Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2016, 11:54 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by oenophilist
Those were kinda my thoughts as well. I've only had one flight cancel after I signed the invoice, and that was for mechanical. I've had a few that were on the app but never confirmed, i.e. I was never sent the invoice to sign off on it. As far as I am concerned, until I sign the invoice, I don't have a confirmed flight and it is subject to change. Once I've signed the invoice (and I'm on the hook for a no-show), then the only reason it should ever cancel is for mechanical reasons, and that should be extraordinarily rare.
Yeah, OAK-VNY was a mechanical. And it definitely was... we sat at the airport for an hour plus while the '24 hour emergency mechanic' poked around in the engine. Finally they decided it was a six hour repair, and they were going to call it for the night. Pilots were the nicest guys in the world, and really great about keeping us informed.

Not totally complaining about all the cancellations -- just frustrating... you can't exactly make plans with people at T-5 hrs. Even T-24 is tough. So I had four sets of plans, with four sets of people, only to tell them each 'haha, just kidding!' Everybody gets it ( and I warn people when I book the flight that it may cancel ), but 0 of 4 still a pretty rough record.

Hopefully this week will have one or two good empties, and will be better on the cancellation front.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 4:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dordal
Yeah, OAK-VNY was a mechanical. And it definitely was... we sat at the airport for an hour plus while the '24 hour emergency mechanic' poked around in the engine. Finally they decided it was a six hour repair, and they were going to call it for the night. Pilots were the nicest guys in the world, and really great about keeping us informed.

Not totally complaining about all the cancellations -- just frustrating... you can't exactly make plans with people at T-5 hrs. Even T-24 is tough. So I had four sets of plans, with four sets of people, only to tell them each 'haha, just kidding!' Everybody gets it ( and I warn people when I book the flight that it may cancel ), but 0 of 4 still a pretty rough record.

Hopefully this week will have one or two good empties, and will be better on the cancellation front.
For the other cancellations, had you already received and signed the invoice?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:48 am

For the other cancellations, had you already received and signed the invoice?
No, all before the invoice.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: QF LTG
No, all before the invoice.
If it was before the invoice was signed there wasn't really a flight to be canceled.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
If it was before the invoice was signed there wasn't really a flight to be canceled.
While technical true, the novelty of JS empty legs wears thin pretty fast after a spate of same day "cancellations". It was one of the reasons that I gave up on them. I discovered that I have far better things to do than check my app twice an hour all day long, then book a flight only to have it pulled 6 hours before departure. And even if the flight isn't canceled, unless you buy out the plane, you are sharing the plane with others, unlike the original model when I joined.

As my wife opined... "well, if we have to share the plane, then it isn't private, is it?"

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 6, 2016 at 1:01 pm
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
I've had two post-invoice cancellations in the last two weeks. It has been pretty frustrating.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sykes
I've had two post-invoice cancellations in the last two weeks. It has been pretty frustrating.
I've only had one post-invoice cancellation, and JS was very very apologetic about it.

That being said, if you are on the hook for paying if you cancel post-invoice, there should be some consideration if the plane cancels post-invoice. Like a flight credit of some kind. That seems fair.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
I've only had one post-invoice cancellation, and JS was very very apologetic about it.
Yeah. I've seen mentions in this thread about JS arranging alternate transportation for late cancellations, but on all of mine (two in the last two weeks, plus one about a month ago) the response was a slightly nicer version of "deal with it--we told you about this when you signed up"--not even apologetic at all.

I fully recognize what I signed up for and the value that I've gotten out of the empty legs, but it definitely furthers the narrative that they just don't care.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
There isn't any more or less of a flight to be cancelled before or after the invoice. There's a common misconception on here that the invoice somehow 'confirms' the flight, and I think that may have been true long ago, but if you read the terms and conditions today, Jetsmarter can cancel any empty leg flight right up until departure:

An Empty Leg can be cancelled at any time with or without advance notice to Member due to scheduling changes, mechanical issues with the aircraft, pre and post Empty Leg flight cancellations or schedule changes, a ground hold, crew duty limitations, medical condition of the crew, and any other reason the operator provides for a cancellation of an Empty Leg.
Section 4.d. if you're interested.

