Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by Wayneslife
Thank you @Jetsmarter after I signed up and took one trip you canceled my membership because I made a complaint about your service publicly. You canceled my membership and kept my $13,000.00 overnight from me because I wasn't happy with your product you delivered. Most companies hear a complaint and they address it with their client and try to solve the issue to keep everyone happy. But not @Jetsmarter they prefer to steal your money and say [Moderator edit]!! Well of course they steal your money because they can't give back what they don't have. They can't even pay employees on time. Most people know what is going on over there and if they don't they'll figure it out. You are just as bad as Madoff except your hiding behind a mobile app doing it #Trash #Scum #TheTruthShallSetYouFree #UberXOfTheSky #Jetsmarter #TheyShallCutYourMembershipIfYouDrinkToMuchWaterBo ttlesOnThePlane ANYONE ELSE HAVE ISSUES WITH THEM LET THE WORLD KNOW.....STEALING SHALL NOT BE PERMITTED @PCNY
Originally Posted by DLH441
Point 13 in their membership agreement :

"13. NON-DISPARAGEMENT

Each Member agrees to refrain from making any negative or disparaging comments to anyone (either orally or in writing) about JetSmarter or any of its affiliates or their business or operations or any of their respective officers, directors or employees; provided, however, that this provision shall not be interpreted to prevent Member from making any truthful statement to his, her or its attorneys or other advisors, or to any court or arbitrator of competent jurisdiction in the context enforcing his, her or its rights under or defending any action with respect to this Agreement."

So basically you can't complain to anyone about JS or they cancel you're membership ? Sounds like a joke !

Where did you complain about JS and why did you complain ?
You don't mention where you live, but as another poster noted non-disparagement clauses are illegal for consumer transactions in California and subject to statutory penalties:

https://www.fenwick.com/FenwickDocum...t_09-17-14.pdf

Interestingly, the California Civil Code actually allows a consumer to make a claim under the provision even if a non-disparagement clause is simply proposed--the company doesn't even have to make an active threat. Like many other clauses in JetSmarter agreement, it's poorly written and wrought with problems.

Last edited by Sykes; Feb 14, 2017 at 10:52 am
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by dval44
I was left at the alter again ~10 minutes before takeoff of a confirmed empty.

It was embarrassing this time as I had friends there.

They said the operator was over their allowed flying time, but didn't call and tell me until 14 minutes before takeoff, when we were already at the FBO. Clearly this information was known prior, as the FBO said "that tail number is not even in the air, you better call the operator."
So what did they do for you, or offer to do? As you can tell from my posts, I am far from a JetSmarter fanboy, but I will say that on the two or three occasions when my flight has been canceled during the confirmation window, my guests and I have been offered reaccommodation on commercial flights.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
- My established broker was at a conference last week and she said, "word on the street is that they are hanging on by a thread."
This I'd be a little bit surprised by. I've done some informal math on their cost structure, etc., and by my numbers they've probably got another 12-18 months with the amount of money they've raised so far. They're definitely not making money, so if we were having this conversation a year from now ( and they hadn't raised more cash or changed pricing ), I'd be very cautious about renewing my membership. But right now, I think you'd be pretty safe.

I suspect most of the traditional brokers are feeling somewhat threatened by them, which might be the source of the 'hanging on by a thread' rumor.

That said, take that $0.02 for what its worth. I have no inside info and could be completely wrong.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by millions
So what did they do for you, or offer to do? As you can tell from my posts, I am far from a JetSmarter fanboy, but I will say that on the two or three occasions when my flight has been canceled during the confirmation window, my guests and I have been offered reaccommodation on commercial flights.
Fair point. The person on the phone was very polite and apologetic and said he wanted to make it right. In the end, it was just lip service and I was tossed around from one "department" to the other. Eventually, the concierge told me that he/she had to check with manager in the morning and would get back to me. They never got back to me.

To be fair, I didn't press the issue.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by dordal
This I'd be a little bit surprised by. I've done some informal math on their cost structure, etc., and by my numbers they've probably got another 12-18 months with the amount of money they've raised so far. They're definitely not making money, so if we were having this conversation a year from now ( and they hadn't raised more cash or changed pricing ), I'd be very cautious about renewing my membership. But right now, I think you'd be pretty safe.

I suspect most of the traditional brokers are feeling somewhat threatened by them, which might be the source of the 'hanging on by a thread' rumor.

That said, take that $0.02 for what its worth. I have no inside info and could be completely wrong.
It's definitely hearsay and a weak point, but thought I would throw it up there.

To your point, I don't know that legit brokers really feel threatened. $10k/hour and $10k/year are vastly different markets. Unless JS can really up their game with the charter biz. But on its face the email about "3 things your broker won't tell you" wasn't even logically consistent and made little sense.

I agree with you that a recent round of funding does boost confidence in solvency, though I'm not sure if you can really know much about their finances unless you have some inside info. For example, the bulk of the new round may have gone to pay down existing debt or accounts payable. You'd also really have to break out membership numbers by specific factors (membership level, etc.). So the back-of-the-envelope may or may not hold up here.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
For what it's worth, I showed this thread to my in-house GC yesterday while we were sitting with the cattle waiting to board a commercial flight. He was adamant that, while needing to see the whole document to make a more informed decision, the non-disparagement clause would almost certainly not hold up in a well-placed suit.

