Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Did I just get a free flight? Never purchased but got PNR in Air China email.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

So I was browsing flights and briefly considered buying an Air China flight. I filled my details on the system but never bought the flight. Hence, my surprise when I got numerous email from Air China that my flight with PNR ****** was eligible for bidding for a business class upgrade.

As you might have guessed, I am just wondering if I landed a free flight somehow. I have checked my statements and can confirm I was not charged for this tickets (actually never went beyond entering passenger names). Also, the Air China lady said she couldn't locate the PNR. So I'm pretty sure its a dud. But I just wanted to ask the experts opinion here.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by wariobahn
So I was browsing flights and briefly considered buying an Air China flight. I filled my details on the system but never bought the flight. Hence, my surprise when I got numerous email from Air China that my flight with PNR ****** was eligible for bidding for a business class upgrade.

As you might have guessed, I am just wondering if I landed a free flight somehow. I have checked my statements and can confirm I was not charged for this tickets (actually never went beyond entering passenger names). Also, the Air China lady said she couldn't locate the PNR. So I'm pretty sure its a dud. But I just wanted to ask the experts opinion here.
It's not uncommon for Chinese airlines to create and hold a booking if you go through the motions. They'll hold the reservation for a few days or so. Likely that generated the 'bid for upgrade' email.

While I don't recall having seen this from Air China, I have for airlines like Spring and Jueyao.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
This happened to me some years ago with a KLM booking. Lhr to Tokyo (return) in business class. The reservation was online and would even allow me to check in. I had made the booking approximately in April for travel in November.

I advised them that I wouldn't be travelling and requested a refund. At that point I was messaged and asked for proof of payment, which of course I didn't have. I didn't answer that email and never heard any more.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cris L
This happened to me some years ago with a KLM booking. Lhr to Tokyo (return) in business class. The reservation was online and would even allow me to check in. I had made the booking approximately in April for travel in November.

I advised them that I wouldn't be travelling and requested a refund. At that point I was messaged and asked for proof of payment, which of course I didn't have. I didn't answer that email and never heard any more.
Haha I'd have taken that flight if I were you. In my case the PNR couldn't be validated so I had to give up on it.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by wariobahn
Haha I'd have taken that flight if I were you. In my case the PNR couldn't be validated so I had to give up on it.
Unfortunately they do ask for payment on these before being allowed to fly.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Unfortunately they do ask for payment on these before being allowed to fly.
I mean if he was able to check in online and generate a boarding pass, who would ask him for money?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:51 pm

You could at least have used the lounge (with a guest!) and maximized your "business class experience"
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The OP would never had gotten this far (into the lounge). If prof of payment will be required at check-in, OLCI or at least issue of BP will be blocked until an agent has checked and confirmed your payment/credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.