Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Airlines - feedback?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:14 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by absoluy
I think most travel insurance policies won't cover travel that's booked before you buy the insurance (usually it's got to be purchased within ~2 weeks of buying the policy).
Is that a UK thing? Certainly not been my experience when buying travel insurance.
Originally Posted by moondog
This is actually the root of the problem. HNA went on a 3-year spending spree, and the underlying assets are not producing anywhere near enough income for them to stay current on their debt obligations. As such, they are trying to sell off companies in a frenzy.
Yep. But they key is that they've still got assets to sell if they need to. Other airlines are running out of furniture to burn.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TBD
Is that a UK thing? Certainly not been my experience when buying travel insurance.
I think it’s more of a US thing. The policies I’ve looked at need to be purchased within 14 days of the travel purchase.

If you have any recommendarions for policies that don’t have this restriction then I would be greatful if you could share! If they have cheap policies I’d take one out just in case.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:42 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I've used TravelInsured and Allianz before. If I recall correctly, both companies asked when I first paid for the trip, but no mention that my >60 days gap was an issue.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HNA and the Chinese government aren't letting HK Airlines go under. Just relax. Chinese airlines (and I view HK Airlines as one of them) offer new planes and generally good service at some incredible pricing. They currently offer way better value than CX or any of the American carriers, especially with the cheap biz class fares on offer.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by moondog
The financial stability of the entire group is pretty troubling to me.
Be careful, they can sue you!

As of the topic itself: HKA are okay, Economy is decent, Business is acceptable, their new post-renovation (well, not really new, it's there for some years already) lounge at HKG is really nice, as I can remember (been there once and long ago).
I stopped flying with them once started redeeming Avios on CX. But if I were forced to book on cash, I could fly with HKA, no issues. Better than most of Chinese airlines anyway.

You can credit miles to Fortune Wings (HU). Not too useful IMO, but better than nothing.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:49 pm

I have to book a HKG-SHA/PVG one-way for August and I am unsure about what to do. The news about Hong Kong Airlines worries me but their fare is almost half price of CX, and being a party of 3 it all adds up.

Is it fair to say that, in the event of the airline going down, I would be more protected if booking through an OTA? In the end I will have a contract with them and they should reimburse the money should they not be able to deliver the service sold. Am I right?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:56 pm

Just pay with a credit card and do a chargeback if they go down. The risk is that if you still want to go on the trip, then ticket prices on other airlines will be even higher than they are now.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Dean1953
I’m scheduled to fly them LAX to BKK March 11 in mistake fare business class purchase. I wanted to push the flight to as late in the price range ($600.00) of the tickets offered because I had just been to Thailand the previous April. Now, I’m getting nervous reading about Hong Kong Airlines over the last two days. I don’t have to go for any compelling reason, and I can Cecelia and get back all but $250 of the cost of the ticket. I have no idea if I can make a claim through my credit card company if they cease operations. I’ve got about 10 days to decide if I’ll cancel before Hong Kong Airlines has to make a sizable payment to creditors and I’m leaning toward cancelling.
Very unlikely you will be able to change the dates on that ticket.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:13 pm

I actually checked on changing the date but it would cost me $4,100.00. I do type in google daily “Hong Kong financial problems “ but haven’t seen anything since the first of the year. It looks like I’ll be leaving March 11.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dean1953
I actually checked on changing the date but it would cost me $4,100.00. I do type in google daily “Hong Kong financial problems “ but haven’t seen anything since the first of the year. It looks like I’ll be leaving March 11.
Is your version of Google filtered? The flood of bad news has certainly continued to flow with reckless abandon. I don't think you have much to worry about because March 11 is fast approaching, but the AKL pullout is definitely a cause for concern for people with further out long-haul reservations.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:28 pm

I don’t go past the first page on Google. I shows the 10-12 articles that I’ve already read , between the middle of December and January 14. I made my decision a month ago to keep my ticket and take my chances and dispute the cost of the ticket with my credit card company if the flight is a no go. I don’t fly back until March 27. My worst case scenario is I get to Thailand and sometime in the following two weeks, the airline shuts down and I’m left to buy a ticket home on my own at a steep price. I’ve already checked Google today for articles but will check again more throughly.

10 minutes later, I put in Google South China Morning Post/Hong Kong airlines and see what you are talking about. Being that even my return is 6 weeks away, I think that I’m fairly safe, as any further cut backs on their North American routes would take months to implement. Famous last words.

Last edited by Dean1953; Feb 14, 2019 at 8:36 pm
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: BAEC
Might be worth checking the terms of your travel insurance to verify that failure of airline is covered and how your insurance would remediate, and if you don't have any buy some now.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:44 am

With HX's financial woes widely publicized for some time already, 1 insurance agent in Hong Kong has already put out a big statement they won't cover this airline's failure. Check your insurer's T&Cs carefully.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...nce-firm-pulls
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:44 pm

I’ve never bought travel insurance but may look at whether some companies will cover me in case of airlines stop running. At this point, HX is cutting back international operations, preferring to concentrate on operations in Asia. Those routes that have been recently cut back aren’t affected until late May. I think that I’m relatively safe, flying out of LAX for March.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:22 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
We did the mistake fare business class LAX-HKG-BKK about a month ago (mid-January).

The A350 had the cuddle seat configuration which we loved as a couple (had to call to get seats assigned as their website is a bit of a disaster). Good IFE including tail and nose cameras. Service was great....about what you would expect from an Asian carrier in J. ^

Their lounge at HKG is enormous and well-stocked.

Some photos and a video of the takeoff from the perspective of the cameras here: https://readyjetroam.com/2019/01/29/...enture-begins/

Our return flight is in May. Right now it shows the other a350 config which is herringbone like the Cathay seats - no cuddle config.

Last edited by kokonutz; Feb 24, 2019 at 1:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.