FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Did I just get a free flight? Never purchased but got PNR in Air China email.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:20 pm
LHR/MEL/Europe FF
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by wariobahn
So I was browsing flights and briefly considered buying an Air China flight. I filled my details on the system but never bought the flight. Hence, my surprise when I got numerous email from Air China that my flight with PNR ****** was eligible for bidding for a business class upgrade.

As you might have guessed, I am just wondering if I landed a free flight somehow. I have checked my statements and can confirm I was not charged for this tickets (actually never went beyond entering passenger names). Also, the Air China lady said she couldn't locate the PNR. So I'm pretty sure its a dud. But I just wanted to ask the experts opinion here.
It's not uncommon for Chinese airlines to create and hold a booking if you go through the motions. They'll hold the reservation for a few days or so. Likely that generated the 'bid for upgrade' email.

While I don't recall having seen this from Air China, I have for airlines like Spring and Jueyao.