He indicated JS would need to prove that the disparaging remarks were both hurtful to the company and their business as well as exaggerated or incorrect in some way. Or, that the remarks made were intended to directly harm the business, above and beyond complaining about personal experience. He referred to the clause as a gatekeeper. Likely has no teeth, but acts as a deterrent.

As also noted above, he said that if a member is based in CA, OR if a member has something like this occur while physically IN CA, JS is likely in a bad spot if action is taken.

All of this with his qualification that he's dealing with 20% of the information.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:07 am

What a bad choice !

deleted

Last edited by rob777; Sep 24, 2017 at 12:55 pm Reason: pressions
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:42 pm

Here's an educated opinion on how this company is operating:

http://www.airstreamjets.com/is-jets...scheme-part-1/

http://www.airstreamjets.com/jetsmarter-ponzi-scheme-part-2/
Old Feb 16, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by OptionsCLE
Well... I think its pretty obvious to anybody on here that JS is losing money and funding that with VC dollars. That is pretty much the playbook of every 'unicorn' startup, so does that make them all Ponzi schemes? Uber, for example, loses money on every ride: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...er-losses.html

The article seems like it was written by somebody with axe to grind...e.g. "the Business Aviation Industry and the honest professionals it employs do not want to see this industry with yet another black eye." and "I think their scheme will impress even the likes of Bernie Madoff."

The real question is if there's a viable long-term business here. There might be... empty leg flights are most likely profitable, and I suspect they do fine on member initiated shuttles. But losing $22K per cross country shuttle isn't going to work. If it does survive, there will be some significant business model changes.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:12 pm

Tons of empty legs

Credit where credit is due: there are currently 70 empty legs on the app. Many new airplanes I haven't seems before (jetlynx 604s, for example).

Is this just random fluctuation or did they add some inventory?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by OptionsCLE
I'm far from a JS fanboy, but this article is poorly written and contains very little in the way of hard facts.

Further, it's written by the founder of "Air Stream Jets," which makes it far from objective.

To be fair to JetSmarter, I really wouldn't use it to form any opinions.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: UA Gold, TK Gold, AA Gold
Credit where credit is due: there are currently 70 empty legs on the app. Many new airplanes I haven't seems before (jetlynx 604s, for example).

Is this just random fluctuation or did they add some inventory?
In Europe there's nothing new..
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
I'm far from a JS fanboy, but this article is poorly written and contains very little in the way of hard facts.

Further, it's written by the founder of "Air Stream Jets," which makes it far from objective.

To be fair to JetSmarter, I really wouldn't use it to form any opinions.
I also don't think he properly understands what a Ponzi scheme is... A fledgling company that is constantly trying to develop new revenue streams in order to stave off debt from operating losses is not Ponzi. It's building a house of cards, but on the surface it's not necessarily illegal (could be depending on how, but the author would have no knowledge of that).

I do think he captures much of the immediate and short term burden facing the company, however.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:07 pm

Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:11 pm

Uncomfortable flight?

Originally Posted by rob777
Hey guys, just wanted to share my experience with JS.

I've been a member since November 2016, they've convinced me that Jetsmarter was an amazing company, and that they're a billion dollar company now because they're truly unique,.. So I thought that I would give it a shot.

So I became a member and a week later, I heard that a friend of mine got a promotion, he became a member without paying the initiation fees. That's worth about a First class ticket, I asked my flight rep why he got the promotion and I didn't, he was a bit embarrassed and told me that sometimes they run promotions like this and that he couldn't do anything as it was already paid.

So I wasn't really happy, but I can't complain because my friend got lucky.

But since the beginning of my membership, they reduced the flight deals availability in Europe, no more Legacy's flights (Which was a big selling point of my flight rep). Shuttles are overcrowded, with only 2 shuttles token, you're obliged to plan your trip weeks in advance to get a seat, while waiting for your flight you can't book any seat on another shuttle as you're limited to 1-2 reservations at the same time.

So I can't use the shuttle the way I wanted to, and the deals in Europe are disappearing at an alarming rate ! I'm afraid that they're shutting down XLS+ flights as I'm seeing less and less flights. And when I see them, it's with a really short notice (probably wanted by Jetsmarter to optimize chances to not have customers flying the empty leg)

My point is that normally the service and the prestations of a company are growing with time, with jetsmarter every month you have less benefits that the month before. I'm from the UK and when I got my membership they were a lot of legacy flights to and from my airport. Now it's really exceptional when a bigger plane than a mustang is going there.

I went to the US, my shuttle was completely full, it was really not a comfortable flight. I would rather fly in a business class than a full intercontinental shuttle.

Being a member of Jetsmarter was probably a bad choice, because of their bad customer service and mostly because they're changing perks and benefits every month. I'll certainly not renew my membership. Few flights were cool though
Hello hope all is well. Just wondering about more details on your comments concerning the flight being over crowed and uncomfortable. Was it just seating specs? Seats facing each other making it awkward? Narrow seats? Clutter in aisle way? Combination of a few things? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.