Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

How Do Airlines Know Your OW Status?

Old Dec 27, 11, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG

If someone has OW status, how do the OW airlines know?

A relative of mine expects to gain OW Ruby status by virtue of having status on a OW airline (not AA).

Later, if she decides to fly on AA using a ticket purchased on AA.com, how will AA.com know to offer her the benefits that go with Ruby?

Thank you.
Old Dec 27, 11, 8:49 am

She'd have to either add that airlines' FF number to the ticket or ask for the benefits by showing the card (if she's gotten it by then)
Old Dec 27, 11, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
In this case, she will want AA miles and not miles from the other airline's FF program. I wonder if there is any way to do some sort of permanent linkage (OW status -> AA status) online?
Old Dec 28, 11, 4:13 am

Programs: SK EBS, CC Gold
It is linked. Just add AA number into reservation on any OW carrier and status should be updated.
Old Dec 28, 11, 8:52 pm

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat View Post
In this case, she will want AA miles and not miles from the other airline's FF program. I wonder if there is any way to do some sort of permanent linkage (OW status -> AA status) online?
So are you saying that your relative wants to use Ruby status from another airline while accuring miles to AAdvatage? If so, she would have to change the FF number during check-in. Any OW airline can see the status of FF card holders from another OW airline from their system.
Old Dec 29, 11, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by the810 View Post
It is linked. Just add AA number into reservation on any OW carrier and status should be updated.
The OP was asking about a permanent linkage (between two OW accounts, one with status and one without), as AFAIK there is none.

The post above details how to do it (change FF program at check-in) for a paid flight. (You buy the flight using the FF program you have status with, then at check-in change to the FF program you want to earn with.)

I still don't understand how/if I can use my OW status benefits if I book using miles from a OW partner where I don't have status. (In particular, I have EXP now and lifetime PLT status at AA, but no status while a lot of miles over at BA, and with Avios new scheme, for short intra-US flights, BA miles may sometimes make more sense than AA miles. But how do I get priority check-in, priority boarding, etc, if my BA account with which I book the award flight on AA and my AA account that has the status aren't linked? (And I'm not aware of a feature on ba.com where I can specify another OW account while booking a flight using BA miles.)
Old Dec 29, 11, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
The OP was asking about a permanent linkage (between two OW accounts, one with status and one without), as AFAIK there is none.

The post above details how to do it (change FF program at check-in) for a paid flight. (You buy the flight using the FF program you have status with, then at check-in change to the FF program you want to earn with.)

I still don't understand how/if I can use my OW status benefits if I book using miles from a OW partner where I don't have status. (In particular, I have EXP now and lifetime PLT status at AA, but no status while a lot of miles over at BA, and with Avios new scheme, for short intra-US flights, BA miles may sometimes make more sense than AA miles. But how do I get priority check-in, priority boarding, etc, if my BA account with which I book the award flight on AA and my AA account that has the status aren't linked? (And I'm not aware of a feature on ba.com where I can specify another OW account while booking a flight using BA miles.)
You can simply change the frequent flyer number associated with the reservation using Manage My Booking while not logged into your BAEC account.
Old Jan 1, 12, 6:18 am

Ruby/Emerald

I booked an RJ flight a few months ago, when I was Gold with AA. Subsequently my status changed to Platinum, but when I flew today, RJ insisted I was "only" Ruby, so they would not admit me to the lounge (in TLV.) I showed them my Platinum card, to no avail.

Has this happened to others? I thought the system should be better than this.
Old Jan 1, 12, 8:32 am

In Malev lounges in BUD they need the card as they can't access the whatever systems they would need to access to see your status. They don't trust either the emerald printed on the boarding pass.
Old Jan 2, 12, 11:06 am

Programs: AA, SPG
I'm trying to figure this out as well. Dans deals dot com had a link about joining kingfisher as a silver without any flights and then when kingfisher joins OW, you have ruby status automatically. So I'm trying to figure out if I can use that to get free baggage on aa routes and aa revenue , just saying "i am ow ruby can i check bags free?".

I'm wondering if it matters which OW partner one books with.
Old Jan 4, 12, 5:29 pm

They have an eye scanner that scans your eye to identify if you are oneworld ruby. :P
Old Jan 4, 12, 11:10 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WiseFlyer View Post
I booked an RJ flight a few months ago, when I was Gold with AA. Subsequently my status changed to Platinum, but when I flew today, RJ insisted I was "only" Ruby, so they would not admit me to the lounge (in TLV.) I showed them my Platinum card, to no avail.

Has this happened to others? I thought the system should be better than this.
This (old status) is very common, after you get new status you need to call and ask AA (in your case and mine) to update all your reservations to the new status. For some reason the status at the time of ticketing seems to stick unless manual action is taken.

Not accepting the Platinum card is a new one, I have seen the opposite - reservation and ticket show status but no club access without a card. This is the first time I have heard of Card showing OW Emerald or Sapphire + OW boarding card <> club access
Old Jan 6, 12, 9:56 am
Ambassador: LAN LANPASS

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avianca Lifemiles Diamond
In my experience AA doesn't tie up too neatly when you are a OW elite on another OW carrier. I do about 2/3 of my flying on AA but am a LAN Sapphire.

I find that although my FF number appears on my boarding pass, status does NOT. The only time I have really pulled them up on it was in HNL when my FF number didn't appear on my boarding pass.

I asked them to make sure it was added to my reservation, the woman checked and at that point manually stamped my boarding pass with "Gold Lane"

So it seems that in the system the status appears but it does not show on the boarding pass, not much use if you want to use AA preferential boarding because your boarding pass doesn't show OW elite status.

That said AA doesn't really extend many benefits to other OW elites, for example no access to blocked out seating as an AA elite would have on LAN. As a Sapphire it would be handier for getting into their lounges if they could print status on the BP
Old Jan 6, 12, 12:32 pm

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia View Post
In my experience AA doesn't tie up too neatly when you are a OW elite on another OW carrier. I do about 2/3 of my flying on AA but am a LAN Sapphire.

I find that although my FF number appears on my boarding pass, status does NOT. The only time I have really pulled them up on it was in HNL when my FF number didn't appear on my boarding pass.

I asked them to make sure it was added to my reservation, the woman checked and at that point manually stamped my boarding pass with "Gold Lane"

So it seems that in the system the status appears but it does not show on the boarding pass, not much use if you want to use AA preferential boarding because your boarding pass doesn't show OW elite status.

That said AA doesn't really extend many benefits to other OW elites, for example no access to blocked out seating as an AA elite would have on LAN. As a Sapphire it would be handier for getting into their lounges if they could print status on the BP
That's contrary to my experience though. I am a CX Sapphire and my status always shows on my AA BPs, whether I booked if through CX or on AA.com.
Old Jan 6, 12, 4:18 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by ernestnywang View Post
That's contrary to my experience though. I am a CX Sapphire and my status always shows on my AA BPs, whether I booked if through CX or on AA.com.
This is my experience as well. Yesterday I (AY Gold = OW Sapphire) flew LHR-ORD on AA. The BP doesn't have my FF number, but it clearly states SAPPHIRE. Actually twice

Search this Thread
Search Engine: