FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   Did I just get a free flight? Never purchased but got PNR in Air China email. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1954174-did-i-just-get-free-flight-never-purchased-but-got-pnr-air-china-email.html)

wariobahn Feb 1, 19 12:54 pm

Did I just get a free flight? Never purchased but got PNR in Air China email.

So I was browsing flights and briefly considered buying an Air China flight. I filled my details on the system but never bought the flight. Hence, my surprise when I got numerous email from Air China that my flight with PNR ****** was eligible for bidding for a business class upgrade.

As you might have guessed, I am just wondering if I landed a free flight somehow. I have checked my statements and can confirm I was not charged for this tickets (actually never went beyond entering passenger names). Also, the Air China lady said she couldn't locate the PNR. So I'm pretty sure its a dud. But I just wanted to ask the experts opinion here.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Feb 1, 19 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by wariobahn (Post 30728657)
So I was browsing flights and briefly considered buying an Air China flight. I filled my details on the system but never bought the flight. Hence, my surprise when I got numerous email from Air China that my flight with PNR ****** was eligible for bidding for a business class upgrade.

As you might have guessed, I am just wondering if I landed a free flight somehow. I have checked my statements and can confirm I was not charged for this tickets (actually never went beyond entering passenger names). Also, the Air China lady said she couldn't locate the PNR. So I'm pretty sure its a dud. But I just wanted to ask the experts opinion here.

It's not uncommon for Chinese airlines to create and hold a booking if you go through the motions. They'll hold the reservation for a few days or so. Likely that generated the 'bid for upgrade' email.

While I don't recall having seen this from Air China, I have for airlines like Spring and Jueyao.

Cris L Feb 2, 19 2:19 pm

This happened to me some years ago with a KLM booking. Lhr to Tokyo (return) in business class. The reservation was online and would even allow me to check in. I had made the booking approximately in April for travel in November.

I advised them that I wouldn't be travelling and requested a refund. At that point I was messaged and asked for proof of payment, which of course I didn't have. I didn't answer that email and never heard any more.

wariobahn Feb 2, 19 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Cris L (Post 30732194)
This happened to me some years ago with a KLM booking. Lhr to Tokyo (return) in business class. The reservation was online and would even allow me to check in. I had made the booking approximately in April for travel in November.

I advised them that I wouldn't be travelling and requested a refund. At that point I was messaged and asked for proof of payment, which of course I didn't have. I didn't answer that email and never heard any more.

Haha I'd have taken that flight if I were you. In my case the PNR couldn't be validated so I had to give up on it.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Feb 2, 19 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by wariobahn (Post 30732212)
Haha I'd have taken that flight if I were you. In my case the PNR couldn't be validated so I had to give up on it.

Unfortunately they do ask for payment on these before being allowed to fly.

wariobahn Feb 2, 19 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 30732286)
Unfortunately they do ask for payment on these before being allowed to fly.

I mean if he was able to check in online and generate a boarding pass, who would ask him for money?

YuropFlyer Feb 2, 19 4:51 pm

You could at least have used the lounge (with a guest!) and maximized your "business class experience" ;)

SK AAR Feb 4, 19 11:03 am

The OP would never had gotten this far (into the lounge). If prof of payment will be required at check-in, OLCI or at least issue of BP will be blocked until an agent has checked and confirmed your payment/credit card.