Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone taken China Eastern Air recently?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Airstairs were rolled up to the aircraft promptly but we were held on board for nearly two hours. The crew was not given any information from ground staff for a long time. The wait went on so long with no end in sight that first the pilot lost his sh!t at the ground crew (we were watching), then the purser did too. It was ridiculous, or seemed so. Later, we learned that about 15 aircraft diverted to Hongqiao, including a few widebodies, and the Immigration hall was just too small to hold everyone in a line. They kept us on the plane until there was room in the hall for us to stand.

Weather happens. Diversions happen. I get that. But MU, and Hongqiao airport staff and security, could have done a lot better to make this disruption not quite as stressful as it was.
I would have lost my s* too! You should have IMO.

Long story short, never connect in PEK or PVG unless you have to.

Where was your final destination?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:34 pm

February 24th 2017 we flew BKK PVG NRT on China Eastern . The check in window at BKK opened late , boarding was late and takeoff was a little over an hour late . The CE website did not work for online check in . At PVG we were bused to a far terminal and had to pass through security again . When we exited security there was no sign , no map , no schedule posted for flights and gates . Because our arrival was late we were getting anxious about our connecting flights . We finally found someone in a CE uniform who told us to go upstairs and ask the lounge concierge .The lounge concierge was annoyed that I bothered her with questions when I was not "even a Gold card holder "
We made it to our gate and our second flight was late also ( notice a trend? ) We arrived at Narita an hour and a half late . Fortunately we still had time for our connection.
On the plane the people were helpful and pleasant . On the ground people were not very helpful and often rude . The airline was disorganized and unconcerned . That's okay , we'll fly with somebody else in the future .
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wasn't the status of your connecting flight posted on the monitors in the airport? You could also have checked it on your phone.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 5:09 am

What monitors?

There were no monitors . There were no signs . My phone did not work there .
I had a written schedule but , that was invalid by the time we arrived .
I am thankful we were able to leave even though late . PVG was rather unpleasant for our short time there .
Old Mar 5, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Dalo, I understand the general tone of your posts, but there monitors at PVG that you would easily find within a minute of exiting transit security. And they also forced you to stop at the MU transit desk. That was an easy time to ask about gate/schedule.

On your other points:

. Yeah, the checkin window at BKK does not open until T-2:30 (T-3:00 would be nicer). And I suspect that flight is almost always delayed as it has a very short turn around from the inbound PVG->BKK.

. Online check-in worked for me, but took some real effort. But they still tell you to go to the checkin widow even if it does. They claim this is because airport security will not accept the paper, but that is BS. I though about skipping the check-in counter but decided it was not worth the risk.

. Bus gates at PVG will presumably be common until the new terminal opens in 2-3 years. One good point though is that if you are up front they have a small buss for you so the wait is not bad.

. Every international hub I know of has transit security. I do agree though that in PVG it is somewhat "heavy" (shoes off, computers out, frequent pat downs), while at many it is light.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:43 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by exwannabe

. Every international hub I know of has transit security. I do agree though that in PVG it is somewhat "heavy" (shoes off, computers out, frequent pat downs), while at many it is light.
The two times I transited RUH, no transfer security check occurred. That was back in 2013...though, on a recent transfer through JED, I did notice security.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Life. Marriott T/Life, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond,UA 1K
MU583 - Hard product solid, staff and food vastly improved. Ground Communication weak

Took the 777 from PVG to LAX arrived today, sitting in the small cabin that houses the 2 rows of business class horizontal seating and F cabins.

Seats were comfortable vs CX and BA
Food was 2 meal services with Chinese and western option, appetizers, dessert and cheese and ice cream courses., as good US carriers, maybe slightly below Asian carriers but only just.
Cabin. Too warm with Duvet but OK without.
Staff. Attentive and smiling. Their English is limited and I always think I'd be left hanging in an emergency. Comparable with recent experiences on Korean, Thai and Asiana
Hard product solid
Soft Product good.
Lounge good

We were delayed due to flow control, so were Delta and China and United, we were 3 hours late leaving and 1 hour late arriving. This is where CE let themselves down. Communication was weak. The Board in airport showed "delayed". The Gate agent kept saying no idea on boarding time. We went to the lounge after 2 hours where no one spoke any English and their screens said the plane had gone, we logged onto wifi and Flightaware showed the flight left 90 minutes ago and was 1000km away, so we walked back to the gate and the flight suddenly began boarding. Agree with previous posters that connecting via Shanghai is more stressful than ICN/HKG but we were coming in from Bali and for 80,000 Skymiles o/w in Business Class would probably do this again.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by GLOBALFLYERCT
Took the 777 from PVG to LAX arrived today, sitting in the small cabin that houses the 2 rows of business class horizontal seating and F cabins.

