Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Only Randy Petersen
Reload this Page >

Q/A with Internet Brands (purchase of FlyerTalk)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Q/A with Internet Brands (purchase of FlyerTalk)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:30 pm

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
First I would like to welcome you to the site. And I do mean that sincerely.

As one of the few outspoken folks who is worried about the transfer of FT to IB and what will become of the site I do appreicate the post here. Maybe it was the leaked story that raised my red flags I don't know. I won't harp on issues I've already raised and have spoken with others about but I would like to say that you have made a purchase of something that is more then a web site. Maybe you got yourself a cult I do know that FF's are not normal folks (some of us more abnormal then others ).

From the expressions of congratulations and the worries and the concerns and such I hope you are finding out how much FT means to folks and how much we all appreciate the efforts of Randy and the entire staff and volunteers and how this leaked story shocked some of us. I hope even though Randy assures us and you assure us that Randy and the staff will remain active in FT that you are active or around as well and join the fun.

I hope for the site improvements and the growth of FT as we know it and will say my mea culpas in a few years.

Originally Posted by JohnMcG
My name is John McGanty, and I'm the General Manager of the Travel Division of Internet Brands. It is great to see the appreciation expressed in many of these posts for the work both Randy and the FlyerTalk community have done in building FlyerTalk into such a valuable travel resource. Internet Brands is delighted to have the opportunity to become involved with FlyerTalk. I echo Randy's comments that we don't have an agenda for making changes to the site. We will look to the FlyerTalk community and moderators, as well as Randy and his team, to guide that visioning. Internet Brands brings some technical and business resources which we hope can make FlyerTalk even stronger. Randy has committed to staying actively involved with the site for years to come, and we are looking forward to the continued growth and success of FlyerTalk!
Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Punki
Peruse my FlyerTalk photosite and you will learn a lot about FlyerTalk.

Here is one of my all-time favorite FT pics.
As Bob Hope used to say, "Thanks for the Memories!"
Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Congratulations Randy! ^
And a big thank you to you. I've just made the transfer from Marriott to go over 2mm on AA, and even more important than that: because of you I got to ride r/t in the Concorde for 50K miles and $70 and I'll remember that long after I've stopped enjoying any PLT benefits I have.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:48 pm

Randy, how much money have you made from our contributions?
Old Mar 9, 2007, 1:32 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Randy, congratulations to you for taking the high road by informing us and being transparent. It is a breath of fresh air in this day and age.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 2:00 am

Wow, I think this is my first post after lurking for many months! But Randy, your announcement was enough to bring me out of the woodwork; I'm more of a frequent traveler than a frequent flyer but the two are not incompatible. I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate the site and the work you've done. Secondly, my initial reaction to the news of your selling the site was negative; then I remembered my friend's husband - more than a decade ago he created one of the first language-learning sites; for the times it was a great success and he had many mega-dollar offers to buy it. But it was his baby, he couldn't bring himself to sell it. Well, you can guess the rest ... and I have to listen to the whining! You made the right decision for yourself; and I'm sure the rest of us will be just fine. I hope this gives you the opportunity for a lot of leisure travel and that you have many frequent flyer points in your future.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 2:10 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Good business transaction that I would have done if I were in Randy's position. However, I hate marketers with an undying passion, they're the reason the world is such a horrible place. That's why I will stop coming to this website. It was fun while it lasted.

Last edited by Randy Petersen; Mar 9, 2007 at 4:28 am
Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:28 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Originally Posted by cur
Good business transaction that I would have done if I were in Randy's position. However, I hate marketers with an undying passion, they're the reason the world is such a horrible place. That's why I will stop coming to this website. It was fun while it lasted.
Congrats to Randy on the sale. I guess it's a win-win situation where Randy is still considered the owner of the site but doesn't have to fork out the hosting fees etc.

With respect to the comment about marketers above.....when viewing www.flyertalk.com now, several other sites are visited during the page load including google-analytics and a multitude of other sites - this was never the case before and just started happening around a month or two months ago. Coincidently (or not) i've been getting a lot more travel related spam through my filters.

Can someone more tech/internet savvy please explain what these sites are and what effect they have on users browsing here.

Last edited by Randy Petersen; Mar 9, 2007 at 4:29 am
Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
In any merger&acquisition activity, it's common practice to reassure customers and employees that everything will remain on an even keel. This is important because everyone concerned wishes to avoid impairing the value of the asset right from the start. Change, if any is contemplated, is introduced gradually and after the initial hubbub has died down.