The only thing confirming the invoice does is:

1. Adds you to the pax manifest with the operator.
2. Puts you on the hook for the no-show fee ($1,000 or the cost of a seat, whichever is greater).

It does not commit the operator to flying the flight, any more than they're committed before the invoice is sent.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

There isn't any more or less of a flight to be cancelled before or after the invoice. There's a common misconception on here that the invoice somehow 'confirms' the flight, and I think that may have been true long ago, but if you read the terms and conditions today, Jetsmarter can cancel any empty leg flight right up until departure:

Section 4.d. if you're interested.

The only thing confirming the invoice does is:

1. Adds you to the pax manifest with the operator.
2. Puts you on the hook for the no-show fee ($1,000 or the cost of a seat, whichever is greater).

It does not commit the operator to flying the flight, any more than they're committed before the invoice is sent.
While the right to cancel is there, I don't believe that this is entirely accurate.

Once they send you the invoice, they are purchasing the empty leg on your behalf from the operator. That commits the operator to fly the route. The operator normally can't simply change the routing for no reason. However, things happen, such as mechanical, that cause the plane not to fly at all.

At least that is my understanding. They are on the hook to pay the operator once the transaction takes place.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:37 pm

While the right to cancel is there, I don't believe that this is entirely accurate.

Once they send you the invoice, they are purchasing the empty leg on your behalf from the operator. That commits the operator to fly the route. The operator normally can't simply change the routing for no reason. However, things happen, such as mechanical, that cause the plane not to fly at all.

At least that is my understanding. They are on the hook to pay the operator once the transaction takes place.
No, the operator is definitely not on the hook. And I'm not sure they should be, either... if Mr. Big in SBA cancels his trip, it doesn't really make sense to fly me down there, only to fly back empty. Given the operational cost of a private jet, just a couple of those and the overall Jetsmarter deal would end up unprofitable for the operator.

There's a lot that's messed up about JS, but I'm actually not sure this aspect of the program is 'broken'. Still, it's super frustrating to make four sets of plans, with four sets of people, only to have to cancel them all.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
There's a lot that's messed up about JS, but I'm actually not sure this aspect of the program is 'broken'. Still, it's super frustrating to make four sets of plans, with four sets of people, only to have to cancel them all.
Agreed, for any deal cancellations it has never been the fault of JS. The shuttles are what makes it for me, if I can catch an empty once in a while then that's icing on the cake.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Townshend
Agreed, for any deal cancellations it has never been the fault of JS. The shuttles are what makes it for me, if I can catch an empty once in a while then that's icing on the cake.
Had a super nice shuttle yesterday. Teterboro to Burlington. I requested it for hours before the flight and submitted names within three hours. They confirmed an hour later. Me and my friend had the whole plane to ourselves. It was a great ride. Would've been a $10,000 flight if we bought it
Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by backdoc
I flew my first empty-leg today. I flew from Van Nuys to San Diego, and it was fun. It was a Challenger 300 with a full complement of 8 pax. Great group of guys, great crew.

The bummer was taking AMTRAK back from San Diego with a hundred people standing in the aisles because they WAY oversold the train.

I'll be flying more empty-legs, its kind of addicting.

Steve
The challenger 300 is such a sick plane.

On another note, anyone else taking the first shuttle out of boston to teterboro next wednesday, then down to DC? I'm thinking of taking a quick trip back and forth.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL, UA

Just joined and very interested to see how the actual experience compares with the hype filled marketing. Some anxiousness given the feedback here. Already experienced a huge botch up with them charging more than the invoice stated. hopefully things improve from here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.