Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Only Randy Petersen
Reload this Page >

Q/A with Internet Brands (purchase of FlyerTalk)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Q/A with Internet Brands (purchase of FlyerTalk)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2007, 7:24 am

Programs: LH, BA, DL
Originally Posted by icydog
Since I have been a marketeer all my life I take exception to this remark. If it weren't for the drive to get sales nothing would ever change. No businesses, no new inventions, no social services etc. Everything involves sales of some type. This is a good forum but introducing a company that is the business of selling something is not a bad thing it is a good thing. Why is it good? Because if it fails they will lose their database and then they will no longer exist. Bottom line they will lose money if this forum is not run correctly so they will ultimately either run it correctly or fold. Since they don't wish to end their opportunities here on Flyertalk they should be in gear to offer us more, and that is good.
Also your attitude of taking your marbles and going home does everyone a disservice. If everyone felt this way nothing ever would change. Change for the most part, although anxiety producing, is GOOD!
Change is not good per se, change is not bad per se. As to FT, "never change a running system" comes to mind, but so far there has been no indication that there will be change, so we'll see ...

Your enthusiasm for sales is noted ... I'm not so enthusiastic about data mining and similar activities. Again, no indications that this is on the horizon, but I believe people have a right to be worried and express their concerns.

All that said, my congratulations to Randy and thanks for making FT what it is today! ^
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:40 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Congratulations, Randy. Your efforts over the past years, as well as your expenses, have been monumental.

I notice that this thread has bought out a lot of 'old-timers' who don't post very often any more. It's good to see that people from 1998 still hang around.

Ed
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
good on ya Randy, I bet it was a hard decision and you did not SELL OUT, rather, you did what was necessary and good for all!

Thank you for a great site... I'm leaving now though...

ONLY KIDDING

Seriously, though: Good job so far--let's hope IB can keep up!

BTW (cuz I cant be serious evah) what airlines or credit cards might IB be affiliated with and can we like ever earn MILES from posting here?

WOW!

MM
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
I have been a lurker for a few years and only recently started participating, but I have grown to love your site for its pure functionality. You have certainly created something to be proud of. Congratulations on your sale and your new and continued role within the new FlyerTalk. I am a new member, but I will be here for a long time. Thank you. Congratulations.

Paolo01
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:59 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Randy, thanks for providing us this friendly meeting space for the past years.

Of course there is a bit of disappointment hearing that flyertalk is not fully your baby anymore. But I'm glad to hear that you'll still be around. And hopefully not only for 4 years.

As a volunteer moderator I got to see also some stuff from the "dark side" of an internet community, like spammers or the tactics of a very few members spoiling the experience for the 99,9% others. And I guess that you quite had a load of this on your desk. So I can absolutely understand your move from this perspective alone.

I'd really LOVE to see you around at one of the upcoming DO's in europe - spend some of your money from the deal on a bunch of nice tickets over to us here on this side of the pond and buy us a beer. Your dinner is on me...
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
welcome to FT mate!

hey randy, dont new members have to pay a fee to POINTS.com??

hahaha
Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA,AA,CO,WN,DL,HH
Congrats!

Congratulations on FT reaching "maturity" (i.e., being important enough to be bought out). I hope that all of the "volunteer" time you've spent hosting this site will pay off in the not-too-distant future.

I had no idea that so many of the sites of which I'm a member were owned by Internet Brands! I'll have to start using different names when I log in!
Old Mar 9, 2007, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

congrats randy

welcome to FT JohnMcG ^

sad to see some people felt the need to be so uncivil that randy had to edit their posts for them.

considering their other sites seem to be mainly discussion sites, and premium ad free accounts are going to remain in place, im not sure what to expect..
Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:05 pm

The founder bows out

I'm new here. Was Randy the only founder of the site, or were their other founders who also played a role in building up the site, but who left?

Or did they become Those Whose Names Must Never Be Spoken?
Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:14 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Originally Posted by j7r7r7
I'm new here. Was Randy the only founder of the site, or were their other founders who also played a role in building up the site, but who left?

Or did they become Those Whose Names Must Never Be Spoken?
The Flyertalk synopsis may be helpful for you...
Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:25 pm

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold
Since joining FT, I've learned an awful lot about maximizing upgrades, miles, points and a host of other things; some travel related, some not. I hope that the new owners recognize that the single most important asset here is the collective knowledge of the posters, without that information/advice there really isn't much here.

Like many others, I congratulate Randy and welcome the new owners and hope that they continue letting the site run pretty much as Randy has allowed it to be, otherwise if the knowledge leaves there really isn't much left is there?
Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL, AA, NW, CO, US
InsideFlyer included in sale?

I may have missed this, but I assume InsideFlyer (the mag) is not included in the sale to IB, right? Just Flyertalk. Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:49 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Congratulations Randy! You have the thanks and appreciation of all of us FF's for both starting & maintaining this site for so long. Hope it doesn't change too much with new "owners".
Old Mar 9, 2007, 4:04 pm

Programs: American, United
more from IB...

Following on my post from yesterday, Internet Brands is hopeful that FlyerTalk can become even better in the months and years ahead. But we aren't coming to the site and community with a plan for changes we are anxious to make. Rather, we hope to listen and learn from the users and moderators, and begin to contribute to and support the site however we can. Our first contributions are likely to be more behind the scenes in terms of things such as technical infrastructure. We plan to look to the moderators, the Talk Board, Randy's team and the community as a whole to continue leading FlyerTalk in being the uniquely valuable resource it is.

-- John
Old Mar 9, 2007, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Since I've benefited so much from their support over the years ... may I ask who the folks behind the scenes now work for? The likes of Tim, Mikel, et al ... they've been great and I'd like to see their support for FT continue for a long time to come. I know Randy indicated they'd continue to be associated with FT but is that long term or during a transition for the infrastructure? I have been around long enough to believe that any deal Randy made would've taken care of these guys, but I'm wondering where they are left by the sale. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.