Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone taken China Eastern Air recently?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:51 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Just wanted to let y'all know I posted some pics and reviews in the DL forum on my experience with MU last night DPS-PVG-LAX.

I know there are rules about double posting things but I figured the links would be okay as it provides solid info to two places people are looking for MU info.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28123948-post67.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28123971-post68.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28123988-post69.html
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:13 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

2017 China Eastern J Menus for anyone interested:

(This was PVG-LAX in April 2017)
Attached Images           
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:17 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

2017 China Eastern J Menus continued....
Attached Images         
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
2017 China Eastern J Menus for anyone interested:
Nice, thank you! I've just selected my meal for my upcoming flight to LA.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Flew China Eastern and Shanghai Airlines JFK-PVG-BKK last weekend, will fly back this coming weekend. I concur with the others. MU 77W seats great, soft product just ok, food so so and crew hospitality variable-- mainland standard at best.

FWIW, Shanghai Airlines' 737-800 in Business is considerably better than MU's A320, particularly when it comes to seat pitch.

Fliers should be aware: according to CAAC regulations, mobile phones may not be used in flight EVEN IN AIRPLANE MODE. So if you were planning on using your iPhone to listen to all the music you have on it, or to play games, don't count on it. Tablets are, however, allowed.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Flew China Eastern and Shanghai Airlines JFK-PVG-BKK last weekend, will fly back this coming weekend. I concur with the others. MU 77W seats great, soft product just ok, food so so and crew hospitality variable-- mainland standard at best.

FWIW, Shanghai Airlines' 737-800 in Business is considerably better than MU's A320, particularly when it comes to seat pitch.

Fliers should be aware: according to CAAC regulations, mobile phones may not be used in flight EVEN IN AIRPLANE MODE. So if you were planning on using your iPhone to listen to all the music you have on it, or to play games, don't count on it. Tablets are, however, allowed.
And I suspect they get more compliance than most other airlines would.

That announcement from "The security officer" gets a bit more attention than the average safety video does :-)
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: Accor Plat, AA Gold, UA Silv, DL Silv,
Originally Posted by YariGuy
Nice, thank you! I've just selected my meal for my upcoming flight to LA.
I'm flying in J to from JFK to PVG in August and I have my meal planned out as well
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe
PVG (as most every airport) has numerous monitors showing departing flights. They are not that hard to find.

I will certainly challenge the truthfulness of something that I know for a fact is false.
I have asked if you were there on the morning of February 24 , 2017 as I was .
With ample time to reply you have not answered which is no surprise . I am certain that you were not there at that time . Since you were not there at the time described you can not "know for a fact " that what I reported is false . Essentially you have called me a liar in two of your posts . This is a serious insult for me . I do not tell lies . I do not write lies .
In your conceit that you are an expert you presume to lecture me and insult me . Do you even know which terminal I was discussing ? Is it not possible there was some maintenance or revision underway which could explain monitors not present ? Have you ever actually been to Shanghai Pudong Airport ?
I suggest that you should be more respectful of others and not quite so impulsive in your postings .
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Transit procedures have changed a bit at PVG. Used to be a small side door to the left of the small MU transfer counter at Terminal 1. Now the transfer counter has moved and the pathway for transit passengers has changed. There are big arrows on the floor and a big red sign hanging from the ceiling. Upon reaching the middle of the terminal on the arrivals level, you pass the temperature scan checkpoint as if entering China immigration. Then you turn left toward the new larger transfer desk (no need to stop if you have a BP), then go through doors into a transit checkpoint. There are automated gates to check passports and BP's, with someone there to assist you. If that doesn't work, you go to a counter for a manual check, which can be slow. After clearing that check, you go up an escalator and this deposits you into the zone between outbound Chinese Immigration and the regular security checkpoint. You pass the same security checkpoint like all other outbound pax. Business Class pax may used "doors" 2 or 3 if operating. Past this point, you're in the general airside departures zone. Turn left to find the escalators up to the aim China Eastern lounge.
Old May 31, 2017, 7:02 pm

Flew MU again last weekend, JFK-PVG-BKK in J, with the last segment on Shanghai Airlines. Service issues same as before. Seat wasn't as good because my particular one didn't go fully flat properly. The smoking pilots situation is totally out of control. We were in row 7, the mini cabin on the 77W, and were awakened to the smell of cigarette smoke numerous times. I complained to the flight attendants. I made them more securely close the curtain with the F cabin, which must have had a veritable haze of cigarette smoke in it. It is, in a word, revolting. And we had it on nearly every MU/FM flight, maybe 7 out of 8. The only time we didn't notice was when we were farther back in the big J cabin.

So, I'm done flying MU. Can't stand it anymore. I'll pay extra for a smoke-free cabin.

And I have half a mind to sue them for exposure to second-hand smoke on ostensibly non-smoking flights.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: Accor Plat, AA Gold, UA Silv, DL Silv,
Turn left to find the escalators up to the aim China Eastern lounge.
How's the MU lounge in PVG? I have a 5 hour layover there and wondering if it's worth going into town for soup dumplings, or if the lounge is decent enough to stay in.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Leverage
How's the MU lounge in PVG? I have a 5 hour layover there and wondering if it's worth going into town for soup dumplings, or if the lounge is decent enough to stay in.
Some FTers that reported about the new lounge were positively surprised by it. For 5hrs probably the best option.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Leverage
Much better than the small dim dark dank dingy dirty old lounges. This is big, spread over two floors, airy, and has lots of natural light. Chairs aren't the most comfortable for sitting or lounging long term. Food isn't anything to write home about, except the noodle bar can be decent. Place is kept fairly clean. Service is mainland standard.

I wouldn't bother trying to get into the city on a five hour transit unless you feel compelled to ride the maglev for the sake of it.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 7:35 pm

Note the lounge has 2 levels. When entering you go up to the first level where the food is. The second level has no food (drinks and a bit of junk), but much quieter, showers and massage chairs.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:05 pm

Flew MU again last weekend, JFK-PVG-BKK in J, with the last segment on Shanghai Airlines. Service issues same as before. Seat wasn't as good because my particular one didn't go fully flat properly. The smoking pilots situation is totally out of control. We were in row 7, the mini cabin on the 77W, and were awakened to the smell of cigarette smoke numerous times. I complained to the flight attendants. I made them more securely close the curtain with the F cabin, which must have had a veritable haze of cigarette smoke in it. It is, in a word, revolting. And we had it on nearly every MU/FM flight, maybe 7 out of 8. The only time we didn't notice was when we were farther back in the big J cabin.

So, I'm done flying MU. Can't stand it anymore. I'll pay extra for a smoke-free cabin.

And I have half a mind to sue them for exposure to second-hand smoke on ostensibly non-smoking flights.
I still have no seen the smoking issue (though it was reported by enough that I certainly believe you).

My negatives are:

. Rediculous scheduling on the regional flights where they are almost certainly going to end up late.

. On-line services are at best flaky. This is exasperated when combined with the limited check-in window at out-stations.

Still worth the bucks saved in my book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.