that is now off bounds for an LGW-JFK routing.

AS you can see, this is not going to have much, if any, impact on any of DY's TATL 787 routings.

In the second attachment, you can see indeed that this is primarily a problem for transpacific routes [The darker shaded parts of the ocean are the new no-go areas]
Attached Images   
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Does their gold care package guarantee a certain up time on the airframes, or what is the easy way to mitigate?
They will be able to cover the gap with adhoc charters, with the additional cost to be paid by/via Boeing Gold/RR liability insurance. For services they cannot cover (HiFly and Co only have so many aircraft in Summer) they will probably cancel the ineffecient routes and ask RR to pay for the lost revenue. Norwegian longhaul has plenty of experience with such situations now.... as long as the cancellations are >14 days the EU261 penalties should be minimal and longhaul LCC customers learn (yet another) their lesson.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:08 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

New trouble lands on Norwegian?s fleet

Honestly, I'm not sure how many flights are actually impacted by the flight restrictions, or if it's more of a maintenance problem. I haven't found a story that goes into that level of detail.

Strangely, Norwegian's stock is still rising due to IAG's reported interest in buying this troubled airline.
I see you're showing your usual level of expertise regarding other airlines now...

1. Are they from USA?

2.If yes, must be good

3. If no, must be corrupt, losing money, badly managed.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
3. If no, must be corrupt, losing money, badly managed.
Unless they are involved in an immunised joint-venture with a US airline (thereby benefitting from their knowledge, expertise, and greatness) or, at a pinch, are not [and never have been] the subject of altruistic, pure-hearted customer-oriented complaints regarding unfair subsidies and unfair competition made by any of the knowledgable, expert and customer-focused US airlines.

(The US can't even handle foreign rivals connecting US customers via a point outside the US....and of course, foreign rivals can't connect US customers domestically)

Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: AA Gold
Just arrived in LGW from BOS.

Perfectly adequate experience. I doubt my return on AA will be much better, especially when comparing relative costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.