Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

CheapOair.com refused to give me refund after canceling my tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CheapOair.com refused to give me refund after canceling my tickets

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:45 am

Hi every one,

Feel sorry too, with the same Company" CheapOair" I have same issue, I bought insurance for in case my wife's Visa will be rejected for any reason, the cost of insurance was over $ 320., the agent who sold the tickets for our family promised me that if your wife wont get the Visa to Sweden then you will get refund for your ticket and you will get all your money$ 6000., So we bought the tickets for all my family, which cost over $6000., when i told them that my wife has refused by Sweden embassy front desk to got the Visa , they start to procrastinating, they ask me for a prove, I did show them the prove but they still refused it to refund our tickets, In the end they gave me one choice, which they said to us " you have one year to fly within a year or no refund" so they in force me to accepted with no other choice, but now its Corona Issues, i have three very young kids we don't want to go to Sweden any more, so still process on...
So please as family we cannot afford to travel again if they dont refund our money, since my wife haven't seen her parents for more than 13 years..we need help! to find solution to get our money back!!

Simon

Last edited by Simon Zomaya; Apr 17, 2020 at 8:57 am
Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What do the terms & conditions of the OTA's contract say about refunds when a visa is denies?

What happens here will depend largely on that contract.

Without that information, it will be hard to help you.

It would also be helpful -- although not essential -- to know the exact routing and air carrier(s).
Old Jun 9, 2020, 5:46 pm

Runaround

We are currently dealing with cheapoair and getting a refund for our son’s plane ticket. Due to COVID-19, the airline canceled the flight, and cheapoair said they’d refund the ticket cost plus the cancellation fee. Idk why we were charged a cancellation fee when we weren’t the ones who canceled the flight. Now m, cheapoair is saying they won’t refund the cancellation fee because it’s not in a high risk region of COVID-19. And they said the ticket refund, we need to go to the airlines. Called the airlines and they said, cheapoair needs to give the refund. I’m so frustrated because everyone is pointing the finger at the other party. I just want my refund for the ticket we never used (or a credit to use on a future flight)!! And never will we use cheapoair again.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Details please? Airline and route? Paid with USA credit (not debit) card or by some other (specify) means? Do you have proof that the airline cancelled the flight?
Old Jun 10, 2020, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by pringlechic
We are currently dealing with cheapoair and getting a refund for our son’s plane ticket. Due to COVID-19, the airline canceled the flight, and cheapoair said they’d refund the ticket cost plus the cancellation fee. Idk why we were charged a cancellation fee when we weren’t the ones who canceled the flight. Now m, cheapoair is saying they won’t refund the cancellation fee because it’s not in a high risk region of COVID-19. And they said the ticket refund, we need to go to the airlines. Called the airlines and they said, cheapoair needs to give the refund. I’m so frustrated because everyone is pointing the finger at the other party. I just want my refund for the ticket we never used (or a credit to use on a future flight)!! And never will we use cheapoair again.
The airline can't make the refund to you; it was paid by CheapOair. You paid to CheapOair and you need to get your money back from CheapOair.

If CheapOair operates a fee for refunds - also in Covid-19 times - I don't see how you can avoid that. You accepted the t&c of CheapOair when you purchased the ticket. There is no law against a OTA applying a fee for making refunds, i.e. there is no right to get a full refund from a TA/OTA.

Next time book directly with the airline.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:02 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SK AAR
The airline can't make the refund to you; it was paid by CheapOair. You paid to CheapOair and you need to get your money back from CheapOair.

If CheapOair operates a fee for refunds - also in Covid-19 times - I don't see how you can avoid that. You accepted the t&c of CheapOair when you purchased the ticket. There is no law against a OTA applying a fee for making refunds, i.e. there is no right to get a full refund from a TA/OTA.

Next time book directly with the airline.
It depends.

If OTA merely sold the air ticket as a “pass thru,” the credit card merchant of record is the airline and the passenger’s funds is directly with the airline. In this case the airline can make the refund. Question is whether they want to. As an example, AA, IB, AC have been issuing refunds on OTA tickets directly back to form of payment upon passenger request while BA insist refund request need to be initiated by OTA.

If OTA is merchant of record and they purchased a ticket out of it’s own funds then the passenger’s funds is with OTA.

If ticket involves a US point, it may be illegal for OTA to impose a refund handling fee if airline cancelled as per 14 CFR § 399.80 (l).
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Also, I don't think an OLTA can add a refund fee to its T&Cs retroactively. If there was no fee when the ticket was purchased, AFAIK the OLTA can't add a fee later.
seawolf and Spiff like this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 10:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Also, I don't think an OLTA can add a refund fee to its T&Cs retroactively. If there was no fee when the ticket was purchased, AFAIK the OLTA can't add a fee later.
Agreed as well. There are reports that Ovago have retroactively applied a refund "handling" fee before submitting any refund request. They are effectively holding refunds hostage unless purchaser agrees to this new fee if the airline don't want to process OTA-issued refunds directly upon passenger request and insist refund request must be submitted by OTA (eg BA and other carriers).
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:51 pm

Cheapoair .com refused to give me refund mistake a canceling my ticket

About a month ago I was making a booking on cheapoair I mess up on the destination and don’t look look over my booking so I make the booking after I realize I make a mistake I call customer service on cheapoair less that a hour customer service told me that I can’t make any changes or cancel my tickets if they cancel my ticket I have to pay about $300 to cancel and get some of my money back so I told them I don’t have any money to do that and I make a mistake on the booking less that a hour so I call my bank I told them what happened so the bank cancel my bank card and told they are working on it to get my refund back and I got back 10% of my money back and a month pass by and now cheapoair is email me about I have to pay them back the money the bank give me or I they will put it in collection and black list me on airline what can I do I need help so CheapOair what to destroy my credit I don’t known what to do 🙁
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Usually you can cancel airline tickets for free within 24hours.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 6:02 am

We received a communication from your Bank informing us that you had disputed the charge of $232.30 paid towards purchase of the above tickets. As a result, your bank reversed the transaction, and the Money was taken back from the airline. We received a notice from the Airline informing us that payment towards this ticket is warranted.

If this charge was disputed in error, kindly give us your authorization to re-bill you the same amount on the same card in order to resolve the matter amicably I need help please I got emails from they every two day

Last edited by Simone1980; Mar 25, 2024 at 6:08 am
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Haha...clearly the airline intends to debit Cheapoair for the ticket and Cheapoair has a problem because you did a charge back with your credit card issuer/your bank and your bank has reversed the charge/returned the money to you. I suggest you answer Cheapoair that you contacted Cheapoair within 24 hours of buying the ticket on their website, to cancel the ticket and get a full refund and if Cheapoair failed to inform the airline about the cancellation within 24 hours, it is their problem and not yours.

Cheapoair has no possibility of blacklisting you with the airline; they are trying to scare you.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post # 27)
Cheapoair has no possibility of blacklisting you with the airline; they are trying to scare you.
If any collection agency should contact you, simply tell them the matter is under dispute, and say nothing more.

Stay strong! Do not let yourself be bullied into unwarranted surrender.
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 7:32 pm

I open my account and now my bank is charging me to pay back the money for cheapoair my bank take back the money from my account Why are they doing this to me
Old Apr 12, 2024, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talk to your bank. It seems that the charge back was not finally approved by the bank/credit card issuer as presumably Cheapoair has explained to the bank that the charge back you initiated has no merits.
Spiff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.