Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JAXBA
FAQ

When is [insert airline here] joining oneworld???
Which airlines are lined up to join?
See list below and
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Another useful page for official announcements is: https://www.oneworld.com/news-information/oneworldnews

Current members elect (officially announced and currently aligning processes):

WY - Oman Air
Announced 20JUN22, with a target of '2024' - no indication yet when in 2024 this may be. https://www.oneworld.com/news/2022-0...-join-oneworld

Expected members:

FJ - Fiji Airways
Currently the only oneworld Connect member, FJ stated 28FEB24 that they would like to seek full membership and would apply in Q3 2024.Full membership may still take until 2025/2026. #1489 and https://onemileatatime.com/news/fiji-airways-oneworld/

EI - Aer Lingus
EI's new owners, IAG (owners of existing members BA+IB), stated before acquisition that they fully intended EI to rejoin, and have restated the intention since completing the purchase. EI has not yet been publically 'invited' by oneworld but should join eventually. When? When it's announced... When will EI become a full member of Oneworld?
Originally Posted by Willie Walsh via USA Today - 18NOV16
Walsh said it was too early to set a precise date for when Aer Lingus might officially join.
“We don’t have a specific timeline. We’re working as quickly as we can," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...-ceo/94064688/

Potential members:
Well, that's what the discussion below is all about! Heard a rumour? Think oneworld should chase a particular airline to join or switch? Make your case!

Print Wikipost

Who will be the next oneworld member? + New membership announcements [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Calchas
I expect it will be extinguished.
Not necessarily. If they devide it is worthwhile, they could become a full member or continue as an AB affiliate. Adria is much smaller and is still a full member in *A.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AJones2000
Not necessarily. If they devide it is worthwhile, they could become a full member or continue as an AB affiliate. Adria is much smaller and is still a full member in *A.
Aye, it could happen, but it isn't what I expect.

For a carrier focusing on point-to-point leisure shorthaul, alliance membership offers little advantage at a high cost.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:57 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by BUMBLES
Would SQ let that happen?
They don't seem to give a flying flute with Star Alliance anyway, so I hope they do. There's only one chair left in the game of musical chairs in India if Jet does go to Skyteam, since *A already has AI.

Vistara in oneworld will make financial sense for SQ in the long run as it should aid its growth and profitability. SQ isn't the main shareholder anyway in UK - Tata is. The last time SQ had 49% stake in something (VS) they didn't manage to get VS to join *A as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if Vistara makes its way to OW.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:40 pm

What about Etihad

I know this is a bit of a longshot - okay, it's never going to happen! But now that it looks like the end of Etihad Airways Partners, could the Gulf airline be looking for a new club?

As much as I doubt it, there seems to be a lot of soul searching going on at Etihad!

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 14, 2017 at 9:43 am Reason: Oops, thought was Etihad
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:34 pm

It doesn't make any sense to me to even invite Etihad in when Qatar is already a member.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 14, 2017 at 9:42 am Reason: Oops, sorry thought was Etihad
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
EY seems to be heading more towards Star Alliance, especially with the hearsay in the Air Berlin forum that their potential divestment of their European carriers being bought by Lufthansa and EY potentially taking a 10% stake in LH, and the code sharing and whatnot.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 14, 2017 at 9:42 am Reason: Oops, sorry thought was in Etihad
Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Bloomberg: oneworld Airline Group Mulling Low-Cost, Emerging-Market Members

The oneworld alliance, which includes British Airways and American Airlines, is reviewing the case for seeking members from the ranks of discount carriers while exploring measures to fill gaps in emerging markets.
Plans for Ireland’s Aer Lingus to join oneworld after its purchase by BA owner International Consolidated Airlines Group SA provide an opportunity for the alliance to simplify the process for integrating new members, he said, though the timing is a matter for IAG and “scoping work” hasn’t yet started.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by wowzimmer
I know this is a bit of a longshot - okay, it's never going to happen! But now that it looks like the end of Etihad Airways Partners, could the Gulf airline be looking for a new club?

As much as I doubt it, there seems to be a lot of soul searching going on at Etihad!
I would love to see Air Serbia be a Oneworld member to replace Malev to cover the southern europe
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by JAXBA
oneworld Airline Group Mulling Low-Cost, Emerging-Market Members[/U][/URL]
Obviously with Vueling and Jetstar's (Australia/NZ, Asia (Singapore), Japan, Pacific (Vietnam)) as likely joiners.

Question is how would it work - obviously the LCCs are low cost because they often don't provide perks and utilise low cost GDSs

To give an example of how Jetstar currently works with QF FF.
- Points redemptions available (normally at slight discount to QF)
- Points / status credits earn only available if you pay for a Plus/ Max pack (ranging from US$25 on short flights to US$300 on international) which combines luggage/meal/points earn
- No priority checkin
- No baggage benefits
- Lounge access to QF lounges where it exists (and in a number of airports like SYD/MEL/NRT they operate from different terminals or at times when the QF lounge isnt open like SIN/OOL)
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by moa999
Obviously with Vueling and Jetstar's (Australia/NZ, Asia (Singapore), Japan, Pacific (Vietnam)) as likely joiners.

Question is how would it work - obviously the LCCs are low cost because they often don't provide perks and utilise low cost GDSs

To give an example of how Jetstar currently works with QF FF.
- Points redemptions available (normally at slight discount to QF)
- Points / status credits earn only available if you pay for a Plus/ Max pack (ranging from US$25 on short flights to US$300 on international) which combines luggage/meal/points earn
- No priority checkin
- No baggage benefits
- Lounge access to QF lounges where it exists (and in a number of airports like SYD/MEL/NRT they operate from different terminals or at times when the QF lounge isnt open like SIN/OOL)
A few years ago, I booked a CBR-MEL-NRT flight (NRT-SYD-CBR return). QF ticket from travel agent. MEL-NRT on JQ (only JQ flight I've ever taken).
It was Y for the AU domestic flights, PE for NRT-SYD and J for MEL-NRT.
The JQ flight was treated as if it were a JQ J Max, even though it wasn't booked as such. I assume because it was a QF ticket.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 11:30 pm

Probably booked on the QF codeshare which exists on many JQ services
Old Feb 25, 2017, 2:06 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by moa999
Probably booked on the QF codeshare which exists on many JQ services
Nope. It was booked as JQ23. QF does not sell codeshares on JQ in business.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:51 am

Qatar India rumoured. More chance of OW than Vistara

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1357291
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:24 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
AA is considering taking a minority interest in China Southern, looking for codeshare opportunities.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business...-china-gadfly/

Deepening ties with China Southern is an alternative way in. American can’t increase services into China on its own planes, but a code-share agreement with a Chinese carrier would allow it to buy seats on a partner’s aircraft and offer “virtual” capacity instead.

This mooted investment doesn’t yet do that — but by investing in China Southern, American’s Chief Executive Officer Doug Parker raises the odds of getting the Guangzhou-based carrier to join it in the Oneworld grouping, which would open the door to the real prize of coordinating code-shares, frequent-flier programs and airport schedules.
I'm not holding my breath; I'd imagine CX would have something pithy to say about it.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:46 am

And Qatar India looks more promising
http://www.livemint.com/Companies/8A...s-amid-Mo.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.