Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Only Randy Petersen
Reload this Page >

Q/A with Internet Brands (purchase of FlyerTalk)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Q/A with Internet Brands (purchase of FlyerTalk)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2007, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Far, far less than you might think. Let's see, literally no profits (first break even year was last year) so what's a multiple of nothing? Because the Web site is a possible copyright transaction - 40% federal and state tax category. Personal investment over the past almost nine years in the hundreds and hundreds of thousands. So, i'm trying to whisper but nothing is coming out. My reward? Great satisfaction in knowing that I have helped in the process of tens of thousands of frequent flyers get better at their travels..... just like the MasterCard commercial, that is "priceless" to me. Besides, it it was much, why the heck would i want to stay around for another four years - this ain't no presidential election you know!

Somehow i knew you'd be the one to ask me.... but you're no Maria Bartiromo!
Congratulations, Randy!

Glad to have lent a very small support by subscribing to Inside Flyer - which I kept renewing - among other things - for being able to use FT for free.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 1:17 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Congratulations, Randy. Given all your generosity over the years, I am glad to see some of that generosity come back to you in the form of a sale. I suspect that you picked a buyer that would keep the employees and FT mission in mind and accordingly I look forward to many more FT years ahead.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
Congratulations Randy! You have developed a brand, a meeting place for frequent flyers. Make no mistake, this is no airline lounge!

We are all wealthier for your initial step to set up www.flyertalk.com, whether it be in the mind or in the pocket ^

I'm drunk so I'm going to bed! I'd send you a Boddingtons if I had one Randy!

Tell me, please, have you had a Boddies before Randy?
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Congratulations Randy. Your generosity and dedication has made FlyerTalk the success it is today. Thank you for continuing to provide leadership in the future.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:16 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
FT was sold

Man, hope new management doesn't read my posts, otherwise I am outta here
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Randy: Thanks so much for everything you have done, and congrats!

Just a very, very minor question:
I assume that we can no longer purchase a yearly subscription to InsideFlyer and get ad free surfing on FT? This has without question been one of the best investments I have made!^
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:23 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Kind of seems like the baby has grown up and gone off to college. It seemed like just yesterday there were a few of us talking about frequent flier travel. I hope the original spirit remains.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Randy: Thanks so much for everything you have done, and congrats!

Just a very, very minor question:
I assume that we can no longer purchase a yearly subscription to InsideFlyer and get ad free surfing on FT? This has without question been one of the best investments I have made!^
See the last question/answer in Randy's opening post ... the option will continue to be made available. I agree that its been a real win-win situation for both sides, I'm glad to see the option continue as I hate the ads.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hope IB doesn't find out who we all are before you have a chance to flee the country.

Seriously, Congratulations Randy!
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Congratulations on the sale!

I hope the new owners exercise as good of judgment as you have over the years.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 11:31 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
Randy-

What a total validation of your efforts!
Old Mar 7, 2007, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen

I really hit it off with the head guy, Bob Brisco and he's quite the flexible guy.
Tell him he's invited on the Brooklyn Reality Tour. This is a good way for him to get to know us. Hopefully, you mentioned to Bob that it's his turn to sponsor the tour.

Speaking for myself and many other oldtimers here, I'd like to say that I'm proud of what you've accomplished. Glad to see someone was smart enough to recognize it.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 1:18 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
I guess I'm in the minority here.

Randy, you have the right to do what you want but I don't think this is a sweetheart deal like you make it sound. Those are rare, someone is going to lose in this and most likely it will be us, the people that post and read the content.

If IB wanted FT so bad why don't they introduce themselves and talk themselves. Why don't the issue statements or get in here and post. The fact that they haven't said anything (that I've seen) and refused to issue a statement has me worried right there.

For whatever reason I feel like this could be the begining of the end of FT. And I hope I am wrong.

I gotta be honest and say I hope that someone here will take the lead and start up another site so there is a place for us to jump ship to when IB messes up what you created, if that's soon or four years down the road, I hope someone will give us an alternative to go to. As I said I hope they don't mess it up but if they do I hope you can sit back and watch what happens to FT with a clear head and sleep good at night to see your creation being destroyed. From personal experience the worst thing I did in my life was sell off a business that I had little time for. To see what the new owner did to it made me ill and I felt betrayed and sick (and still do to this day).

For you personally, congrats, I hope you got what you wanted, but you could have made more if you charged a few bucks from us instead of being a sell out. I know you said it wasn't a money issue but something doesn't smell right, maybe it's all my years in business to not believe the written reports, if it sounds nice it's usually meaning that someone will get something else in the end.

I looked at their other sites and they contain very little compared to what I find in FT. What are they going to do, spend the next four years taking the content of FT to post on their other sites?

Last edited by Randy Petersen; Mar 8, 2007 at 6:26 am
Old Mar 8, 2007, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by KosraeTV
If IB wanted FT so bad why don't they introduce themselves and talk themselves. Why don't the issue statements or get in here and post. The fact that they haven't said anything (that I've seen) and refused to issue a statement has me worried right there.
FWIW here's what they told Christoper Elliott
http://ellipses.elliott.org/archives...rtalk_sold.php

"Per long-standing policy at Internet Brands, we don't disclose terms about acquisitions. However, I can confirm that Internet Brands did purchase Flyertalk.com. Randy will have an active role for years to come, largely unchanged from his role to date.
And then in the comments:
I welcome FlyerTalk to the family of travel sites at Internet Brands. Internet Brands has been a great company to work with in my experience, and I believe our site serves as proof that an IB acquisition will not change the editorial philosophy of a web site.

-- Paul Motter
Not drawing significant conclusions, but thought that sharing what they've actually said might be useful.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 5:12 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Originally Posted by gleff
FWIW here's what they told Christoper Elliott
http://ellipses.elliott.org/archives...rtalk_sold.php

Not drawing significant conclusions, but thought that sharing what they've actually said might be useful.
Saw it before I posted. One of the things that bothered me. The buy out was a month ago and nothing is said by them and when they are forced to make a statement that's what they do. As I said, something does not make sense in this deal on what has been reported and stated about what's going on.

As I say, could be time for someone to start up another site as I don't like the sound of what's going on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.