So the real test here is not what is said now, but what happens -- or fails to happen -- later.
I'm going to have to quote myself here:
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Ahh... sort of like petting a dog and calling it a good dog before taking it out back and shooting it.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 4:39 am
Founder of FlyerTalk
Original Poster

I'll see what the tech guys can contribute to this. From this end, it doesn't sound like anything since we have not done anything different the past few months. As for Google Analytics, we started to use that program nearly a year ago. Pretty much every Web site uses it to measure traffic, things like average length of time members spend on FlyerTalk, what page they enter FlyerTalk at, etc. We moved to Analytics from another traffic measuring program we used for years prior to that. It helps us when we did the Web site re-design a few years back. It is helping us now figure out how to best position the member blog, The Gate. It helps us measure where our peak times of traffic are so we can try to schedule down time for upgrades and maintenance during the slowest times. As for other Web sites, that's a bit beyond me and I'll have the tech guys answer that if you don't mind. I do know we've done nothing out of the ordinary the past few months other than introduce a few new forums that the member-elected TalkBoard voted to introduce based on input from the members of FlyerTalk.

Thanks for the question.

Originally Posted by slickalick
Congrats to Randy on the sale. I guess it's a win-win situation where Randy is still considered the owner of the site but doesn't have to fork out the hosting fees etc.

With respect to the comment about marketers above.....when viewing www.flyertalk.com now, several other sites are visited during the page load including google-analytics and a multitude of other sites - this was never the case before and just started happening around a month or two months ago. Coincidently (or not) i've been getting a lot more travel related spam through my filters.

Can someone more tech/internet savvy please explain what these sites are and what effect they have on users browsing here.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 5:28 am

Programs: HHonors, United Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks, American AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards, Priority Club
While I'm sorry to see the site go "corporate," I can offer nothing but congratulations to you, Randy. You've created something special and nurtured it through time to be my one-source of travel-related information. You deserve whatever benefits you receive...it is, afterall, your baby.

As for Internet Brands, I trust that during their drive to ensure profitability they will still find a way to keep this site objective, fair and balanced...that is what it is known for: honest opinions and sharing.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 6:36 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Randy-

All the best - and thanks for all you have done. The number of incredible (and free!) truly first-class trips I have had due to this board is simply not to be believed.

And if I've learned anything from this board, it's that nothing lasts forever! Whatever the future holds for FlyerTalk, you personally don't owe us anything. That said, it's comforting to know you'll still be around.

Again, good luck.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Congratulations, Randy!

I would do the exact same thing if I was in your position.

Even though I have only been with FT since 2003, the benefits that I have received have been immense, and I try my best to contribute to what made FT as great as it has been, to the point that IB is interested enough to buy it from you.

As many other posters have indicated, I am quite dissapointed that IB has not contributed more to the discussion. Perhaps that will change as the IB people begin to understand the FT culture better, how we are no hold barred in our POV, etc...

Last edited by sapguy; Mar 9, 2007 at 6:51 am
Old Mar 9, 2007, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by JohnMcG
My name is John McGanty, and I'm the General Manager of the Travel Division of Internet Brands. It is great to see the appreciation expressed in many of these posts for the work both Randy and the FlyerTalk community have done in building FlyerTalk into such a valuable travel resource. Internet Brands is delighted to have the opportunity to become involved with FlyerTalk. I echo Randy's comments that we don't have an agenda for making changes to the site. We will look to the FlyerTalk community and moderators, as well as Randy and his team, to guide that visioning. Internet Brands brings some technical and business resources which we hope can make FlyerTalk even stronger. Randy has committed to staying actively involved with the site for years to come, and we are looking forward to the continued growth and success of FlyerTalk!
Welcome to FT.

As you can see from my post congratulating Randy, it is imperative that you and your team quickly understand the FT culture and mindset - do so ASAP. IMO, the only way to do that is to post regularly, to respond to our comments and concerns, to show that you BELONG with all of us.

If you do not do that, and soon, there will be a trickle of defection and disinterest (remember that everyone who joined FT up to now TRUSTED Randy), and IB will lose the most precious asset of FT: its members and frequent posters.

I am looking forward to see IB "improve" FT. Go ahead and SURPRISE US with your great ideas to make us logging in to FT a better experience that we have had under Randy.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 7:09 am

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by cur

Since I have been a marketeer all my life I take exception to this remark. If it weren't for the drive to get sales nothing would ever change. No businesses, no new inventions, no social services etc. Everything involves sales of some type. This is a good forum but introducing a company that is the business of selling something is not a bad thing it is a good thing. Why is it good? Because if it fails they will lose their database and then they will no longer exist. Bottom line they will lose money if this forum is not run correctly so they will ultimately either run it correctly or fold. Since they don't wish to end their opportunities here on Flyertalk they should be in gear to offer us more, and that is good.
Also your attitude of taking your marbles and going home does everyone a disservice. If everyone felt this way nothing ever would change. Change for the most part, although anxiety producing, is GOOD!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.