Seats were comfortable vs CX and BA
Food was 2 meal services with Chinese and western option, appetizers, dessert and cheese and ice cream courses., as good US carriers, maybe slightly below Asian carriers but only just.
Cabin. Too warm with Duvet but OK without.
Staff. Attentive and smiling. Their English is limited and I always think I'd be left hanging in an emergency. Comparable with recent experiences on Korean, Thai and Asiana
Hard product solid
Soft Product good.
Lounge good

We were delayed due to flow control, so were Delta and China and United, we were 3 hours late leaving and 1 hour late arriving. This is where CE let themselves down. Communication was weak. The Board in airport showed "delayed". The Gate agent kept saying no idea on boarding time. We went to the lounge after 2 hours where no one spoke any English and their screens said the plane had gone, we logged onto wifi and Flightaware showed the flight left 90 minutes ago and was 1000km away, so we walked back to the gate and the flight suddenly began boarding. Agree with previous posters that connecting via Shanghai is more stressful than ICN/HKG but we were coming in from Bali and for 80,000 Skymiles o/w in Business Class would probably do this again.
How are the air traffic control delays and weather delays at PuDong these days? This report does not bode well. I have two transits through PVG coming up, one a fairly touchy one. Another diversion like we suffered last time would be terrible.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I thought I'd give a brief review of a MU experience I had a couple months ago on a short redeye from PNH to PVG; check-in opened about 2 hours prior to departure, took about 30 minutes to get to the front of the line with agents somewhat aloof at PNH. Inbound flight was late into PNH and boarding did not start until 20 minutes after scheduled departure, luckily I had Priority Pass so I enjoyed the wonderful Plaza Premium lounge in PNH. The flight was on what appeared to be a newer A321 aircraft, after the doors were closed, I asked a flight attendant to move to the empty exit row in English, which she granted when I confirmed I could understand the emergency procedures in Mandarin. A snack bag was offered to passengers shortly after takeoff and the flight was mostly uneventful, no drama. We arrived in PVG early and appeared to take the scenic route to the gate to burn time. My father and I appeared to be the only non-PRC citizens on the flight.

TL,DR - a decent experience on an intra-Asia redeye.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:22 pm

No monitors , they weren't there

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Dalo, I understand the general tone of your posts, but there monitors at PVG that you would easily find within a minute of exiting transit security. And they also forced you to stop at the MU transit desk. That was an easy time to ask about gate/schedule.

On your other points:

. Yeah, the checkin window at BKK does not open until T-2:30 (T-3:00 would be nicer). And I suspect that flight is almost always delayed as it has a very short turn around from the inbound PVG->BKK.

. Online check-in worked for me, but took some real effort. But they still tell you to go to the checkin widow even if it does. They claim this is because airport security will not accept the paper, but that is BS. I though about skipping the check-in counter but decided it was not worth the risk.

. Bus gates at PVG will presumably be common until the new terminal opens in 2-3 years. One good point though is that if you are up front they have a small buss for you so the wait is not bad.

Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:31 pm

The monitors were not there . I am experienced and know to look for monitors and know what they look like . For whatever reason there were no monitors to be found . It puzzles me that you would challenge the truthfulness of my report . It also bothers me that you presume to lecture me that it was all my fault .
I have truthfully reported disorganization and poor customer service in this one instance .
Your denials and excuses cause me to wonder if you are on the payroll for China Eastern or PVG .
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Dalo
The monitors were not there . I am experienced and know to look for monitors and know what they look like . For whatever reason there were no monitors to be found . It puzzles me that you would challenge the truthfulness of my report . It also bothers me that you presume to lecture me that it was all my fault .
I have truthfully reported disorganization and poor customer service in this one instance .
Your denials and excuses cause me to wonder if you are on the payroll for China Eastern or PVG .
PVG (as most every airport) has numerous monitors showing departing flights. They are not that hard to find.

I will certainly challenge the truthfulness of something that I know for a fact is false.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:23 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by GLOBALFLYERCT
we were coming in from Bali and for 80,000 Skymiles o/w in Business Class would probably do this again.
Hah! We are doing thing EXACT thing next week!

We flew SQ LAX-ICN-SIN-DPS 2 weeks ago in J, and that entire experience was a 10/10. ^^

So....with flying MU for the first time I have 3 questions:

1. Does MU still provide the Clarins products in the J Amenity Kits?

2. Are the showers at the PVG lounge stocked with decent toiletry products?

3. Are they sticklers when it comes to weighing carry-on luggage? I don't like checking bags and my legal carry-on definitely weighs over the usual 25lbs but less than 50lbs.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:55 am

Exwannabe , were you at Shanghai PVG airport the morning of February 24 , 2017 ?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by 355F1
Hah! We are doing thing EXACT thing next week!

We flew SQ LAX-ICN-SIN-DPS 2 weeks ago in J, and that entire experience was a 10/10. ^^

So....with flying MU for the first time I have 3 questions:

1. Does MU still provide the Clarins products in the J Amenity Kits?

2. Are the showers at the PVG lounge stocked with decent toiletry products?

3. Are they sticklers when it comes to weighing carry-on luggage? I don't like checking bags and my legal carry-on definitely weighs over the usual 25lbs but less than 50lbs.
1. Yes, on long-haul.

2. Don't know. Wouldn't expect much, though the new lounge is worlds better than the old dark caverns.

3. No. They don't weigh them at checkin, and J pax seem to get a pass (meaning well accommodated on most things).

Have very low expectations for your intra-Asia flights.

MU isn't in the same league as SQ, not even close. But the new long-haul seats licensed from CX are great and the staff tries, though soft product is for sure rough around the edges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.